MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:17 AM   #1
ewatts2003
Full Fledged Farker

Default Help with Generator Size

Good morning everyone! I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a 6x12 enclosed trailer for comps/general use and I'm wanting some help with a generator purchase. The trailer I am going to look at already has a 30 amp service with lights, outlets, and a rooftop ac unit (he doesn't know the exact size so I'm just using 15k for figuring). I will be running 3 pellet poopers, lights, ac, phone charger, radio, etc... The power usage I have found are listed as follows:

GMG Jim Bowie - 240w start/60w run
Traeger Texas - 300w start/50w run
Pellet Pro Drum - 300w start/50w run
15k AC Unit - 3500w start/1500w run
LED Lighting - 40w each/max 120w total

The pellet poopers are always started in stages so they are not drawing full power at the same time. The two generators I have been looking at are the Predator 3500w from Harbor Freight and the Powerhorse 3500w from Northern Tool. If I have done all of my figuring correctly I think either one of these should do the trick. What do you guys think? I'm for any and all considerations/suggestions. Thank you in advance!

Old 07-18-2018, 11:49 AM   #2
pharp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewatts2003 View Post
Good morning everyone! I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a 6x12 enclosed trailer for comps/general use and I'm wanting some help with a generator purchase. The trailer I am going to look at already has a 30 amp service with lights, outlets, and a rooftop ac unit (he doesn't know the exact size so I'm just using 15k for figuring). I will be running 3 pellet poopers, lights, ac, phone charger, radio, etc... The power usage I have found are listed as follows:

GMG Jim Bowie - 240w start/60w run
Traeger Texas - 300w start/50w run
Pellet Pro Drum - 300w start/50w run
15k AC Unit - 3500w start/1500w run
LED Lighting - 40w each/max 120w total

The pellet poopers are always started in stages so they are not drawing full power at the same time. The two generators I have been looking at are the Predator 3500w from Harbor Freight and the Powerhorse 3500w from Northern Tool. If I have done all of my figuring correctly I think either one of these should do the trick. What do you guys think? I'm for any and all considerations/suggestions. Thank you in advance!
I have been very happy with my Predator. I bought it to get me through until I could get the Honda 7000. I have a comparable power usage. I don't like it always running so close to capacity because it sucks gas and I feel like I am overworking it but i performs well.
pharp is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-18-2018, 12:23 PM   #3
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Do a Google search for the needs of a 15KBTU AC. It may work on the Predator or the Powerhorse, but you may need a hard start capacitor installed or a soft start device like the Microair EasyStart. If it is a 13.5KBTU AC, the Predator should be fine, but you will likely have to turn off other devices when the AC starts. A hard start capacitor or the Microair would help there as well.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 07-18-2018, 12:26 PM   #4
pharp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Do a Google search for the needs of a 15KBTU AC. It may work on the Predator or the Powerhorse, but you may need a hard start capacitor installed or a soft start device like the Microair EasyStart. If it is a 13.5KBTU AC, the Predator should be fine, but you will likely have to turn off other devices when the AC starts. A hard start capacitor or the Microair would help there as well.
The predator starts up my 15k AC fine with other small things running.

Old 07-18-2018, 12:27 PM   #5
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharp View Post
The predator starts up my 15k AC fine with other small things running.
Thanks! My AC is 13.5K, and I don't have a Predator, but I have done a lot of web research, but first hand experience is the best thing.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/

Old 07-18-2018, 12:29 PM   #6
pharp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Thanks! My AC is 13.5K, and I don't have a Predator, but I have done a lot of web research, but first hand experience is the best thing.
NP. I had a really small trailer with a 9k unit, so I was nervous when we got the 15k for the truck...but it works great.

Old 07-18-2018, 12:44 PM   #7
rorkin
Full Fledged Farker

Another option 2 2000 w preadators or Hondas.. Hondas will cost twice as much
New Hondas are supposed to be 2200 w

Run in parallel..

Advantage..

Preadator 3500 I think weighs close to 100 lb

2 in parallel are 45# ea
GMG Davy Crockett
KCBS Master Judge/Certified Table Captain/100+ Club
SCA Prime Judge

"I have more smokers than I need but not as many as I want "
rorkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2018, 12:48 PM   #8
ewatts2003
Full Fledged Farker

One thing I like about the Powerhorse is you can add either a 2000 or another 3500 in parallel if you need more power. Too many options!!!

Old 07-18-2018, 07:26 PM   #9
Cook'n with Wood
Knows what a fatty is.

I run a Cookshack 100 in addition to my 3 Hunsaker’s. As a 1 man team I don’t like to depend on comp power or running out of gas on my Champion generator. I use a 1000 watt inverter powered by 2 deep cell batteries being charged while in use. I have the Cookshack and my LED light running on the inverter. Zero worries about power going out 15 minutes before turn ins. Buy the way I have had zero issues with my Champion generator.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:14 PM   #10
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Honda 2000 has been replaced by the 2200. A single unit is 15 amps and might run a 13.5k btu unit, but the 3000 would be safer. A pair in parallel is 36amps, plenty of power.

Honda also has a new 3000i Handi ... it's the same power as the more common 3000is, but 50 pounds lighter @ 78 pounds.

Not sure how loud the predator is...some contests will ban loud generators, especially in the more populated areas.
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2018, 09:55 PM   #11
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBQ View Post
Honda 2000 has been replaced by the 2200. A single unit is 15 amps and might run a 13.5k btu unit, but the 3000 would be safer. A pair in parallel is 36amps, plenty of power.

Honda also has a new 3000i Handi ... it's the same power as the more common 3000is, but 50 pounds lighter @ 78 pounds.

Not sure how loud the predator is...some contests will ban loud generators, especially in the more populated areas.
I have a 3000i Handi. That model has been around for a while. It will run a 13.5K BTU AC, but nothing else. It’s a little bit lower power than the 3000IS at 2600W. The 3000IS is 2800W. It also has a smaller fuel tank (1.6 gallons) and runs 3.5 hours at full load vs. 7. It also doesn’t have a fuel pump, so you can’t use an extended run fuel tank. There are some on eBay, but they use gravity to feed the fuel, and if the generator stops, the fuel will continue to flow.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/

Last edited by Ron_L; 07-19-2018 at 11:06 AM..

Old 07-19-2018, 09:43 AM   #12
Jousting Pigs
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Big John

The predator is very quiet. I bought the 3500 this year and have been very happy with it. I only have about 50 hours on it but it has ran my AC, lights, phone charge, and electric knife with with no problem, I believe my AC is only 13.5k BTU though. If you sign up for the Harbor Freight super coupons they have it as cheap as $599.
Jousting Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2018, 09:47 AM   #13
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

Brother in law was showing me his new predator 3500 inverter. Very nice, very quiet. Said if he is going to run the ac, you have to take it out of eco idle mode as the generator doesn't respond fast enough. Personally we have 2 of the new Ryobi 2300 we link together and if you are going to be running things drawing major power, you need to take them out of the eco idle mode too.

I used to think the 3000 class generators were more than enough, but I think Im changing that tune. Ive seen people with Twin Honda 3000's linked. Probably cost about the same as a Honda 7000 inverter though.
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2018, 11:06 AM   #14
pharp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untraceable View Post
Brother in law was showing me his new predator 3500 inverter. Very nice, very quiet. Said if he is going to run the ac, you have to take it out of eco idle mode as the generator doesn't respond fast enough. Personally we have 2 of the new Ryobi 2300 we link together and if you are going to be running things drawing major power, you need to take them out of the eco idle mode too.

I used to think the 3000 class generators were more than enough, but I think Im changing that tune. Ive seen people with Twin Honda 3000's linked. Probably cost about the same as a Honda 7000 inverter though.
I am in the same boat. I am actually thinking about getting another predator to parallel. I wish they had a 5000ish, that would be perfect for what I need.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:44 PM   #15
ffemtreed
Got Wood.

No matter what gen you end up with, I would still spend the money on the Microair easystart that RonL mentioned earlier, esp if you are running multiple devices on the generator. Its just insurance that you don't have problem when things try and cycle on at the same time.

My honda Eu2200 runs (on eco mode) my 13500 AC without any problems with the microair installed.