MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:36 PM   #1
guntera
Got Wood.

Default Yoder smoker 640-fresh review

I'm not trying to start any battles or bashing. Just looking for a fresh review on the YS640. I'm highly interested in the YS640 with Competition Cart. I've researched several forums and read endless posts even on the Brethren and I'm worried. Most of the reviews are old and its about a 50/50 shot of having a good one or someone having problems with it. Please update if you got one or know of someone using one.
guntera is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2013, 07:49 PM   #2
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Here is my review from March. I like it so much I'm upgrading (see signature).

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=155412

I would have no concerns with them if I were you. All of the older issues have been addressed and fixed and their QC and customer service is second to none. I will be happy to answer any questions you may have about it.

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-20-2013, 08:30 PM   #3
TheJackal
Full Fledged Farker

YS640 is great. I cook chicken and pork on it for comps. We also use it a lot for grilling categories.
TheJackal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2013, 09:45 PM   #4
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

I have had a 640 for a long time now and have added a 1320/1500 for the majority of this season. Love them both, I'm a big fan of their products. If you have any specific concerns ask away, I'll try to help with anything I can.

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2013, 10:04 PM   #5
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

I bought one and wouldn't have if it had any issues.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2013, 11:11 PM   #6
djqualls
Full Fledged Farker

I thought mine was a great unit and would highly recommend it for use at comps and at home! It's the best valued pit for the money. And 20 years from now it will still be structurally solid!
djqualls is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #7
barnburner
Got Wood.

Love mine as well !! Cooks great, easy to use and MADE IN THE USA.
barnburner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2013, 07:50 PM   #8
guntera
Got Wood.

Thanks for the responses! I feel better about things and I think I've got a Yoder purchase to make. BIG thanks to nucornhusker for the message I received involving his experience with the darn thing!!! Great BBQ Brother to have around!

Old 08-21-2013, 08:32 PM   #9
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by guntera View Post
Thanks for the responses! I feel better about things and I think I've got a Yoder purchase to make. BIG thanks to nucornhusker for the message I received involving his experience with the darn thing!!! Great BBQ Brother to have around!
Did you think you would ever say that about a Husker?

Old 08-21-2013, 08:49 PM   #10
guntera
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucornhusker View Post
Did you think you would ever say that about a Husker?
Ha Ha! No I did not...Especially if was a pretty day on the field in 94, 95, & 97. Thanks again for the help...

Old 08-21-2013, 09:08 PM   #11
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guntera View Post
I'm not trying to start any battles or bashing. Just looking for a fresh review on the YS640. I'm highly interested in the YS640 with Competition Cart. I've researched several forums and read endless posts even on the Brethren and I'm worried. Most of the reviews are old and its about a 50/50 shot of having a good one or someone having problems with it. Please update if you got one or know of someone using one.
Over the past year or so I have cooked a good bit on both 640 and 480 comp carts. I really like the hybrid pellet cooker/offset pit design. I killed it in brisket last season on the 640. Only issue I had is the auto ignite phase can be a problem on lousy contest power. I disconnected that and use a torch to start.
ique is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2013, 10:57 PM   #12
BasicPatrick
Full Fledged Farker

I got my 640 (no comp cart) in late June. during a comp I cook Ribs and Chicken on it and love the hell out of it. I had read manyn things aobut temp swings but it appeared that firmware had caught up to that condition as I have not seen the issue. Outside of comps I ahve cooked averything from Briskets, Butts, Fatties, Abt's and more.....love the results across the board. Highly reccomend.
Yoder YS640 & Traeger Texas 075
26.75 Weber OTG & 22.5 WSM
Camp Chef Pro 60
Wicked Pissah Super Fast Basic Blue Thermapen
30' Puma Palomino Toyhauler & 10' SGC Cargo Trailer.
NEBS, KCBS, KCBS CBJ, KCBS CTC, ICP
"Rub Some Sunshine on Your Face"--Richard Pryor
BasicPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2013, 02:54 PM   #13
PigxelPerfectBbq
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Just got mine last week and will be putting it to the real test tomorrow at my first comp. Loved everything so far on my practice runs though. It sure as hell beats my EBC haha
PigxelPerfectBbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2013, 07:19 PM   #14
Show me smoke
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I have has my 640 since Jan. love it it has cooked great for me. I did not go with the comp. cart but did do the wheel mod. Much better than the stock wheels and left cash in my pocket..cost about 100 bucks. Comp cart does look cool, and may be worth the extra cash if you do lots of contests. For me I would rather have extra cash to buy pellets, or spend it on the second shelf, temp ports or the custom thermal blanket they make for it.
Show me smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2013, 01:53 PM   #15
Smoke&HoneyBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

I love my Yoder. In fact looking at adding a 1500 to the mix.

The one issue I was having was temperature was not even from side to side. Worked with Don and we were able to get it figured out. Hell blew the ignitor at a competition and within five minutes of sending an e-mail they were calling me to tell me how to bypass the ignitor.

Oh and the comp cart is awesome. Very easy to wheel on and off a trailer or around by yourself.

It has a good amount of room. We can do brisket, 2 pork butts, and 4 slabs of ribs. Still would have room for chicken but it just does not work on the Yoder since we go higher on chicken.
Smoke&HoneyBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote