MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-10-2006, 07:16 PM   #1
Bossmanbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Default Chicken question

I wanted to ask those of you who compete if you smoke your contest chicken with or without the skin? I'm going back and forth on this issues and need some advice. Also I'm looking at entering leg quarters instead of the regular thighs everyone seems to enter. Decided to do this after reading the chicken article this month on the KCBS website. Any thoughts?

Bossman
[email protected]
Bossmanbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2006, 08:26 PM   #2
BrooklynQ
Banned

From my limited judging and comp experience, I'd say 99% of the chicken submitted still has its skin. As for leg quarters, it's an interesting idea, but I think they'd have to be small legs and thighs to fit 6 in a box.
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2006, 05:49 AM   #3
Leeper
Full Fledged Farker

In the last 4 years of judgeing I have only twice seen chicken turned in without the skin. I honestly would prefer it without the skin as most turn-ins have skin that is hurting them, but I think it is pretty difficult to keep a skinless chunk looking/tasting right for a box. Without the skin you might need to watch out on the amount of seasoning to use, it could be easy to overseason a skinless piece.
Weber Kettle
Weber Summit Platinum D6
La Caja China #2
Leeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2006, 08:28 AM   #4
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynQ
From my limited judging and comp experience, I'd say 99% of the chicken submitted still has its skin. As for leg quarters, it's an interesting idea, but I think they'd have to be small legs and thighs to fit 6 in a box.
Ditto.

Plus, I think the skin has a lot of flavor in it.
Flavor is, well it is, a good thing

TIM

Old 06-11-2006, 10:00 AM   #5
River City Smokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

I believe that the skin on chicken harbors much of the flavor. Getting an edible chicken skin is a big challenge for most people and results in a lot of headache. I have tried and tried to get it where I am satisfied and have acheived what I am happy with. I get good scores and as long as that is happening I will keep on doing what I am doing. When I have judged most everything has skin on it. I would work on perfecting the skin.
It seems the hype is trying to crisp it up. Well I'm saying that you can crisp it all you want but when you put it in a box and walk it to the judges and it gets cold, it won't be crispy any longer. You may want to try putting it in a foil pan and covering it at the end to render the skin down. Much like baking. This will give you a skin that is soft and edible. Good Luck!
Traeger Texas BBQ 075
UDS "Cool Hand Luke"
3 Weber Kettles and a Yellow Thermapen
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #8425
River City Smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote