MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Food Handling Lesson Polls

Notices

Food Handling Lesson Polls Poll based lessons. See what misconceptions our general population has regarding food safety and preparation.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:53 PM   #1
goodearth
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default imagine this

I belong to a club that has a kitchen manager. NOW check this out the kitchen manager has left 2 cooked chickens in a walkin beer cooler uncovered for 3 weeks and I just today heard he made a chix soup from one and served it to our members for lunch
goodearth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2007, 05:03 PM   #2
jpw23
Babbling Farker

probably gonna be some sick folks later this evening.

---------------------------------------------------
Chargriller Pro with mods
El Cheapo Brinkman
Some name I can't remember Gasser
Oil Less Turkey fryer
jpw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:10 PM   #3
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

"Aging" improves beef and some other meats.
I do not think it helps cooked or raw poultry

Are the insurance premiums paid up?????????

Not making light of this---I hope everyone "dodges the bullet", but that "manager" needs a new profession

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:57 PM   #4
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Make sure there is plenty of TP in the bathrooms!

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:44 AM   #5
bbqjoe
Banned

The basic rule used in commercial establishments, observed by the health dept is this: Cooked meats must be discarded after seven days.

This has a reason, but applied to all meats is not necessarily a realistic rule, but it does give some uniformity to application.

A number of factors need to be considered, such as the temp of the cooler.
How well was the product handled and cooked?

A prudent person who is preparing food will be able to detect whether the food is spoiled or not by smell, but will not be able to detect bacteria levels nor the toxins they produce.

Remember that cooking the meat again will kill bacteria but the will not remove certain toxins left behind from the bacteria digesting the product.

I would call this considerable gross neglegence in food handling in a commercial application.
But whether anyone gets sick (pardon the pun) is a crap shoot.
bbqjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:11 AM   #6
Markbb
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Meats

Joe does that also apply to meat (cooked than frozen)packed in plastic and vacuum sealed? I know all states maybe differant.
Markbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 02:46 PM   #7
bbqjoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markbb
Joe does that also apply to meat (cooked than frozen)packed in plastic and vacuum sealed? I know all states maybe differant.
No, the rule does not apply to frozen.
bbqjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 01:49 PM   #8
tony76248
is One Chatty Farker

When I was in the restaurant business.....(I was the dish washer/busboy/kitchen gofer and I ate my weight in food about every three or four days).... We would take all of the left over meats and make something else with them. Here is a list a foods you should avoid if you care.... I can tell you, we got our money's worth out of our meat grinder.

Chicken and Turkey Croquettes, The type of croquette will be determined by which ever flavor is dominant.

Ham Croquettes, they also use chicken and turkey mixed in these, if there is some laying around, again the dominant flavor prevails.

Salmon patties or croquettes, they will add left over varieties of white fish, that said the salmon flavor is always dominant.

Let us not forget Meatloaf, any, all and most beef and pork products will reside here.

Now the establishment I worked in was a cafeteria type restaurant, that equals old folks...and they were always asking for the croquettes too. I can guarantee that we didn't have any meats laying around that place. We turned over our stock every two or three days as I would imagine most restaurants do.

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Brinkmann Model 6668 Gasser
Hibachi Grill
Stumps GF223 w/ Stoker assist
ECB that wins the $
Weber One-Touch Gold 22-1/2"
#3 Komono
Large BGE w/ Stoker assist
55 gallon Drum Smoker
Wood Crate Cold smoker w/ smoke injector
No need for certification, I already know good BBQ!
tony76248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 08:11 PM   #9
smoke-n-my-i's
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodearth View Post
I belong to a club that has a kitchen manager. NOW check this out the kitchen manager has left 2 cooked chickens in a walkin beer cooler uncovered for 3 weeks and I just today heard he made a chix soup from one and served it to our members for lunch

remind me not to eat there......
2 UGLY drum smokers
Weber 22 1/2" & 18 1/2" Kettle
Super fast RED Thermapen
Screaming fast ORANGE Thermapen
KCBS Certified Table Captain
KCBS Certified Judge
smoke-n-my-i's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:04 AM   #10
BigBarry
is One Chatty Farker

Break out the Immodium.
Webers: Smokey Mountains (2 18.5" and a 22.5") - Performer 22" Silver - Go AnyWhere Charcoal - Smokey Joe Platinum - Craigslist Silver Gasser
BBQ - Bring Beer Quick!
In the Land of the Pig, the Butcher is King!
BigBarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:09 AM   #11
Bbq Bubba

Fire kitchen manager immediately!!
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:09 AM   #12
LMAJ

And hopefully you will be getting a new kitchen manager...
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Super Fast BLUE and REDThermopen
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:14 AM   #13
CajunSmoker
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: Rolling down the river between St Louis and New Orleans

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony76248 View Post
When I was in the restaurant business.....(I was the dish washer/busboy/kitchen gofer and I ate my weight in food about every three or four days).... We would take all of the left over meats and make something else with them. Here is a list a foods you should avoid if you care.... I can tell you, we got our money's worth out of our meat grinder.

Chicken and Turkey Croquettes, The type of croquette will be determined by which ever flavor is dominant.

Ham Croquettes, they also use chicken and turkey mixed in these, if there is some laying around, again the dominant flavor prevails.

Salmon patties or croquettes, they will add left over varieties of white fish, that said the salmon flavor is always dominant.

Let us not forget Meatloaf, any, all and most beef and pork products will reside here.

Now the establishment I worked in was a cafeteria type restaurant, that equals old folks...and they were always asking for the croquettes too. I can guarantee that we didn't have any meats laying around that place. We turned over our stock every two or three days as I would imagine most restaurants do.

Another thing to avoid is any type of preseasoned/marinated meat at the grocery store. When the meat's go out of date it can be unpackaged cleaned, seasoned and repackaged for a new shelf life date. When my wife was a deli manager at a large supermarket chain in Atlanta we saw a lot of this.

How y'all are? I'm glad you got to see me I guarontee Justin Wilson 4/24/1914 - 09/05/2001
CAJUN QUE KREWE Proud ARKLAFO
KCBS member & CBJ#24398
Twin Ugly Drum Smokers
Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe
Brinkman Gourmet ECB with super chicken mods
Weber OTS kettle
CajunSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:36 AM   #14
Whitfield
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunSmoker View Post
Another thing to avoid is any type of preseasoned/marinated meat at the grocery store. When the meat's go out of date it can be unpackaged cleaned, seasoned and repackaged for a new shelf life date. When my wife was a deli manager at a large supermarket chain in Atlanta we saw a lot of this.
I was taught to do this and I refuse to do so. We are a small shop and I'd rather throw out a few bucks in inventory than get someone sick. We feel our customers would rather us be honest with them. Pre-marinated/seasoned items in our store are always marinated/seasoned when fresh. Still, it seems to be a common practice
Old 07-14-2011, 05:41 PM   #15
Oliverbbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Honestly I know I wouldn't get sick from that. Some people have weak immune systems and stomachs though. I've left a bucket of KFC in my truck for 3 days with the sun beating down on it and got drunk and ate it.

I would have probably made soup out of it and ate it myself. I wouldn't have fed it to anybody else though. I wouldn't prepare anything but fresh food for family/guests.

Last edited by Oliverbbq; 07-14-2011 at 06:11 PM..
Oliverbbq is offline   Reply With Quote