What Internal temp do you cook a pork loin to?

What internal temp do you cook your pork loin to?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Solidkick

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
capnamerca brought up a good point in another thread where he stated to me in a PM that he had read to cook a pork loin to 190* I've never cooked one that high, I'm looking to pull it at 160*-165*.
To what internal temp do you cook a pork loin to?

The 190 mod was a willkat98 adaptation of the wrapped brisket technique. It is much higher than NSF "done" and will be a little drier than a lower temp but the tenderness achieved at 190 is awesome!!! The texture is much firmer than butt butta meat which can get kinda pasty or mushy.
Slices (you have to be careful but it will slice) of 190 loin served with the juices from the foil are cut with a fork tender and just melt in your mouth.

190 loin is certainly worth a try if you haven't done one that way. Lower finishing temps are fine too and do turn out a little moister but not as tender.

Since I don't see it in your poll, and I have never tried to pull a pork loin. All I can tell you is the minimum temp is 145*

170-180 but mine are usually stuffed with something. that leaves me the option of tossing it back in if I'm not happy with texture. I also use Grub Rub as a rule on pork loing and that tends to make it tender and juicy.

Me either... I usually cook pork loin to about 150-155.

I remove it as soon as it hits 160. Still a little pink in the middle but tender enough to cut with a fork or spoon. No knife needed mod.

Pork is safely cooked at 137 and it's delicious served medium rare. 140 and a little rest for me.

145* for me. 15 minutes rest and good eating.

I take no chances with pork (or chicken).

But then, I have sensitive plumbing.

180-190!

I agree with the low end guys. 140 - 150 leaves it moist & tender

racer_81 said:
I take no chances with pork (or chicken).

But then, I have sensitive plumbing.

180-190!

Even if Thrichinosis existed in domestic pork, it's dead at 137. Cooking to 150 IS taking no chances.

all the 140ish guys are on the money. Lots of folks overcook pork loin. I believe it best at medium/rare when it is "hot, pink and juicey". And Que is all over "hot, pink and juicey". Served with a fig tapanade and a chilled Seyval Blanc. Thats says summertime like Janis sang it.

queball said:
all the 140ish guys are on the money. Lots of folks overcook pork loin. I believe it best at medium/rare when it is "hot, pink and juicey". And Que is all over "hot, pink and juicey". Served with a fig tapanade and a chilled Seyval Blanc. Thats says summertime like Janis sang it.

Farker! Now I gotta dig through the old vinyl stack and find Janis.
And to stay on topic, "hot, pink and juicy" is what it's all about for pork loin among other things.

I'm with the 145 crowd. Trichinosis has been a thing of the past for many years. A slightly pink center is a beautiful thing!

KCquer - can you give us a very specific rundown of how you do your PL to 190 and have it be super-tender? Liek I mentioned to solidkick, my PL came out like shoe leather :). I smoked until 155 or so, then foiled tightly until about 188 ... the smoke ring is BEAUTIFUL, and the skin part of the loin tastes great, but the slices really aren't edible. I'd like to try both a PL at 145 or so, and another one as hot as I had the last one, but preferabbly with the not-shoe-leather-mod.

thanks.

Not a fan of the high temp porkloin.... its tender, but if ya dont have it swimming in the juices fromthe foil, its a little dry.

i cook at 275-300 and pull it just as the needle passes 140 internal and let it nap for a few minutes.

Or.. i pull at 135 and roll over hot coals to get a nice sear on the outside.. then rest and slice.

We make carpaccio out of porkloin. Ok not that much for the Itailan folk but the 150 is pretty good.

Low temp 145-160 loin to me is best done hotter than traditional smoking, more like I do chicken in the 275-325 range. I do this when I want a juicier firmer more pork chop like loin. If I'm going for juicier, I think the higher cooking temp serves this goal best.

KCquer - can you give us a very specific rundown of how you do your PL to 190 and have it be super-tender?

For the super tender 190(ish) loin, I cook low-n-slow (sub 250) until it reaches 160. For the half loins I get at wally world, this normally takes about 6 hours. Wrap in foil with a generous spraying of apple juice (or whatever floats your boat) and cook to one-eighty-something (another 2 hours). If you have time to cooler it another 2 hours this is the best but not essential. Crack the foil and allow to rest 20-30 mins in the juice, then slice. You'll either have to make very thick slices or have a VERY sharp knife and support the sides. Put the slices in shallow baking dish fanning the slices as much as space allows and pour juices over.

My favorite variation on this theme is to use a very basic salt(and/or MSG), pepper and garlic rub. When it reaches 160 I wrap with 1/2# or more of sliced mushrooms. Strain the mushrooms out of the juices before you pour over sliced loin. Serve on buns or nice rolls with a bit of the extra juice spooned on, some of the mushrooms and a nice slice of swiss cheese. It's like a pork version of a mushroom swiss burger and is really, really good.

Back