MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-27-2018, 05:22 PM   #9031
Smokey Lonesome
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by TealStBBQKing View Post
I once even heard my father-in-law say to someone else, "Jeff makes the best ribs I ever had". I was pretty happy with that
And this is what BBQ is all about for me. All the time and effort to get comments like that from friends and family is what motivates me to improve my game and study posts here and ask questions.

This site is the best.

The secret of success is to do the common things uncommonly well. - John D. Rockefeller
Smokey Lonesome is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2018, 05:33 PM   #9032
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

Well-said, Smokey.

Old 07-27-2018, 05:59 PM   #9033
TealStBBQKing
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeff

Yeah my wife also doesn't like it, I had to wait till she was gone for a weekend, totally worth it

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-27-2018, 08:35 PM   #9034
dcbc
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : DCBC

I've got a PBC and WSM. I find the pork butts, beef ribs, and briskets turn out better on the WSM. But, so far, pork ribs and chicken are better on the PBC. Keeping both. But doing a rack of spares no wrap on the WSM tomorrow to be sure. :)
dcbc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-28-2018, 11:54 AM   #9035
Dread Pirate Roberts
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Kevin
Default New Owner

After reading and reading, I bought a PBC and it was delivered Wednesday. I made some quick cedar plank salmon on Thursday, and today I'm trying a brisket. It's a small one - right at 10 lbs pre-trimmed. Got it at Costco like I usually do. It's a Prime cut. It has a small point on it, but I didn't want to go big the first time out of the gate.

I currently live in Las Vegas, so I set the vent to 1/2 open. Temp got up to almost 350. Then I realized that my house is only at 2,500 elevation, so I throttled that back and I'm down to around 310 at the moment. It's also sunny and hot (big surprise right) which is keeping the heat up as well. Once it gets down under 300 I'll work on stabilizing it.

I bought some wood chunks but decided to hold off the first time. I also like to cook briskets without foil or paper, so we will see how that goes. I'm going to use my Bradley OBS with Auber PID to hold at 140 after venting.

I'll post pictures when everything is done. Shouldn't take long, given the temp and small size
Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2018, 07:57 PM   #9036
gwlee7
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Greg

So my PBC should be here on Tuesday the 31st and I would like your opinion as to what should be my maiden voyage. I moved to just north of Dallas from eastern NC within the last year so, I love NC bbq and TX brisket. I was thinking about a couple of pork butts or a brisket. Which would be easier for a PBC virgin?
gwlee7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2018, 08:27 PM   #9037
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlee7 View Post
So my PBC should be here on Tuesday the 31st and I would like your opinion as to what should be my maiden voyage. I moved to just north of Dallas from eastern NC within the last year so, I love NC bbq and TX brisket. I was thinking about a couple of pork butts or a brisket. Which would be easier for a PBC virgin?
Chicken!
22.5 Crimson Weber Premium
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-Less Turker Fryer
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Black Weber OTG (Happy Hapgood)
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
28” Blackstone Pro Series
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Check out the PBC Appreciation Thread!
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210239[/url]
AClarke44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2018, 09:10 PM   #9038
gwlee7
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AClarke44 View Post
Chicken!
My wife is ***gulp*** allergic to chicken.

Old 07-28-2018, 09:12 PM   #9039
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

Can’t screw up pork butt. I’d go that route if you’re not doing chicken. But you’re now obligated to take pics of the maiden cook.....

Old 07-28-2018, 10:04 PM   #9040
gwlee7
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanco Connection View Post
Can’t screw up pork butt. I’d go that route if you’re not doing chicken. But you’re now obligated to take pics of the maiden cook.....
I have a couple of butts in the freezer. For years I have been cooking them overnight in the oven and then finishing them the next morning in a pan on a weber 22 with a smidge of charcoal and hickory chips after I chopped them up. Made some decent eastern NC bbq that way but I want to kick it to a whole new level. Hence the PBC.

Old 07-28-2018, 10:19 PM   #9041
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanco Connection View Post
I agree with Kanco. If you can't do chicken, do a pork butt. Although, if you want a quicker cook do ribs!
22.5 Crimson Weber Premium
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-Less Turker Fryer
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Black Weber OTG (Happy Hapgood)
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
28” Blackstone Pro Series
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Check out the PBC Appreciation Thread!
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210239[/url]
AClarke44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2018, 10:25 PM   #9042
gwlee7
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AClarke44 View Post
I agree with Kanco. If you can't do chicken, do a pork butt. Although, if you want a quicker cook do ribs!
I have some ribs in the freezer too.

This will be fun.

Old 07-28-2018, 11:53 PM   #9043
dcbc
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : DCBC

The PBC is a chicken and ribs machine. If you can't do chicken, I'd do some ribs.
dcbc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2018, 09:22 PM   #9044
jagakbbq
Found some matches.

My PBC continues to be a great cooker for me. Did some fresh hocks for mixing with red beans yesterday. And turned out a nice looking 4lb baby Boston Butt today.

jagakbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2018, 09:41 PM   #9045
TailGateJoecom
is one Smokin' Farker

Hey guys, so I got my PBC last week and it is great. I am 4 rib cooks in with 3 test cooks of 1 baby back rack each and one full cook of 8 racks.

Anyone have any solid lighting techniques? I am thinking of using multiple PBCs for catering gigs and want to have a foolproof lighting techique that my guys can use to consistantly light the cookers in a timely manner where there won't be any chemical charcoal flavors. I initially tried the method on the PBC site, and also tossed in some wood chunks, and the ribs on that cook were inedible.
[B][COLOR=Green][URL="http://www.tailgatejoe.com"]TailgateJoe.com[/URL] -- the #1 NY Jets gameday fanclub/tailgate party[/COLOR][/B]
[B]Fast Eddy's Cookshack:[/B] Dual FEC120s
[B]Meadow Creek:[/B] BBQ42
[B]Weber:[/B] Ranch Kettle, 22.5 WSM, OTG 22.5
[B]Pit Barrel Cooker[/B]
[B]Crown Verity gassers:[/B] 4 MCBs from 36-72 inch
[B]Instagram/[/B][B][B]Twitter[/B]/Facebook: [/B]@tailgatejoe
[B]Youtube: @tailgatejoedotcom[/B]
TailGateJoecom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hanging meat, Hooking meat, Noah Glanville, PBC, PBJ, pit barrel cooker, pit barrel junior, pork butt, set it and forget it