MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Food Handling General Discussion

Notices

Food Handling General Discussion General and open discussion for food handling and safety.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:33 AM   #1
Wornslick
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Forgot the Cry-O-Vac

Every year since I have worked for my current employer we have received a whole bone in Ozark Pride ham for Christmas and this year was no different. We wait until the Christmas rush is over then take the ham to the butcher shop where we purchase meat and they slice it into ham steaks, place them into cry-o-vac bags and we bring them back home and freeze them, using them through out the year.

This year was a little different though. Mrs. Slick took the ham yesterday and handed it to the girl behind the counter and told her we would like it cut into ham steaks which she gladly did but came back with them wrapped individually in freezer paper, Mrs. Slick failed to mention the cry-o-vac bag part to the girl behind the counter.

So my questions are....

Will they get freezer burn just wrapped in freezer paper?

If I have to re-wrap them what is the best way. Foil and re-wrap in the freezer paper, them maybe place them in freezer bags?

Now I know some of you will suggest that we buy a food saver machine and wrap them ourselves and we are giving that idea some thought but we really don't need one except when we fail to tell the butcher how we want our meat wrapped.

Thanks in advance for ideas or thoughts on this.

Baby Stumps

Blue Weber, with a table

" The sunshine bores the daylights out of me "
Wornslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->

Old 01-03-2015, 12:41 PM   #2
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

I think you'll find that if you buy a vac-sealer you'll use it much more than you thought you ever would.

But to simply answer you question, tightly wrapping in saran wrap and butting in a zip-loc bag will give you a safe 6 months in the freezer, maybe a month more, but wouldn't plan on it.

Vac-sealed bags have been found in the back/bottom of our freezers with dates two years old with no freezer burn or off taste. It tastes as fresh as when it was sealed. Granted I wouldn't intentionally keep food for two years but sometimes in the summer months, and during hunting season, I couldn't fit a sheet of paper in either of our freezers... LOL
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 01-04-2015, 09:21 AM   #3
Wornslick
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
I think you'll find that if you buy a vac-sealer you'll use it much more than you thought you ever would.

But to simply answer you question, tightly wrapping in saran wrap and butting in a zip-loc bag will give you a safe 6 months in the freezer, maybe a month more, but wouldn't plan on it.
Thanks IamMadMan, so should I remove them from the paper before wrapping in saran wrap?

Baby Stumps

Blue Weber, with a table

" The sunshine bores the daylights out of me "
Wornslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 04:24 PM   #4
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wornslick View Post
Thanks IamMadMan, so should I remove them from the paper before wrapping in saran wrap?
I would remove them from the paper unless you are using them within a week. The paper although folded has small openings where moisture could escape and cause freezer burn. The tighter the wrap and then putting into a zip-loc bag with the air removed will work good for about 6 months.
Thanks from: --->
Old 01-07-2015, 06:55 PM   #5
mchar69
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I thought of this post when I went into Costco and saw the
Food Saver Vacuum Sealer Machine for $59.
I paid $100 at Target. Get your bags online, that's where the cost is.
VacuumSealersUnlimited.com.
Clean your foam gaskets w/ water.
Especially if you are losing seal.
mchar69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 02-04-2015, 01:47 PM   #6
Deltaboy
Knows what a fatty is.

We do the same thing we wrap in plastic and put them in those zip lock freezer bags and they last at our house 6-8 months.
Deltaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 03:26 PM   #7
Tricky
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchar69 View Post
Clean your foam gaskets w/ water.
Especially if you are losing seal.
I wonder if this is the problem with mine. It seems to get a decent vac seal when the pump is sucking out the air, but right before it seals a bit of air seems to seep back in. Still has a pretty good vaccuum on it but it doesn't end up sealing at the point of highest vaccuum.
Rec Tec with bull horns -- UDS (Big Blue) -- 2 Weber kettles -- Weber gasser -- DCS outdoor stainless built-in nat. gasser with smoker box and rotisserie -- Dutch ovens a-plenty -- bright yellow can't-lose-me Thermapen
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 05:00 PM   #8
CowboySlim
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Just a quick note from a new member...(35 yrs as a food service professional) I came here looking for advice on cryovac safety. I was sure someone would have a definitive answer for my question: how long is cryovac packed meat good for? Well, there were two schools of thought expressed; one, the "indefinite", since the date is not usually stamped on cryovac packages; the other, offered personal experience and said, "not longer than six months." Well, I took a chance. I had a "Kentucky Legend" ham, cryovac sealed, but it had a date stamped on the outside. Feb 11, 2012 was as much as I could make out. I checked the supermarket, and the dates on their packages are all "Sell by" dates. That means the meat was probably packaged in late 2011, which would make the meat over 5 years old. As I cut into the plastic, I held the ham over the trash can as a precaution, expecting the stench of spoilage. As the juices started to flow out of the package, I put my finger in and tasted it. "Mmm, that tasted good" I thought, as I moved from the trash can to the kitchen sink. Five years that ham had been refrigerated, not frozen. And it baked up delicious. So, if I might weigh in on the cryovac discussion, I would go with the "indefinite". I shared that ham with some friends who complimented me on its yummy flavor. Oh, I did have a back-up plan...I had a chicken ready to roast if the ham hadn't been usable. Now, I can have chicken tomorrow. Thank you all for your input.
CowboySlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 05:15 PM   #9
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboySlim View Post
Just a quick note from a new member...(35 yrs as a food service professional) I came here looking for advice on cryovac safety. I was sure someone would have a definitive answer for my question: how long is cryovac packed meat good for? Well, there were two schools of thought expressed; one, the "indefinite", since the date is not usually stamped on cryovac packages; the other, offered personal experience and said, "not longer than six months." Well, I took a chance. I had a "Kentucky Legend" ham, cryovac sealed, but it had a date stamped on the outside. Feb 11, 2012 was as much as I could make out. I checked the supermarket, and the dates on their packages are all "Sell by" dates. That means the meat was probably packaged in late 2011, which would make the meat over 5 years old. As I cut into the plastic, I held the ham over the trash can as a precaution, expecting the stench of spoilage. As the juices started to flow out of the package, I put my finger in and tasted it. "Mmm, that tasted good" I thought, as I moved from the trash can to the kitchen sink. Five years that ham had been refrigerated, not frozen. And it baked up delicious. So, if I might weigh in on the cryovac discussion, I would go with the "indefinite". I shared that ham with some friends who complimented me on its yummy flavor. Oh, I did have a back-up plan...I had a chicken ready to roast if the ham hadn't been usable. Now, I can have chicken tomorrow. Thank you all for your input.
Wow, must have been pumped with a lot of nitrates.......

You are a braver man than I am Cowboy Slim...
Old 04-22-2016, 07:23 PM   #10
IamMadMan

Just checking in Cowboy Slim, to make sure all is well with you after your ham dinner.