MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:07 AM   #61
va92bronco
On the road to being a farker

Great looking build. I'm building a smoker right now with a old woodstove for a firebox. Searched around and didn't find much info about people doing this. Seemed like a easy way to make a firebox. Since there was so little info, I was afraid I was doing a big no no and didn't realize it. Glad to see someone else with the same idea. Looks great. Subscribed.
Damage BBQ 250gal offset reverse flow homemade smoker on 5x8 trailer named #2.
va92bronco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2012, 11:26 AM   #62
Phrasty
Babbling Farker

Liking to build so far man! Looking really good! Man, I wish I had a steel yard like that near by me that I could buy cutoffs at!

Cheers
1 - 25 gal. self-made vertical smoker
1 - 120 gal. self-made trailer stick-burner

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=88599
Phrasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2012, 08:20 PM   #63
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by va92bronco View Post
Great looking build. I'm building a smoker right now with a old woodstove for a firebox. Searched around and didn't find much info about people doing this. Seemed like a easy way to make a firebox. Since there was so little info, I was afraid I was doing a big no no and didn't realize it. Glad to see someone else with the same idea. Looks great. Subscribed.
Well I would say as long as you are fairly confident in what has been in the wood burner beforehand you should be okay. We plan on blasting the heck out of the insides and out to help clean up any previous offenses it might have suffered. I ran the box through the calculator and it came out as large enough, although I am concerned that it will still be too small. Might end up feeding it more often than we would like. If so, we can always just fire up the plasma cutter and chop it right off again and build a larger one to replace it. Looking forward to seeing your build. Thanks for the feedback. Looking for any and all advice on this project.
Triple T BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2012, 08:22 PM   #64
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrasty View Post
Liking to build so far man! Looking really good! Man, I wish I had a steel yard like that near by me that I could buy cutoffs at!

Cheers
Hmm, and I was wishing I had the beautiful beaches and incredible looking shrimp to pick up at the roadside you have access to.

Its all a perspective thing I guess. Keep posting those recipes. You have me drooling!

Old 01-23-2012, 09:52 PM   #65
va92bronco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple T BBQ View Post
Well I would say as long as you are fairly confident in what has been in the wood burner beforehand you should be okay. We plan on blasting the heck out of the insides and out to help clean up any previous offenses it might have suffered. I ran the box through the calculator and it came out as large enough, although I am concerned that it will still be too small. Might end up feeding it more often than we would like. If so, we can always just fire up the plasma cutter and chop it right off again and build a larger one to replace it. Looking forward to seeing your build. Thanks for the feedback. Looking for any and all advice on this project.
Oh yeah. wire brushed and plan on getting it sand plasted if possible. Also going to get a fire going in just the firebox to maybe burn anything else before mounting the cooking chamber.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:01 PM   #66
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

More progress on the trailer tonight.

Gotten the fenders made up and mocked up on the trailer. Also started on the front storage box.

Another view of the new hot rod fenders.

Rear view of the new fenders. Nice and fat tires, and fender.

Narrowed the axle on the trailer so we could tuck the new rimSOs and tires under the new fenders.

Front view of the trailer.

Mocked up the location for the 6 inch chrome exhaust stack. Should have plenty of draw.

Took in the MPLS boat show this weekend and I think we are going to have to put our triple t bbq logo on the front part of the fender like they did in the sea ray trailer. Nice little led white backlighting on it too. Very nice touch. Time to get out the solidworks and get the local waterjet guy to cut some steel for me.

Last edited by Triple T BBQ; 01-26-2012 at 09:08 PM.. Reason: SP

Old 01-26-2012, 09:08 PM   #67
KingRanch450
is One Chatty Farker

Looking great....can't wait to see the finished product!

Old 01-26-2012, 09:37 PM   #68
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyeagle View Post
I wouldn't worry about controlling the exhaust other then something to block the rain.
I think we have this one covered now.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:25 PM   #69
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

More progress:

Took in the local boat show this last weekend. Saw another trailer with the same backlit setup. Going to have to add this to the trailer now for sure.

Finished the doors, hinges, and inner straps to help seal the doors. They turned out pretty good I think.

Another shot of the doors. By friend burned out the inside with his rosebud torch.

Picked up a used aluminum truck box for the storage unit for now. It was too cheap to pass up and only weighs about 30lbs!

Made some more measurements and we are ready to trim the trailer tongue and setup the tongue for the new master cylinder.

Another shot of the hinges and doors. Turned out pretty good I think.

A nice shot of the fender and inner panel. This should help keep the heat from the smoker and firebox off the trailer tires. Also a nice front shot of the disk brakes.

Another side shot of the trailer with the toolbox.

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-30-2012, 11:28 PM   #70
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Thanks for the update - been loving this thread!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-31-2012, 01:04 AM   #71
Phrasty
Babbling Farker

Gettin quite epic! Nice!
1 - 25 gal. self-made vertical smoker
1 - 120 gal. self-made trailer stick-burner

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=88599
Phrasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2012, 07:35 AM   #72
va92bronco

That thing is really going to look good. The back lite trick would look cool.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #73
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Default Friday Night updates

You know you have been checking and waiting for it.

Keep looking...

HEHEHE Here we go!

Got the fenders framed out. The front toolbox has also been started. We also finished the front brackets for the stainless steel shelving unit.

Note the tail light cut outs. The firebox got the vents put in today and the door stops are now welded into place.

The new master cylinder has been bolted on and the trailer tongue shortened. Ran out of steel till sunday so the storage and wood box will have to wait a bit.

Got the chimney stub ground down and welded into place. It lets us remove the 5ft tall six inch chrome stack when we are traveling to and from events.

Inside view of the stack. Made it so the insert will be able to be dropped down near grate level or up depending on the amount of smoke control or draw I want in the smoker.

A close up view of the brace and upper tube. The inner tube will slide up inside the fixed one and then be adjustable with the bolt and wing nut.

A close up photo of the vent. Also moved the original bracket on the right rear side of the firebox to the back to match the original one. And the door didn't cost 600 bucks extra either.

Last edited by Triple T BBQ; 02-03-2012 at 08:23 PM..

Old 02-03-2012, 07:32 PM   #74
bluetang
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

DUDE!
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest Purple Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #75
cholloway
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Colin

This is becoming a most outstanding build!
Char-Broil 450 (Purchased new in 1981)
1996 Blue Weber SS Performer
Weber charcoal Go-Anywhere
2 Weber SJSs & modified stock pot Mini-WSM
Weber rotisserie, Rib-O-Lator & Smokenator system
Blackstone Tailgater Combo & STOK Island gasser
cholloway is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jambo clone, offset smoker, reverse flow horizontal, trailer