Question about used smokers

WhiskyJoe

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Hi All,

After some indecision, think I'm going to drop some $ on a Shirley patio. With a 30 month wait, I was thinking about picking up a decent used offset until it comes in. I'm in NJ, so I was looking at Meadow Creeks. Plan would be to list it once the Shirley arrives.

Wanted to hear y'alls thoughts on what to look at and where to find it. A 36-48" offset is fine for now. Would like something decent quality but doesn't need to be perfect.

Anything I should watch out for?

I would get something similar to the type of smoker you are waiting 2 1/2 years for :shock:

That way, you will have experience cooking with that style.

Unless the Shirley patio is getting customized, I don't think it takes nearly that long.

Meadow Creek is a great smoker. You would do fine with one those while you wait for your Shirley.

The Shirley Patio is a 24x36, and I believe the lead time on that particular cooker is roughly 8-10 weeks right now.

Unless the Shirley patio is getting customized, I don't think it takes nearly that long.

The Shirley Patio is a 24x36, and I believe the lead time on that particular cooker is roughly 8-10 weeks right now.

Hold on there SHBBQ and SBBBQ...

Shirley makes a non-customizable 24x36 patio with a short wait.

They also make any dang cooker you want in a patio. I've seen them up to a 24x50 at least.

Those are about a 30 month wait, but you should check with Tyler as they have a new shop opening which may reduce times eventually.

exactly. Been talking with Shirley and we're looking at ~30m. If I'm going to pay for this, I want to do it right. Thinking about 24x48 patio with warmer and a bunch of other options

Quality wise, I would rank the Meadow Creek right up with the Shirley Fab,. They are great cookers. You usually get more for your bucks with the Shirley though.

The Shirley learning curve will not be to bad and a great choice might I add.
Just me unless you got plenty of coin laying around especially with the holiday coming up. I would go with something you could keep and use as a back up for smaller cooks or something you can use for other type cooks.

With your new Shirly
I would add a WSM 22.5
Pellet grill / smoker
or a Kamado Joe / BGE type cooker

With Black Friday coming up some of these will be going on sale soon.

But that's just me.

Congrats on your Shirley choice.

Meadow Creek seems like a lot of money for a temporary unit that you will take a bath on. I think I'd be more tempted to look at something like an Old Country Brazos, or even a OK Joe Longhorn.

What kind of cookers do you have now?

I'm not looking to hold onto the interim offset (i.e. the MC). Wanted to pick up a used one so that I could resell close to cost. I have a WSM 22" and a RecTec Bull but want to get some exp with the offset while I wait.

How’s the used market where you live? When I search for used smokers, I find about 75 Masterbuilt electric smokers for sale at $25 less than new price.

I was thinking about picking up a decent used offset until it comes in. I'm in NJ, so I was looking at Meadow Creeks.

Gents...read again...he lives close to where Meadow Creek is made. He clearly sees some used in his area. In fact...I'm watching a PR36 used outside of St. Louis. (Internal firebox charcoal, not stickburner)

Yeah, that's the fatal flaw. Hit or miss. (lately more miss than hit). That might kill my idea

Yeah, that's the fatal flaw. Hit or miss. (lately more miss than hit). That might kill my idea

I'm in the same boat here in Jersey. It's been a total miss on finding pre-owned offsets locally. Well. Serious offsets that is, not the big box store brand stuff.

A lot of guys are getting the 36 model shirley while waiting on their big shirley. 8 weeks isn't too long. And there will be hardly any difference in how they cook. My 24x36 cooks just like my 24x55 straight back trailer. It just uses smaller splits and cooks a little quicker.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back