MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:17 AM   #16
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks everyone. Its been a bit of work collecting things so far, but the deals are out there if you wait and are patient. I finished tearing down the trailer last night and checking things out.

* The left wheel bearings are shot as suspected and the tires are dot dated from 1990 which means they are original. Yikes. Already planned on replacing them so no worries there. In fact, I have a set of older aftermarket aluminum jeep rims that have been sitting around the shop for ten plus years that may fit. The brakes on the trailer were originally hydraulic based and totally trashed. I am just going to refit them with new disk brakes from my northern tool dealer. Found them on sale this week for 100 bucks off per side!!

* Pulled the stove into the shop and its going to take min amount of work to modify it. Pics coming shortly. This is a double walled unit with a blower on the bottom of the unit. Since we are going to dropping this down into the trailer I will either need to loose this fan or move it somewhere else. I am thinking of keeping it so I can use it to move warm arm to the warmer I want to build later on. The heat exchanger vent is on the top so that will get closed off and moved to the right side where the warmer will go eventually. I will just close it off with a plate for now. The rear has the classic 6 inch opening on the rear of the stove but its mounted about 3 inches too low. I am going to move this up and increase the size of the opening.

Was thinking of just picking up a straight piece of chrome stack from my local truck parts guy for the exhaust on the end of the cooker. Something like this. I figured I would just drop a standard stove damper in the top a couple inches down from the top to control the exhaust flow. Thoughts on this and the length? See my calculations below.

Can I get some feedback on the requirements?
My tank is 24x68 and I come up with 10248 for cubic inches. Since I am going to place the fire box inside the tank a bit I came up with 9646 after subtracting the space that the firebox will occupy in the tank.

The fire box comes up as 9504 cubic inches. So I think I am pretty close to the 1/3 rule as far as that goes.

My exhaust calculation comes in at 475 cubic inches and with 5 inch pipe the calculator says 24 inches in length. i figured I would make it 36-48 inches long just to get it up and away from us while running the smoker. Besides whats a little more draw when you need it right? Any concerns here?

The opening from the firebox to the cook chamber needs 76 cubic inches. I was just going to use a 5x16 opening across the top and rear of the box which would put me well over the 76ci I needed.

What are folks recommendations here for some the openings? Better to go larger, smaller or just follow the calculator to the decimal point?

Last edited by Triple T BBQ; 12-29-2011 at 09:36 AM..
Triple T BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2011, 03:59 PM   #17
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgaj1 View Post
Looking forward to this build. Between you and Ryan (Speers90), you have stoked my inner fire to build my own. I have the welders and a plasma cutter, I just can't find a tank.
I had better luck looking at local auction and steel scraping operations than i did with the propane tank dealers. Even though I know about how to cut up a propane tank, for the size i was looking for, this made perfect sense and again the price was right. Also if you have a trucking salvage yard in your area the air tanks on the 18 wheelers, buses, and other heavy equipment can be picked up pretty cheap too. Found a number of 40-80 gallon units that way.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-30-2011, 09:20 PM   #18
RevZiLLa
is Blowin Smoke!

Subscribed!

Brinkman water smokers (elec and charcoal)
Weber kettle grill
Uniflame Gold Stainless 5 burner propane grill / rotisserie
BBQ Grillware upright propane water smoker
A trench filled with wood coals and covered with chain link fence
RevZiLLa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2011, 09:39 PM   #19
Cloudsmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

This may be the most entertaining project in some time. Thanks for posting.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:46 PM   #20
speers90
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple T BBQ View Post
What are folks recommendations here for some the openings? Better to go larger, smaller or just follow the calculator to the decimal point?
To me it looks like your numbers will work fine. I didn't do any calculations for mine though so you might want to take my word with a grain of salt.

The Beast: 500 Gallon Homemade Reverse Flow
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187401[/url]
Weber 22"
Cajun Fryer FF2
speers90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2011, 10:49 PM   #21
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

a quick update for everyone. Finished up pulling the misc pieces off the trailer today and found the rims I was looking for in the back of the shop. It looks like they will fit just fine. They were the correct bolt pattern after all. 5 on 4.5 like most trailers. The brakes are on their way and should be in stock with my northern dealer sometime next week. Will hold off on the brake lines until we get the rest of the trailer loaded up and balanced. That way I know how much to take off the front tongue. The disk brakes use a conventional style master cylinder setup for the hitch point, and I don't want to have to do the brake lines in stainless twice.

I am going to pull the front cross bar that attached to the trailer tongue as far forward as possible.
I want to make sure the firrebox does not hang out the back of the trailer rails when done. Snapped a quick picture of the trailer up on the stands with the new/used rims in place.

If the weather holds for tomorrow I will start stripping the tank down and getting the brackets off. This way we can rotate the tank over and put the vents pn the bottom. I am going to use the pipe openings as my drip and drain locations. If this goes well we will start getting the tank mocked up into location with the firebox. Hopefully the rain and snow holds for one more day.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:06 PM   #22
stin187
Got Wood.

this is awesome!!!! Eagerly awaiting the results. Thanks for posting
stin187 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2011, 07:45 AM   #23
Greyeagle
Knows what a fatty is.

I wouldn't worry about controlling the exhaust other then something to block the rain.
Greyeagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2011, 07:56 AM   #24
Dragonfly
Full Fledged Farker

This looks like it's going to be an awesome build! Subscribed and waiting for progress!

Old 12-31-2011, 09:52 AM   #25
cholloway
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Colin

Lookin' Good!
Char-Broil 450 (Purchased new in 1981)
1996 Blue Weber SS Performer
Weber charcoal Go-Anywhere
2 Weber SJSs & modified stock pot Mini-WSM
Weber rotisserie, Rib-O-Lator & Smokenator system
Blackstone Tailgater Combo & STOK Island gasser
cholloway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2011, 10:35 AM   #26
BruceKWHP
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bruce

a GREAT way to start the new year, by bringing in a new smoker !

Will it be a reverse flow ?

Old 12-31-2011, 10:41 AM   #27
KingRanch450
is One Chatty Farker

Looking great

Old 01-07-2012, 04:54 PM   #28
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Got the feet off the tank and removed the bungs today. Also got it rotated around so that the 2 inch pipe bungs are on the bottom. I am going to use these for the grease and fat drains. The phone died so I could not get a couple shots of the progress, but will this week. Next up is chopping down the old truck rack I had siting around. Its all 2x2 square tubing. I am going to just use it for cross members on the trailer.

Some pork PRON to hold you over:
Took a break and tossed a couple pork shoulders and some country style ribs on the old smoker.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:17 PM   #29
campdude
Babbling Farker

That is going to be an awesome smoker. Will keep watching and waiting.
campdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2012, 06:19 PM   #30
KingRanch450
is One Chatty Farker

I'm really enjoying watching the progress.

Tags
jambo clone, offset smoker, reverse flow horizontal, trailer