Favorite pork rub?

Killa J

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I’ve made 2 meat rubs that turned out fantastic. But like a bonehead, I don’t have either recipe. One is a steak rub that I remember the ingredients but not ratio. The other one was a pork rub that I named Piggy Stardust. I actually had that one written down, but the notebook got misplaced.

Anyway, I’m annoyed that I lost my recipe and don’t feel like trying to recreate it. What’s your favorite commercial rub for pork?

Last edited:
Well, slow down there....and lets define pork.

Ribs - Oakridge Dominator, or BPS Pecan or Obie Cue Sweet n Heat
Pork Tenderloin - BPS Sweet n Spicy, BPS Money, Oakridge Secret Weapon
Pork Chops - Depends. lots of variation
other contenders: Oakridge Jah Love Jerk seasoning makes great pork. I also like a greek pork souvlaki with lemon, olive oil, garlic, and oregano.

Pork Butt - I find it doesn't matter...as long as it creates a good bark.

Just a few off the top.

Well, slow down there....and lets define pork.

Ribs - Oakridge Dominator, or BPS Pecan or Obie Cue Sweet n Heat
Pork Tenderloin - BPS Sweet n Spicy, BPS Money, Oakridge Secret Weapon
Pork Chops - Depends. lots of variation
other contenders: Oakridge Jah Love Jerk seasoning makes great pork. I also like a greek pork souvlaki with lemon, olive oil, garlic, and oregano.

Pork Butt - I find it doesn't matter...as long as it creates a good bark.

Just a few off the top.

Regarding Pork Butt, what you really like? What about Quality Salt, Pepper and Garlic?

Thank you.

Piggy Stardust was magic on ribs and pork butt. So that’s what I’m looking for. I don’t like overly sweet ribs, so it worked for both.

I get creative with all cuts but usually have a vision for it. Pork is stupid versatile, I've done asian hot/savory, bbq, sweet, basic, greek, whatever inspires. Usually my sides decide my mood, then I season the protien to match.

Here’s what I remember from it, so maybe something in the same vein:

The usuals (salt, sugar, garlic, black pepper)
Cinnamon
Cumin
Turmeric
Ginger
Celery seed

I think there were 1 or 2 more ingredients, but I don’t remember what. It had a hint of spiciness, but it may have been from fresh ground pepper.

Cinnamon
Cumin
Turmeric
Ginger
Celery seed

I think there were 1 or 2 more ingredients, but I don’t remember what. It had a hint of spiciness, but it may have been from fresh ground pepper.

Thank you.

I'm pretty fond of Dink's Chick & Butt rub. I learned of it through Paul Shirley. It's not commercial (like buy in a store) but he makes it fresh like Oakridge so it takes a few days to fill the orders but it's good stuff.

My go-to for pork is Oakridge Secret Weapon. This crew will give you many other good options too. Try ‘em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Several votes for Oakridge, going to give them a try. I also think I’m going to try this dry mojo seasoning I got, too. Local store has pork butt for $0.69/pound for a 2 pack. Good price to try out different things. I’m still learning my smoker, so I won’t feel too bad if I mess one up.

I saw the ad for boston butt at Rouses and tempted to go grab a couple myself. I don't overthink my rub on the butts, I use to make my own rub, but for the time and cost I found that buying a big container of Byron's from Sam's is about as easy and cheap as it come and works pretty good on butts.
'

Seems to be a lot of Louisiana dudes on here, I’m originally from Slidell. I rarely meet anyone that barbecues other than having a gas grill.

Cinnamon
Cumin
Turmeric
Ginger
Celery seed

You might want to try Bovine Bold. Maybe, and im just throwing this out there since ive used both on pork, but a 50/50 Bovine bold/Yard bird. Honestly, now i want to try that combo, lol.

Cinnamon
Cumin
Turmeric
Ginger
Celery seed

Since you have cinnamon listed, I would probably suggest Oakridge Dominator, distinct cinnamon taste. Not for me though, I like Porkmafia Memphis Mud on ribs, butts I don't really cook that much anymore, Tatonka Dust on chops.

The kick I've been on lately is a liberal coating of coarse kosher salt, coarse black pepper and garlic and onion powder. After pulling/cutting it up I'll then season it further depending on my intended use for it.

This may be a little controversial, but I feel like using an expensive rub for the exterior of a butt doesn't add much to the overall flavor. Sure you'll get some flavorful bark bites, but I feel like you really build the flavor from either adding additional rub post pulling or adding a vinegar/hot sauce/Carolina style finishing sauce.

The kick I've been on lately is a liberal coating of coarse kosher salt, coarse black pepper and garlic and onion powder. After pulling/cutting it up I'll then season it further depending on my intended use for it.

This may be a little controversial, but I feel like using an expensive rub for the exterior of a butt doesn't add much to the overall flavor. Sure you'll get some flavorful bark bites, but I feel like you really build the flavor from either adding additional rub post pulling or adding a vinegar/hot sauce/Carolina style finishing sauce.

^^^^ I totally agree with this. I do both post pulling the adding of rub and my vinegar sauce. However, salt before cooking will help with the flavor of the meat.

I like Killer Hogs The BBQ Rub.

For a homemade rub, Meathead’s “Memphis Dust” is pretty dang good
3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup American paprika
1/4 cup garlic powder
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
2 tablespoons ground ginger powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 teaspoons rosemary powder
Full recipe: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/spice-rubs-and-pastes/meatheads-memphis-dust-rub-recipe

I have made/used that one quite a few times, and it is very good.

Killer Hogs The BBQ Rub is my go to. I've also used a Cuisinart pulled pork rub on a pork but and it was pretty good as well

Back