It is settled

SeanBBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have decided to make a change. Going to sell the Humphreys Pint and all the stuff with it and go to a Yoder YS640 Competition. My needs have changed and this makes the most sense. Plus the wife said I had to sell one to get one.

The Pint is great dont get me wrong. Consistent, great build quality and Chad and Nicole are awesome. I may have a BB in my future who knows.

So for those out there with the Yoder have any of you found why it is so pellet hungry? From what I've read it can easily use twice as many pellets as the next cooker. I guess the good outweights the bad and I'll live with it but really looking for real world experience with them.

I have decided to make a change. Going to sell the Humphreys Pint and all the stuff with it and go to a Yoder YS640 Competition. My needs have changed and this makes the most sense. Plus the wife said I had to sell one to get one.

The Pint is great dont get me wrong. Consistent, great build quality and Chad and Nicole are awesome. I may have a BB in my future who knows.

So for those out there with the Yoder have any of you found why it is so pellet hungry? From what I've read it can easily use twice as many pellets as the next cooker. I guess the good outweights the bad and I'll live with it but really looking for real world experience with them.

If you have cheap access to pellets like I do I wouldn’t worry about it. It’s a small price to pay to get what you really want and will be happy with. I have no clue why it’s pellet hungry. I’m guessing it’s the thickness of the metal that has to be preheated.

I have the insulated jacket on mine, and don't feel it is pellet hungry at all. I ran mine for about 18 hrs yesterday 225 to 250, on one hopper of pellets. Temps were in the 30's with strong winds. So it cost approximately $10 for an 18hr cook. Unless you get free wood, that is cheap, compared to just about any other cooking method.

I don't have the insulated jacket on mine. I can get 12-14 hours of cook time running 250 degrees at 60-70 degree F on one hopper of pellets. You can probably do better on other pellet smokers, but I'll stick to my 640. It preforms very well with good smoke flavor. The only con I have with mine is the paint. Mine started rusting in about a year and I keep it on a covered patio with the cover on it.

Thank you for passing your experience with the amount of pellets used. It is about what I was thinking and that's not all too bad. I'll probably end up getting the insulated jacked since I do cook all year round and here in Missouri it gets cold.

Posted the Pint for sale so will see how it goes but the sights are set on a 640

Yes it uses more pellets than some others, but it puts out great food. Reasons likely a combination of the non pid controller, bigger temp swings than some others (by design), the volume of space its heating up and the metal. The end results are quite good though

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have a 1500 and live in the Northeast. A moving blanket over the top of the cooker cut my pellet usage in half.

Chris

A YS640 is boss. It puts out an amazing backyard product. I would love to see some "how to win KCBS" classes.

Worrying about the pellet consumption on a cooker like that is like concerning yourself over the fuel mileage of a 911 Carrera ... See what I’m sayin’?

Enjoy the ride (food)...

Worrying about the pellet consumption on a cooker like that is like concerning yourself over the fuel mileage of a 911 Carrera ... See what I’m sayin’?

Enjoy the ride (food)...

Haha. Yes i do. And that being the only "concern" people have expressed to me regarding the 640, i can live with that.

Thanks again everyone for the information. It helps solidify my decision.

Pint is sold. Bittersweet I guess. Great cooker and great company. Chad and Nicole are amazing. I'll be back but now onto new adventures.

Time to post in the pooper thread. Questions I have and many of them.

Back