MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:54 AM   #31
pitbossJB
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : el jefe

Sweet!! Nice job.

UDS with 007 mods and pizza top
Highly modified Bandera w/ griddle on firebox
Mini SJ/UDS
micro mini UDS
Smokey Joe's
1983 22.5" Weber kettle
pitbossJB is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 07-17-2013, 10:54 AM   #32
Tsevg9
On the road to being a farker

Looks sweet! If you ever feel like making another, I can take this off your hands for ya.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:51 AM   #33
Twelvegaugepump
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Thanks Smokin. Did you do the sandblasting or a shop? How many hours of effort. I am pricing sandblasting and it is very expensive in these parts!
Twelvegaugepump is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2013, 04:21 PM   #34
Smokin' Greene
Take a breath!

Default Modification and Changes

This the basket modification for the minion effect. Works good. I did not make 3 dividers like some people do.
Attachment 82183

I modified the upper cooking surface after cooking a few times. It was always in the way when cooking on the bottom grates. I cut 6" off.
Attachment 82184

Attachment 82185

I modified the ET counter weights. Doors weighed 27# they needed counter weights. The bend in the neck was to shorten the fold back position. They have a nice fluid movement. Not too heavy but wont come open going down the road. I found a very helpful calculation on the internet may have even been on the forum.
Attachment 82186

Attachment 82187

Modified hinges. First generation hinges real nice laser cut hinges looked great, but function was not what I wanted. The doors were not very fluid and smooth. I actually had to rebuild the doors completely. I had a piece of pipe left over. The 1st doors sprung about a .25" at the bottom and I got carried away with trying to pull them in and warped them pretty bad. So I started over and rebuilt the hinges at the same time. It was a time consuming loss, but turned out better in the end.
Attachment 82188

I also changed the handles at this time to. Laser cut pieces with a down turn to help with that hot wrist/edge of door potential problem. The handles are solid stock 1 1/4" aluminum drilled and tapped.

Attachment 82189

Finally Inlet Modification: After first two trial runs I did not like the temperature across the bottom grates. As you can see in the 1st picture I used a inverted inlet that pushed the heat upward, but the bottom of the pit remained cool. After visiting the bbq calculator I realized the inlet was not big enough for cooking chamber. So, I cut 2-2.5" hole below the other inlet and build a removable deflector plate and it worked like a charm. Even temp al the way across. I cooked 2 5# beef rib roast on the far end and 2 racks of baby back pork ribs closest to the fire box. I had a digital thermometer for both side same temp across pit.
Attachment 82190

Attachment 82191

Attachment 82192
Custom 24"x60" Insulated Offset
36" Assassin Grill
48" Custom Assassin Grill
A whole family of Webers.

Last edited by Smokin' Greene; 04-23-2019 at 08:00 AM..
Smokin' Greene is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
horizontal, Insulated, insulated smoker, offset, stick burner, trailer, trailer build