• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Sweet sweet tree revenge

onemanlan

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
In Feb of 2020 a big ole oak tree fell on my house. Turns out it had likely been rotted from a previous drought spell & it lost its structure. In a particularly wet & windy series of days it couldn't hold up any more & generously fell on my kitchen instead of my nearby bedroom. Instead of taking my wife & I out it took out ~4 of my grills in what I dubbed grillpocolypse 2020(album link). I lost a KJ Big Joe 1, WSM 14, Weber Gasser, and an OK Joe Bronco along with some real house damage to boot.

9r2S4F6l.jpg

The house damage & issues that oak caused were numerous, but it's all mostly sorted by this point. In the end it was for the better. I convereted the losses on the 4 grills into a Weber 22 Kettle & a Humphrey's Battle Box(album link).

What I also did is preserve some of it of that big bastard with intent to eventually use it for something. Smoke wood was the most logical choice, but I wanted to get something back from the whole ordeal. That time has finally arrived!

About 1.5 years after the fact the wood is mostly seasoned, the tools & space for the reclamation ready to go. Go go action mual & hammer!

First off the fallen tree in this series of pics isn't the offending tree. Different place altogether. The smaller chunks at the bottom of the pic are the oak(still not sure what type) and the upper, more light red logs are kiln dried B&B pecan splits. The chunks are ideal for my grills/smoker set up so I prefer them.

kS9s9ywl.jpg

zRMNcPTl.jpg

BiRXXvYl.jpg

1UBt3IFl.jpg

XgfBiqql.jpg

So now I'm ready for a sweet year or so of revenge smoking with this oak. I've tested it with hotdogs to 1) confirm it's oak & 2) make sure it's well seasoned. Good on both fronts. Not dead yet so must be Ok smoke wood. Now time for the reckoning... err cooking!

In all this I have to say the Kindling Kracker is the best experience I've ever had cutting up logs/splits. I highly recommend picking one up if you have to do this or fires much in your off time. I might suggest getting the bigger variety because I definitely found myself hitting the limit of the normal size. Regardless its an amazing tool.

Edit: oops had some busted links. I think I fixed them all!

Last edited:
Shoot! Close call! Glad you and family are alright. Nice way to recover!

Awesome! We lost a big hickory tree last summer when some gnarly storms rolled through the midwest. We paid to have to tree cut/ground out but kept the wood.

Tis a big pile of wood. A lifetime supply really!

I bet your food will taste better, what with locally sourced wood. :wink:

Thanks guys! We're all safe and sound and it ended up working out for the better for the house & my grill situation that it did happen. Got a new roof and better equipment after the pain.

My poor buddy near Montgomery, who I shared this tidbit with, just had a tree come through his house last night. Smashed through his bedroom where he was chillin & banged him up a good bit. He's alright all things considered. Family was safe. Too bad for him it was a pine. Big trees & strong winds are a dangerous combo!

Awesome! We lost a big hickory tree last summer when some gnarly storms rolled through the midwest. We paid to have to tree cut/ground out but kept the wood.

Tis a big pile of wood. A lifetime supply really!

I bet your food will taste better, what with locally sourced wood. :wink:

Glad you could keep it around & find a usue for it. Like you said with that amount of wood its almost a supply for life. Speaking of is there generally a limit on life time of seasoned wood? I suppose its done-zo when it starts getting rotted & hollow or some mess?

If I had more foresight I would have collected more. My dad took a bunch of it home. Perhaps I can barter some BBQ for some of the wood back lol.

Regarding the food - I aim to find out. The storm at tossed a tree at my buddy's place last night stopped me from cooking yesterday. Today I'm doing 2 spatch-cocked chickens on the MB560 with some chunks. I'll post up the results here!

Glad you are ok. I've had second thoughts about buying homes because of huge trees. I love them but I don't have the heart to cut them down and when they are right beside the house it makes me uneasy. And they cost thousands to have removed. You should have plenty of cooking wood for years to come.

I’d say it was lucky for your buddy it was a pine tree; if your oak had fallen on him, he’d be like the witch in the Wizard of Oz after the house fell on her.

Attachments

• ACF191A5-4659-43A5-88A8-D824EB827745.jpeg
    ACF191A5-4659-43A5-88A8-D824EB827745.jpeg
    27 KB · Views: 178
It turned out great! Way better than the kiln dried oak chunks I've used in the past. In total I used 2 large chunks and 1 smaller chunk. Didn't want to overpower the chicken. 100% happy with how it turned out. Feels nice to circle back to this so long after the fact!

uCSi9CMl.jpg

fQikxlal.jpg

sbulJOOl.jpg

n1RnCa1l.jpg
1oLKc67l.jpg

Regarding my buddy - no kidding. The pine sliced through his house due to how skiny it was. If it had larger branches it might have been the end for him. Glad he's ok too.

Thanks for the well wishes & checking out my small story. Can't wait to do more oak projects in the near future. :)

That's definitely making lemonade. I'm getting a huge hickory taken down this week that has died. Neighbor will take most of it for his fireplace, but I'll still have smoking wood for years.

That's definitely making lemonade. I'm getting a huge hickory taken down this week that has died. Neighbor will take most of it for his fireplace, but I'll still have smoking wood for years.

Hickory really is the grail.Pecan and Oak are OK but Hickory is the bomb.Congrats!

Good to see everything turned out ok in the end and you got some wood to boot. I have noticed home seasoned splits and chunks produce a better product than the plastic bag stuff

I have to agree the naturally seasoned wood is better than the bagged kiln dried wood all day. I thought I had it good with those up until now. Now I'm wondering what I'm missing.

It also has me eye balling every fallen tree with the intent to see if it's usable smoke wood lol! Gotta up my ID game. That or perhaps contact some of the tree removal services nearby to see what they do with their excess.

I'll report back as I cook with this stuff more. The wife likes it a lot so we're green lit to go a bit wild(ish). She's not the biggest fan of hickory, since she didn't grow up with it, so I've been mainly using kiln dried pecan & apple chunks over the last year. They tend to be more agreeable to her. This will be a welcome change for the both of us.

I have to agree the naturally seasoned wood is better than the bagged kiln dried wood all day. I thought I had it good with those up until now. Now I'm wondering what I'm missing.

It also has me eye balling every fallen tree with the intent to see if it's usable smoke wood lol! Gotta up my ID game. That or perhaps contact some of the tree removal services nearby to see what they do with their excess.

I'll report back as I cook with this stuff more. The wife likes it a lot so we're green lit to go a bit wild(ish). She's not the biggest fan of hickory, since she didn't grow up with it, so I've been mainly using kiln dried pecan & apple chunks over the last year. They tend to be more agreeable to her. This will be a welcome change for the both of us.

Rubber necking branches?
glad it all turned out good in the end

Back