Any good reason to cook a whole spare as is?

EyeBurnEverything

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I usually buy St Louis or Baby backs. Came across a decent priced whole spare. I thought of chopping it into STL, but thought i would ask if others cook them whole, and if so, reasons why.

I have cooked a lot of whole spares and love the results, once in awhile the tips get a little over done depending how meaty they are.

Only whole spares for me. I don't know why you would want to remove the best part.

Can you explain why they are the best part? And are the tips chopped off after cooked, and if not, how are the ribs served with the tips still attached?

To be honest I find myself buying the rib tips (Smithfield Extra Tender) from Walmart, they come 3 to a pack and are meaty and delicious and they are cheap plus they cook about 25% faster than whole spares.

Pic below is 2 packs of Smithfield Extra Tender rib tips on my smoker.

IMG_20170406_092316995.jpg

Can you explain why they are the best part? And are the tips chopped off after cooked, and if not, how are the ribs served with the tips still attached?

They are the fattiest, juiciest part of the rib, and on good slabs, they are the meatiest. I leave mine attached, and just slice between the bones, so that each rib, has a little bit of the goodness. There is some gristle in them, but it isn't that hard to slice through, if they are cooked properly. I guess you could remove them, and serve separately. If I were going to do that, I would probably remove them before cooking, and cook separately.

They are the fattiest, juiciest part of the rib, and on good slabs, they are the meatiest. I leave mine attached, and just slice between the bones, so that each rib, has a little bit of the goodness. There is some gristle in them, but it isn't that hard to slice through, if they are cooked properly. I guess you could remove them, and serve separately. If I were going to do that, I would probably remove them before cooking, and cook separately.

Pics of cut ribs with tips?

To be honest I find myself buying the rib tips (Smithfield Extra Tender) from Walmart, they come 3 to a pack and are meaty and delicious and they are cheap plus they cook about 25% faster than whole spares.

Pic below is 2 packs of Smithfield Extra Tender rib tips on my smoker.

View attachment 164649

I have actually never seen this at any grocery or walmart. One time a local grocery had what they called "petite ribs" I bought a few packs because they were pretty cheap. I had no idea how to "chop" them after they were cooked.

Here is what they look like cut.

picture.php

Below is what the packages look like, they call them brisket bones on the package and rib tips on the price tag. If you can find them give them a try.

IMG_20170406_085603468.jpg

Sorry I have never taken a picture of any of my whole cooked spares, whole or cut. I'm sure someone will come along and post a few pics.

I am looking at the package (store brand not cryovac) and the tip section looks like there is no bones in that section. It tapers from the rib tip section to the bone section. If that makes any sense. Tomorrow i will take pics when i open the package to smoke it.

Attachments

• wholespares1.jpg
    wholespares1.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 456
  • wholespares2.jpg
    wholespares2.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 452
Last edited:
The whole rib tips I buy have bone only at one end and cartilage on the other end and just meat in the middle. Looking forward to seeing what you think about the finished product.

The whole rib tips I buy have bone only at one end and cartilage on the other end and just meat in the middle. Looking forward to seeing what you think about the finished product.

Its going to be hard to judge. I just bought a Weber MT because i was tired of lugging out the WSM every time i wanted to smoke something. Plus i love all the attachments for the MT. I still need to drill a hole for the BBQ Guru but Temps should be a lot easier to maintain.

Below is what the packages look like, they call them brisket bones on the package and rib tips on the price tag. If you can find them give them a try.

View attachment 164650

I have cut more breast bones/brisket bones off pork ribs than most mortal people can fathom. Pretty sure, "a $hit ton" is a quantifiable number.

That said...

I can honestly say, I have never seen cryos in that fashion.

I have also never cooked the scraps I used to cut...so I'm absolutely intrigued at the final product!

I have cut more breast bones/brisket bones off pork ribs than most mortal people can fathom. Pretty sure, "a $hit ton" is a quantifiable number.

That said...

I can honestly say, I have never seen cryos in that fashion.

I have also never cooked the scraps I used to cut...so I'm absolutely intrigued at the final product!

You and me both!

I'm probably in the minority (I'm used to it) but I cut the full spares into SL cut. I don't cook them along side my main cook though. I save them until I have enough and just cook the rib tips. Seasoned with salt and pepper, I smoke them whole for about 2-1/2 hours. Yank them and cut them into 1-2" long chunks and braise them in a tightly covered pan with some thinned out bottled bbq sauce and back on the smoker for about 45 minutes. Pluck the chunks out - hit them with more thinned sauce then onto a veggie pan to firm up the sauce. (tried it without the veggie pan- lost several chunks to the Fire Gods- so tender they just slipped thru the bars). Sort of what I'd think pork burnt ends would be like. THESE I like better than my ribs :grin:

Back