MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:27 PM   #1
JayBirde
Knows what a fatty is.

Talking A Good Start!

Hello Fellow BBQers!! I'm fairly new around here and figured I would post some pictures of our current project and maybe get a little insight as well. We are building a trailer-mounted smoker currently for competition/catering use. We have never competed before but are very excited to start. Our team has picked up several sponsorships already and we have 2 events on our schedule right now.

Now, on to the trailer.....I had an old tent trailer frame donated to our team that was stripped down to the frame. We put sheets of 1/4" plate steel (also donated) starting at the front of the trailer and ending 14" from the rear bumper. There is 8" from the sides of the trailer to the plate steel down both sides. We are going to fill in these spaces with steel diamond plate. We will also have diamond plate fenders over the wheels.

I have a real nice Kuma woodstove (also donated) for our firebox. We plan on cutting a hole in the right hand side of the woodstove and a matching hole in the bottom left hand side of the oil tank we are using for our smoker body and welding the two together. This is going to be a reverse flow smoker. Above the hole in the smoker body will be our smoke baffle with 2" tall sides (so that we can pour water on top of the smoke baffle to add moisture). We will pitch the smoke baffle slightly to the left (thinking 1/4" per foot) and put in a ball valve on the outside for a drain. We also plan on putting a 1" ball valve drain on the bottom of the smoker so that it can be washed out from time to time and drained. We are going to use expanded steel and square stock for our shelves and make them two-piece so that they can be removed easily. The damper will be cut into the front of the firebox door to control the airflow. We still need to come up with the calculation for the gap between the smoke baffle and the side of the smoker body (if anyone can help it would be appreciated).

Another thought I had was to put a hot water coil in the back of the firebox with a piece of expanded steel in front of it to protect it from logs, etc. I could put a hose fitting through the side of the trailer with a tee directly behind it to send water to
  1. The cold water side of the sink
  2. To the hot water coil in the firebox, out of the firebox and into the hot water side of the sink
Let me know what you think about this idea, please.

Here are some pictures from last Sunday. We cut the tank on Sunday and burned a nice hot fire in it for almost 10 hours to get any oil residue out of the tank. I don't believe the tank ever had fuel oil (didn't smell like it). Only had some black sawdust looking stuff in the bottom (and very little at that). Word of warning: When I went to cut the door, my original plan was to just cut the top all the way through, then weld on my hinges and then cut the rest out....but....when they built this tank they must have started with a piece of steel laid on the top, tack welded it and then bent it around a little and welded again (over & over). When I went to cut the door, the radius had massive pressure on it. If you look closely at the top of the door cut-out you can see how wavy it is. I plan on clamping a thick piece of angle iron on the top inside and welding, move the clamp down a little further, weld again, etc. until the top edge is straight again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0137.jpg (52.1 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0139.jpg (72.5 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0138.jpg (70.9 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0140.jpg (68.7 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0141.jpg (66.0 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0142.jpg (63.8 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0143.jpg (76.8 KB, 123 views)
JayBirde is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Looks good!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-13-2010, 08:41 PM   #3
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

Looking good so far
BRBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2010, 08:44 PM   #4
Derek
is Blowin Smoke!

Yes it looks good so far, Don't stop with just a few pictures
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2010, 09:12 PM   #5
Papa Payne
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBirde View Post
Another thought I had was to put a hot water coil in the back of the firebox with a piece of expanded steel in front of it to protect it from logs, etc. I could put a hose fitting through the side of the trailer with a tee directly behind it to send water to
  1. The cold water side of the sink
  2. To the hot water coil in the firebox, out of the firebox and into the hot water side of the sink
Let me know what you think about this idea, please.

Hello Jay and welcome aboard!

With a coil of tubing running through your firebox for hot water, you could easily get water so hot it would seriously burn someone. If you go through with this then you need one of those scald prove mixing valves and a pressure relief device on your hot water side...

Keep us posted on your progress.

Papa

Old 04-13-2010, 09:12 PM   #6
Nomanerz
On the road to being a farker

Looks awesome and well thought out!
[LEFT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#0000ff](Different Mothers)[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/LEFT]
[LEFT][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Haulmark Competition Trailer[/FONT][/LEFT]
[LEFT][FONT=Comic Sans MS]American Barbecue Systems Pit Boss[/FONT][/LEFT]
[LEFT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=black][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/LEFT]
[LEFT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=black][FONT=Comic Sans MS]OTP, OTG, 2 Snailesque UDS's
Traeger Junior[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/LEFT]
Nomanerz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2010, 09:33 PM   #7
JohnJ
On the road to being a farker

Is that a cub in the background?
JohnJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2010, 09:48 PM   #8
Crazy Harry
is Blowin Smoke!

looks good neighbor

[URL]http://www.teddybearcreations-wa.com[/URL]
Note to mods: is the back link ok?
When all else fails ......
Crazy Harry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2010, 12:51 AM   #9
JayBirde
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post
Is that a cub in the background?
Why yes it is!!

Old 04-28-2010, 12:53 AM   #10
JayBirde
Knows what a fatty is.

Sorry guys, I forgot I posted this and started another thread!! Here is the link to the more recent thread: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=83362

Tags
hot water coil, smoke baffle, smoker, trailer