MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:01 PM   #1
YokeUp
Full Fledged Farker

Talking Competition Trailer Air Conditioner

hey ya'll.... I took the leap and ordered our first competition trailer...it's a baby step up from the tents... 6x12 cargo trailer. We are having them finish the inside with insulation, lights and flooring. One thing I didn't add is the air conditioner, their only option was a $1100 roof unit. I have talked with people about adding a window unit for much less cost, but you have to cut a hole in one of the sides..I'm thinking the front in one of the V- panels.... Here's the question, have any of you done this and if so, can you share your wisdom with me?

thanks in advance.
[URL]http://www.UnitedBBQLeague.com[/URL]
YokeUp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2011, 03:03 PM   #2
BearCat
Knows what a fatty is.

Never done it, but dealing with AC units alot. remember not only the cutting but you may need a mounting bracket so that would work better on the front then hanging on the side while in route
BearCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-26-2011, 03:05 PM   #3
Goddahavit
is one Smokin' Farker

i would make sure the top is reinforced for a roof ac and look for a used one, i have seen 13.5 units for around 300. it doesn't look hard to install them.

just a thought...
Backyard Jambo
Stump's Stretch
Bubba Keg
Weber WSM
Old weber gasser
Goddahavit is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-26-2011, 03:27 PM   #4
Carnivorous Endeavors BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Hey Jeff,

You got it bad don't you??? BBQ in the blood..ha ha Moving up out of the realm of us tent dwellers and getting all fancy with a trailer..ha ha
KCBS CBJ & TC #55078
IBCA #2570
Carnivorous Endeavors BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2011, 03:28 PM   #5
widespread
Full Fledged Farker

I use a roll-around portable 8k BTU a/c in our 16' box trailer, works ok. All I had to do was cut a small hole in the floor for the exhaust hose.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:37 PM   #6
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

You didn't mention if you have double barn doors or a tilt ramp ...

An alternate direction... have barn doors. Picked up a foam insulation board ... 2" x 4' x 8' and trimmed to fit (held in place by friction only).... just folding back the right door and secured in place. Using a portable shelf... secured a window a/c unit and cut out the opening... keeping the trailer intact.

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2011, 03:43 PM   #7
Big Ugly's BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

That there is an OUTSTANDING idea, Bandit. There will be time when the AC unit is not needed and that hole will become a problem.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:45 PM   #8
YokeUp
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Bandit View Post
You didn't mention if you have double barn doors or a tilt ramp ...

An alternate direction... have barn doors. Picked up a foam insulation board ... 2" x 4' x 8' and trimmed to fit (held in place by friction only).... just folding back the right door and secured in place. Using a portable shelf... secured a window a/c unit and cut out the opening... keeping the trailer intact.

WOW, that's an amazing approach, thank you so much
[URL]http://www.UnitedBBQLeague.com[/URL]
YokeUp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2011, 03:46 PM   #9
gmholler
Full Fledged Farker

Jeff-
Contact Barry Smith (he'll be in Baton Rouge this weekend, I'm not sure if he's coming to Natchitoches next weekend) - he sold us our trailer with the window A/C unit in the front. I don't recall right off-hand if he said they had to install that special or not. I couldn't live without the A/C!

Lynn H.
gmholler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2011, 03:53 PM   #10
crd26a
Full Fledged Farker

My recommendation would be to have an AC Mount & Power put into the trailer then buy and install the AC yourself. It "should" save you a couple of hundred bucks, but will be up and out of the way, be setup to handle the AC much better and won't be a rigged setup that something could go wrong on. You can shop online for the right AC unit for you, easy to find some links and various price ranges, but IMHO will serve you better in the long run.

Oh, and if you do go this route, take into account needed head clearance around it. Just FYI

Old 05-26-2011, 04:13 PM   #11
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

Go on craigs list and get a roof top unit and put it in yourself. It goes where the vent is. If the manufacturer offers it as an option, then the support is already there. Bought mine on craigs for $150 3 years ago and it still works great. Even put in the heat strip for thoes cold nights early in the year. Runs off a 20 amp service. You will need some putty to place under the roof flange and some help getting it up there. My son-in-law and I put mine on. Just put a piece of plywood on the roof to support my fat A$$ and it was a piece of cake.

I can assure you, it's not worth $1,100.00 that they want.
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2011, 05:01 PM   #12
DCFIREMANN
On the road to being a farker

Look on Ebay. In the camper parts listing. The unit should not cost you more than 400.00. A roof mounted unit is the only way to go.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
1- JR ENTERPRISES 60-23
1 SOUTHERN PRIDE BBR-79
1 SOUTHERN PRIDE SPK-500
WEBER RANCH KETTLE
2-WEBER 26.75 GOLD KETTLES

The DC Fire Department Firefighting BBQ Team!
DCFIREMANN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2011, 05:05 PM   #13
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by widespread View Post
I use a roll-around portable 8k BTU a/c in our 16' box trailer, works ok. All I had to do was cut a small hole in the floor for the exhaust hose.
I have never considered or thought of a portable unit.
Did some "shopping" and I am going to buy one for Sherman.
I am amazed at the way they have improved over the years.
Very cost effective.

That may solve the "I am not doing summer comps" problem I have faced.

Thanks for the idea.

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2011, 05:41 PM   #14
RobKC
is one Smokin' Farker

If you go with the window unit in the barn door method, make sure the ac is tilted back just enough so the condensate will drain.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:00 PM   #15
huminie
is one Smokin' Farker

Just be careful with the big rooftop units. The draw a lot of power and can be damaged if there is low voltage. A lot of them require 30amps to work reliably and you can burn them out if the voltage is poor.

This thread just reminded me that I have a window AC unit in my garage. It was used for one summer only...that summer was 1996. I wonder if that thing still works...

1 members found this post helpful.

Tags
air, conditioner, trailer