Problems with Kingsford Briquettes

Bartkowiakj

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am having a problem keeping steady temps using Kingsford Briquettes with my Weber kettle grill and even my UDS. I am even wondering if this is "my" problem or could this be "our" problem (one we all have).
I use the Weber chimney to start the coals, dump them in the Weber kettle and wait for the temp to stabilize. I begin to cook at approx. 300 - 350 and within an hour the temps fall to around 200 and stay put. I usually keep the bottom vent 1/2 open but when I see the temp falling I open it to full with no results; the top vent is always wide open. Only when I 'shake' the hot briquettes do the temps begin to rise. This occurs no matter if the coals are scattered or in a pile.
When using my UDS and the firebox the same problems occur.
I have tried my old bags of briiquettes and even bought a new bag for tonights cook---the same results.
Can anyone offer me some advice.
Thanks
JB:pray:

I found that the new bags that I purchased this year have steadier temps in my drum then last years batch. Last year seemed to be all over the map. Last year, I would get the "ash crash" at around the 2 hr mark. This year, it is more like 4hrs.

What do you mean firebox and UDS?
I find KF the best burning charcoal for my drums!

I don't have that problem on my Weber kettle using Kinsford blue. I do however use the minion method and I have to keep my bottom vent just barely cracked open.

BY "firebox" I am referring to the base grate and the circular ring of elongated steel that holds all the charcoal for a cook. "UDS" is my Ugly Drum Smoker.

Kingsford is what I use in my Webers and my UDS. I don't usually expect my coals to go much longer than an hour in the Webers, but in the UDS I can burn longer than I've ever needed to cook by using the minion method and more coals in the basket than will burn during a cook, and using only one intake vent with ball valve about half closed.

Sounds to me like you are describing the effects of high ash production.
The shell of ash restricts the supply of O2, chokes the fire, and limits the release of radiant heat.
Kingsford blue is known for high ash production.

This page does a nice comparison and quantification.
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/burntimetest/lumpcompare.htm

Are you only putting in LIT coals in the kettle or are you using the minion method? Just about all I use in my UDS is Kingsford briquettes and on the kettles usually the same. I always use mostly UNLIT coals and then only top off with lit fuel. I've not had this problem and have never had to ahske anything. You may just need to play with your intake more.

Have you NOT had this problem with a different brand of charcoal?

Gotta toss out the possibility that your charcoal is wet? I never have a problem keeping temps up in my UDS. Keeping them down is slightly more tricky.

I personally can't stand using the new design. I've noticed really high temps at first then it falls off quickly. I think I rather use store brand charcoal than the new blue bag

I ran into a similar problem last year. I had stockpiled some bags from HD and in one of the first cooks from that batch, the WSM would not get up to temp with the guru on it. I had purchased 6 bags (3 - 2 packs) and of the 6, 4 burned like crud. I complained to Kingsford and got a coupon for a couple of bags of Kingsford Competition. Haven't had a problem with it since.

I only go through 600 pounds of Kingsford a year so I might not have enough experience to chime in, but I think it's you...

I think some pictures of how you are putting the goals in would be helpful in diagnosing you problem.

I have been using BK for 25 years. It has never failed me. I can only suspect you have some poor quality briqs or a chinese ripoff.

I switched to RO lump for my UDS because I get better temp control, no off taste and it comes up to temp and sweet blue sooner. I still have about 8 bags of blue K left over from the coupons from 2 years ago.

My best guess is that the issue may be with your firebasket design. Can you post a few pics of the basket or at least give a detailed description of the design. I just cooked over the weekend and used about 15 lbs of K, a pound or so of RO lump, and cherry chunks. Got a 16 hour burn that was rock solid, dialed in for first 14 hours between 230* and 241* with only minor adjustments to the bottom vents. If your fire basket is not dropping ash sufficiently then your fire will die. I only had to kick the drum twice, in the last hour of the cook. You may have an easy fix.

I've only used the new blue bag for direct cooking in my chargriller. Haven't used it in my UDS. I only used either R.O. or Stubbs in my UDS. I never noticed this problem until I starting using the new bag.

Sounds like you need a new charcoal grate. I don't know about the UDS, but the ash from K drops through the grate on my kettle before restricting air flow. My modded ECB didn't have much room for ash and K didn't work (I had to use natural briquettes or lump) but my kettle and WSM have plenty of room and I have no temp control problems on either with K.

In order to answer some of the questions posed --- The "firebox" I use wiith UDS is similar to tha noted in the UDS drum thread by Nordco? (elongated steel, circular, about 9" high) --I use the minion method when using this eqptand have at least 1 valve completely openn and the 2nd one approx 1/2 open.
As far as the Weber kettle--I have used both, the minion method method and a fully lit chiimney of coals with the same effect.
I thought damp briiquettes could be a problem but they were stored indoors since the time of purchase with no moisture in the storage area. I purchased 4 bags of the Wl Mart special and still had the same problem.
Thanks for all the responses and insight because I am thoroughly frustrate right now with 8 bags of briiquettes laying around.

Kingsford ash is just something I have to deal with, but I use Stubbs for overnighters in my wsm since there's so much less ash.

I use a Weber kettles and a wsm, and somebody pointed out that it's a good idea to replace the charcoal grate every once in a while since the ash will fall through a new grate easier than with a real rusty one. If I was gonna use K for overnighters, I'd get up six hours into the cook and knock the ash off the coals.

Weber grill is a new kettle and the UDS was built last year---so there shouldnt be problem with ash falling throught the grate. I will be call Kingsford today to see if they changed production methods. Will keep you guys posted.

Back