• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Imagine the abt's

Samichlaus

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
For you brethren who enjoy lightnin' ass chili and the like, this might be just the ticket.

Dorset Naga, world's hottest pepper.

dorset.jpg

Though long renowned for its frightfully bland "cuisine," the United Kingdom has nonetheless produced the hottest chili pepper in the world.

Joy and Michael Michaud, a couple from Dorset, England, run Peppers by Post, selling fresh peppers over the internet.

They didn't set out to set a record, they just wanted a really tasty pepper. They started with a Bangladeshi pepper known as the Naga Morich. After careful breeding, they developed the Dorset Naga, which has just been confirmed as the hottest pepper in the world by the Guinness Book of World Records.

A pepper's heat is measured on the Scoville scale, named after its inventor, Wilbur Scoville, who developed it in 1912. The average habanero pepper scores 100,000 Scoville Heat Units. The previous record-holder, the Red Savina habanero, 570,000 SHU. The Dorset Naga hit 923,000.

"The man in the first lab was so excited -- he'd never had one even half as hot as that. The second lab took a long time because they were checking it carefully as it was so outrageously high," said Mrs. Michaud.

The pepper is so absurdly potent they have to wear gloves to handle it and take it outside for seeding in drying. Some customers have complained that it's too hot, saying even half a chili can overheat a whole pan of curry. Someone must like it, though; they sold over a quarter-million of them.

Now they're in the process of having the Dorset Naga patented so that they alone can sell them.

http://www.sploid.com/news/2006/04/dorset_naga_the_1.php

NorthernQ said:
OOOOOO Yaaa, lemme at em! They would be killer in my Peaches and Scream.

"Peaches and Scream"??? Tell us about that - what IS it???

Man, I haven't eaten anything hotter than a fresh hab. This new Brit pepper would be killer!

Arlin_MacRae said:
"Peaches and Scream"??? Tell us about that - what IS it???

Man, I haven't eaten anything hotter than a fresh hab. This new Brit pepper would be killer!

Basically, its a fresh peach/seville orange preserve with habaneros, Amaretto and toasted almonds.

I think the Habanero Red Savina tastes like crap, I love heat but I think they bred it for heat and it just does not taste like a habanero. I much prefer yellow habaneros. I am curious what this new one tastes like, besides fire.

NorthernQ said:
Basically, its a fresh peach/seville orange preserve with habaneros, Amaretto and toasted almonds.

Dayum that sounds good.

Back