MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-01-2017, 01:31 PM   #1
Ciggy5
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Post *Opinions* Weber Premium 22" vs. 26" Price Difference

So I've done some research on the 26" Weber Premium Kettle - not really interested in buying it, just some b.s. research - and I see that there is a lot to like about it. The size is great, and the bottom-mounted airflow and ash clean out gimmick that Weber has on the Kettles now is great, to name two things.

My hangup with it is the price... Not even whether or not it's worth $299, but is it really worth double the smaller unit?

Here's my opinion: No, I don't think for ~30% more cooking space and added difficulty controlling low temps that the Premium 26" is worth double the Premium 22".

What are some of your thoughts?

Old 03-01-2017, 01:37 PM   #2
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have a couple of 22.5's and a 26. I use the 26 way more - like almost all the time. I have a family of 4, including 2 teenage sons, so I do need that extra cook space - a lot. One thing about 22's is that they can be pretty easily found on CL for a decent price, at least around here.

Personally, if you need the space I'd go with the 26. If you break out the cost of each cooker over the period of time you'll be using it (many, many years), the difference doesn't really amount to much.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2017, 01:51 PM   #3
Chitown_hillbilly
Full Fledged Farker

One thing that I've learned about Weber in the past 20 years or so... Every time (now 4 times) I've done research and thought "There is no way this Grill is worth it", I've been proven wrong after using it.

I'll soon find out if that proves true again, since I just purchased a 26. I have to admit it was still really hard for me to part with $300 for an overgrown kettle.
Chitown_hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2017, 01:57 PM   #4
dadsr4

I have two daisy wheel kettles, a 1979 and a 1993. When one of them finally wears out, I plan on replacing it with a 26" kettle.
Unless I find one on clearance before then.

Old 03-01-2017, 02:00 PM   #5
Jason TQ

I am always on the lookout for a good used deal on a 26 on craigslist, but they just never come up. I don't need one, but very much want one in my arsenal . That extra room is always nice to have.

Old 03-01-2017, 02:04 PM   #6
smoke ninja

Well i would glady trade two 22's for a 26 straight up.

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-01-2017, 02:48 PM   #7
m-fine
is Blowin Smoke!

Price out the Weber ranch (37") and you will see the 26" is an absolute bargain!

Old 03-01-2017, 03:21 PM   #8
robert-r
is One Chatty Farker

I just picked up a CL 26" for $180. It's in pretty good condition. They don't come up for sale much. Probably because there are not a lot of them around.

Haven't used it much because I'm going to make it into a performer with gas assist. If you have never used a performer, they are so much nicer than a straight kettle, imho. The table & gas assist really makes a difference. I got rid of my 22" kettle after I got the performer - both were a CL purchase.

I doubt I'll get rid of the performer - I've grown attached to it. Might off the 18" kettle.

Old 03-01-2017, 03:35 PM   #9
jonfromjersey
On the road to being a farker

Hi Ciggy-
As I was told, time and time again when trying to decide on and 18 inch WSM or a 22 WSM, if you can afford it go with the larger. I've never looked back and as someone who has a 22 kettle, I wish I had a 26. I see you live in Brooklyn, do you have the room for the 26?

Old 03-01-2017, 03:35 PM   #10
mchar69
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
I just picked up a CL 26" for $180.
That's a steal.
The thing about the 26 is you can do so much more with it via indirect cooking.
mchar69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2017, 04:15 PM   #11
robert-r
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchar69 View Post
The thing about the 26 is you can do so much more with it via indirect cooking.
That's why I wanted one. & also there have been times when searing one thing & doing indirect with another & also trying to keep something else warm & the 22 suddenly becomes too small. You can fire up 2 grills, however you have 2 fires in 2 different places to manage.

Put a 26 next to a 22 & you will see it's a much larger grill.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:02 PM   #12
McSpazatron
is one Smokin' Farker

I've got a 22 and a 26incher. I usually fill it up every time I cook, so that we have leftovers for a couple of days. Since getting the 26, I rarely use the 22. However the 22 has come in handy as a searing station when I was cooking a bunch of steaks indirect on the 26.

I love having both of them. If you are starting from scratch, buying new, and have a family to feed, then I think the extra money is justifiable for the 26 (assuming you have the discretionary cash). However, if tight on cash, I think buying a couple of used kettles would suffice when extra room is needed.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:39 PM   #13
SmittyJonz

I think most Guys would pay tens of thousand$ for 4 more inches.......

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-01-2017, 06:22 PM   #14
Norm
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Private

I've got both sizes and use the big weber so much I gave my neighbor the 22".
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2017, 06:25 PM   #15
effinUker
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Tim, Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
Well i would glady trade two 22's for a 26 straight up.
Agreed!
effinUker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charcoal, Grill, kettle, price, Weber, Weber Charcoal grill