MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:42 AM   #16
BluesDaddy
Full Fledged Farker

Very cool. I love the tap handle handle on the firebox. Now you just need to add a kegenator or something to it. Hot water and draft craft beer with you BBQ - THAT is heaven!!
BluesDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2010, 06:58 AM   #17
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
At the outlet of the coil I am going to put a tee with the tee side facing down. I am going to screw a T&P Valve (Temperature and pressure, like you would find on a water heater) into the end of the tee. This will let off at either 210 degrees or 30 PSI (for safety). I will plumb the drain from the T&P through the trailer deck.
Have you considered running that blow off into the cooker and ending in a water pan? That way you get no boiling water or steam on someones toes while wearing flip flops plus you get hot water inside the water pan. Two birds one stone. :)

Doc.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2010, 08:04 AM   #18
JayBirde
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_KY View Post
Have you considered running that blow off into the cooker and ending in a water pan? That way you get no boiling water or steam on someones toes while wearing flip flops plus you get hot water inside the water pan. Two birds one stone. :)

Doc.
I like the way you think Dr_KY! Not a bad idea at all! Will be posting more pictures this evening of todays progress.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:38 AM   #19
Dr_KY

I'm always thinking and that's my problem.hahahahaha!

I can't find a picture right now but the coils I was going to run my water through came from a discarded bit of equipment from a pub. The beer ran through them then out of the basement into the taps on the bar. They are stainless steel and measure coiled in aprx 1' x 1' so they are idea to be out of the way in the cooker.

Really need to get back on that project.

Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
Grand Champions 2009

Old 04-25-2010, 01:23 PM   #20
gtsum
Babbling Farker

looks good! I am interested to see how this turns out..I would think the steel plate would get scorching hot (heat sink) like mentioned earlier, but who knows? The hot water coil is ingenious...I could never think of something like that
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-25-2010, 05:42 PM   #21
NRA4Life
is One Chatty Farker

New builds are always interesting...nice job!
[B]Superior SS-3[/B] - Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
Custom Built Reverse Flow Stickburner
[B]Weber[/B] 22.5" WSM
[B]Weber[/B] 26.75" OTG
[B]Weber[/B] Blue 2000 Stainless Performer
[B]Weber[/B] Red 1998 Stainless Performer
NRA4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2010, 12:04 AM   #22
JayBirde
Knows what a fatty is.

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the kind words of encouragement and inspiring ideas everyone!

Got a bit more done today.....

We welded a 2" piece of steel on the inside edge of the firebox to keep the airspace around the actual firebox seperate from the firebox (where the wood will be burning) and this also gave us a collar to insert in the smoker and weld around.

Scribed around the firebox collar onto the smoker body.

Hole cutout of the smoker body...ready for the firebox to be attached!

Got a handle welded to our damper rod.

It's official! Firebox is now attached to the smoker! Woo Hoo!!

View looking from inside the smoker, into the firebox. Sorry if this one is blurry...I think I forgot to focus....these were all taken on my cell phone.

View looking from firebox into smoker.

Backside of firebox. The hole towards the bottom is where the combustion air enters (it then travels along the bottom of the firebox, through the damper, then comes out in the firebox above the door).

The 6" cap you see at the top is just for temporary. We are planning on building a holding cabinet on top of the firebox (to hold full size insert pans and keep them warm), so I just cut out a piece of steel and tacked it in place on the inside of the collar. I will also be running some high temp silicone around it just to make sure it is airtight for now and able to come apart easily in the future.

We are kind of in a hurry to get the smoker operational at this point because our first competition is May 15th, but we know there are certain things we need to do now, to make life easier (like install the water coil). We should be able to finish the smoker and get it operational next week. Here's what we have left:
  • Fabricate and weld in smoke damper.
  • Put the finishing touches on the door and fabricate a counterweight system.
  • Fabricate and hang hot water coil.
  • Fabricate a 2 halves cooking grate out of 3/4" square tubing & #9 expanded metal.
  • Fabricate a log rack out of 3/4" square tubing & #9 expanded metal
  • Install exhaust stack.
  • Prep for paint.
  • Paint!!!
I also managed to get the angle iron welded in for the cooking grates to sit on and weded up the door latch system for the firebox door. Still have to get some rope gasket material and secure it to the firebox door and possibly around the smoker door. Probably won't get the burner in before the first competition. Sink will come soon.

Thanks for following along everybody!

Oh...and for a little pron.....we also managed to cook a marinated pork roast and 7 moose burgers while building today!!

Old 04-26-2010, 01:41 PM   #23
Dr_KY

I would cure the cooker before paint.
have you given any thoughts to tuning plates?
Where is the exhaust going to be located?

Looks great BTW!

Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
Grand Champions 2009

Old 04-26-2010, 11:45 PM   #24
JayBirde
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_KY View Post
I would cure the cooker before paint.
have you given any thoughts to tuning plates?
Where is the exhaust going to be located?

Looks great BTW!
Thank you, Sir!
I am still considering tuning plates. Saw a nice design on one of the pro smoker builders websites.

Exhaust will be on the left hand side (same side as smoker).

Why cure the cooker before painting? Just curious because we already burned a fire in it for 10-12 hours when we cut the door out of the tank. It won't be getting that hot again!!

Old 04-27-2010, 12:26 AM   #25
Dr_KY

I could be wrong but I think it needs to get pretty hot to season the inside. As it starts to cool I hit mine with paint so it bakes on but again I like combining jobs. :)

Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
Grand Champions 2009

Old 04-27-2010, 03:24 AM   #26
tmcmaster
is One Chatty Farker

Looks freaking SWEET! Can't wait to see it complete!

Old 04-27-2010, 09:00 AM   #27
brer rabbit
Knows what a fatty is.

how long did it take to get the sheetmetal back straight for the door opening after that fire? i have the same tank, and i was thinkin i better get it built before tweekin the hell out of it like that, but if it pops back, id rather burn first.

also, that pic of you under the thing reminds me of this:

brer rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2010, 12:44 AM   #28
JayBirde
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brer rabbit View Post
how long did it take to get the sheetmetal back straight for the door opening after that fire? i have the same tank, and i was thinkin i better get it built before tweekin the hell out of it like that, but if it pops back, id rather burn first.

also, that pic of you under the thing reminds me of this:

LOL!!! Right On! But I should clarify something....I wasn't getting under the trailer, that's my buddy Eric!!! (I figured it was safer taking the picture!)

Well, the fire may have had a little something to do with the ripples at the top and bottom of the door opening, but the real problem was I don't think they rolled the steel when the tank was built. I believe they tacked it and bent it around and tacked it, etc. When I cut the door out it was under quite a bit of pressure and popped about 4" out from the body of the tank (be careful!). I had to make a template of the radius and have the door rolled so that it would fit again.

To straighten out the top and bottom I put about 5 clamps on a piece of 1"x1"x1/4" angle iron on the inside of the opening and tacked it in between, then moved the clamps and tacked until it was straight. Did the same thing at the bottom of the opening, but left the top edge down 3/8" so that my cooking grates (3/4" sq. tubing) would have something to sit on and the door could close against it too.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:57 PM   #29
JayBirde
Knows what a fatty is.

We are so close..............

Hole cut in top for exhaust.

Forming our hot water coil (wrapping it around our exhaust pipe)

Fabricated a bracket to hold water coil and welded in place. Wrapped some wire around to keep coils from moving when driving.

Shish kabobs with Cherryaki glaze and some corn on the cob. Boys gotta eat!

Karl climbed into the smoker to get some metal welded.

Smoke baffle. We pieced it together out of steel we had laying around. The squares are patches to cover up some holes that were in the steel.

Smoke gap on the right hand side. We made the gap between the end of the smoke baffle and the side of the smoker 10% less square inches than the opening from the firebox into the smoker, hoping it will stall the smoke just a little.

These are the frames we welded up for our cooking grates. Just have them sitting in there.

Water inlet & outlet from hot water coil. These will have fittings and a valve & a T&P valve (for safety) in the future.

Side shot of the trailer at the end of the day. Note that cowboy hat Karl fabbed up is just sitting on top of exhaust pipe. We are thinking of welding the cowboy hat about 4 or 5" above top of exhaust to keep rain out (don't know if we like the cowboy hat yet).

Another shot of the trailer.

Cooking grates. Expanded metal is just sitting there for now. Will tack in place tomorrow.

Karls cowboy hat.

Hopefully we will be done tomorrow. Gonna give it our best.

Last edited by JayBirde; 05-03-2010 at 12:14 AM..
JayBirde is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2010, 05:10 AM   #30
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

Sweet!!!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build, Limp Brizkit BBQ, smoker, trailer