MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-16-2006, 10:19 AM   #1
boatnut
is One Chatty Farker

Default buckboard bacon cure on a pork loin?

I'm getting ready to cure a boston butt to make some Buckboard Bacon, and was also going to rub some on a loin in an attempt to make Canadian bacon. Anyone done this? I'm assuming the cure time would be quite a bit less then on a butt. For the Butt, I think they say ten days, so I was thinking 5 on the pork loin. Any suggestions? I've also seen cured loins that are rolled in cornmeal before being smoked. Anyone heard or done this? Whats the best way to get the meal to stick to the cured meat?
Thanks.

GOSM smoker (gas)
Masterbuilt (electric)
Weber Kettle
Weber Gasser (2)
Weber WSM

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2006, 10:54 AM   #2
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

I've used High Mountain cure on pork loins...its the thickness of the meat that determines the amount of cure penetration. The pork loins I used were about the same thickness as a boneless butt - so I cured them the same amount of time.

Use maple syrup or something like that for the cornmeal...though why the cornmeal I don't have any idea!!

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2006, 11:38 AM   #3
rookiedad
is One Chatty Farker

good luck with the bacon!i just ordered some of the bucboard bacon cure too and the ingriedients are salt and sugar with a tiny bit of sodium nitrates. couldn't regular salt and sugar be used to cure meat in the future? what is the difference. anyone got any cure recipes?
thanks,
phil
rookiedad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2006, 11:41 AM   #4
soulman
On the road to being a farker

This is next on my list as well. I ordered some High Mountain Cure yesterday. I can't wait to give it a try.

Old 11-16-2006, 11:47 AM   #5
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookiedad
good luck with the bacon!i just ordered some of the bucboard bacon cure too and the ingriedients are salt and sugar with a tiny bit of sodium nitrates. couldn't regular salt and sugar be used to cure meat in the future? what is the difference. anyone got any cure recipes?
thanks,
phil
You could make your own cure with no problems, Phil. I think the package for Morton TenderQuick has a recipe for a cure for canadian bacon (which is basically what you will be making with a pork loin).

I did use Hi Mountain on a pork loin a while back and I cured it for the full 10 days. It cooked it too long and it was dry, but it had great flavor.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2006, 01:45 PM   #6
boatnut
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks guys,
i'll cure it tonight...how long..still not sure but doubtful the whole ten days.

GOSM smoker (gas)
Masterbuilt (electric)
Weber Kettle
Weber Gasser (2)
Weber WSM

Old 11-16-2006, 02:07 PM   #7
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatnut
Thanks guys,
i'll cure it tonight...how long..still not sure but doubtful the whole ten days.
My money is on you posting Thanksgiving breakfast pics with some ham/bacon fried up from Wednesday nights smoke.

I am very interested in your results, for pork loins are my specialty

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2006, 02:10 PM   #8
thirdeye

Quote:
I'm getting ready to cure a boston butt to make some Buckboard Bacon, and was also going to rub some on a loin in an attempt to make Canadian bacon. Anyone done this? I'm assuming the cure time would be quite a bit less then on a butt. For the Butt, I think they say ten days, so I was thinking 5 on the pork loin. Any suggestions? I've also seen cured loins that are rolled in cornmeal before being smoked. Anyone heard or done this? Whats the best way to get the meal to stick to the cured meat?
Thanks.
Never heard of the cornmeal thing.

The amount of Hi Mountain cure used is based on weight, the cure time is based on thickness. I'm not sure if it is because loins are leaner but I go less time on them too. I have a Buckboard Bacon page on my cookin' site, but Hi Mountains instructions are so complete my page is mostly pictures and a few tips. Here is a snip of the tips.

Tips:

*Curing time is based on meat thickness: I use 9 or 10 days curing time on a 3 to 3-1/2 inch thick butt. About 8 days on a 2 to 2-1/2 inch thick butt. About 6 days on an average loin. About 5 days on a tenderloin.
*The ideal temperature for your refrigerator during curing is 38° to 40°. Colder than 38° will slow down the curing process, warmer than 42° is not recommended.
*During curing, liquid will accumulate in the bag or container. This is normal as the cure is extracting water from your product. Don't pour off the liquid as it acts as a brine.
You want to keep the liquid in contact with the meat. Turning your product halfway through the curing time is recommended, I turn more often.
*Hi Mountain's smoking instructions are written for an electric smoker. Here are how I smoke it in my smokers.

In my Egg: I use a direct setup with raised grate & grate extender. My cooking level is about 12" above the coals. I like a 180° pit temp for 2 hours, then ramp the temp up to 200° until the internal temperature of the meat is 140° to 150°. Every 30 minutes or so I drop a few chips through the grate and onto the coals.

In my BDS: I use the mini charcoal ring with a chunk of wood on top of the coals. I like a 180° pit temp for 2 hours and ramp the temp up to 200° until the internal temperature of the meat is 140° to 150°.

Following smoking: I wrap in foil and rest a few minutes, then chill for slicing. After slicing I lay pieces on wax paper, layering bacon and paper as needed then freeze. Remove the slices and store in a zipper bag.

rookiedad,

The basic cures are kosher salt, pink salt and either dextrose or ground sugar. You can make your own. Also Morton's makes a product called sugar cure. I comes with a separate seasoning package. You have to weigh and mix your own batches. The Hi Mountain cure is more convenient for me as it is premixed and packaged in smaller quantities.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2006, 07:07 PM   #9
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

boat, I primarily do pork loins. I do 7 to 8 days, no longer. I would imagine 6 would be ok as mine come out a bit salty. I would not call it canadian bacon either. I do NOT like canadian bacon and this tastes much better. My family prefers it over the traditional buckboard bacon.

Old 11-16-2006, 07:49 PM   #10
thirdeye

Quote:
... I've also seen cured loins that are rolled in cornmeal before being smoked. Anyone heard or done this? Whats the best way to get the meal to stick to the cured meat?
Thanks.
This cornmeal thing really got me wondering.....I have quite a few books on smoking and preserving, so after dinner the search was on. The second book had the answer.

In Canada there is a product called peameal bacon. In the old days it was rolled in meal made from ground yellow peas thinking this would help preserve the bacon. Yellow cornmeal worked as good and that is what is used today, but the original name stuck. This product is made from a well trimmed pork loin cured in a brine containing salt and sugar, and then rolled in corn meal. It is an uncooked product that is never smoked. It is sliced and fried, grilled or roasted in larger pieces.

No specifics were given as to the brine recipe, or the curing technique.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2006, 08:18 PM   #11
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

3rd I

That, would be a cool side dish. Not the bacon, but yellow peas. Imagine how cool a simple side of green and yellow peas would be

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2006, 08:32 PM   #12
boatnut
is One Chatty Farker

thanks for the explanation of peameal bacon. i've heard that term several times. Only reason i was gonna roll it in cornmeal is because that is what this specialty meat place does and they have excellent products. I may swing by and pick this guy's brain a little. I know they do smoke theirs and call it canadian bacon.

GOSM smoker (gas)
Masterbuilt (electric)
Weber Kettle
Weber Gasser (2)
Weber WSM

Old 11-17-2006, 02:21 AM   #13
Norcoredneck

I did some Buckboard bacon a while back when it was the hot topic on the threads. It turned out great. Seems when the product is done and everyone porks out on it you wish you had made more. Good luck.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote