Chile Planting Season has begun

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Chili Con Carne. Chile Meat. Stewed Chiles and meat- not much else. Different meats and fat content-different chiles And their taste/heat/earthiness/sweetness etc. I’ve studied (advanced 101 beginner) chile-chili-chilis-chilies in many different forms. I don’t believe Texas nor Texans invented chili. Hatch is a region not a variety. Texas has The Chili Queens And Wolf Brand connect. Chili Powder Blends. A couple times lately I’ve tried this recipe (minus the leaves). Chiles are cheap and interesting. I’ve used different cuts of beef, pork loin, pork shoulder with smoked pork belly. I thought I’d scored a goat leg but just missed. In Chili or Chile Con Carne at its most basic level you can really alter the flavor with chosen meat and chiles, combinations of meat and chiles. It’s a long way from ChiliDog recipes, Depression era Chili Bowl recipe. All are good. Just different

One thing I’ve decided is I will never know everything about Chile Con Carne. Simple food that goes great with corn tortillas versus saltines or oyster crackers.

I would encourage you to try this red chile sauce, add your favorite meat and allow it to reduce and serve with fry softened corn tortillas.

Another world in Chili/Chile/Chilies/Chiles and two LL’s

https://newmexiconomad.com/red-chile-sauce/

PS: if near Pueblo Colorado some vendors are selling Pueblo Chile plants to grow at home

Last edited:
Thanks for the bookmark. :thumb:

canoncito-x-chocolate-hab-jpg.482275

U ever breed em??

[(Canoncito x Choc Bell) x (Canoncito x Hot Paper Lantern)]

Canoncitos are a NM variety from around Sante Fe. Meaning VERY tolerant to cold temps/frost, and a very fast finisher. ONCE THEY START (late in the season). Wildgardenseed I believe still carries them.

kimg0577-jpg.488858

I do buy a few (lol) throughout the year from hispanic markets. Red chile sauce marries great with pork butt (carne adovada) but I am a bigger fan of some HOT Albuquerque style chili verde

Last edited:
But can they be Pueblo Chiles if I grow em in Kansas?

Breed em and call em whatever u want, just support the open seed initiative and dont think about patenting crap lol..

unfortunately it looks like wildgardenseed no longer carries Canoncitos, but a quick Google search showed a couple "we originally got this from wildgarden canoncito seed stock"'s.

as a very old landrace there is a LOT of diversity in them. You get phenotypes similar to all its/NM chiles decedents.. that includes bell peppers, jalapenos, poblanos.

like grapes in wine, or IMO much more noticeable, the variation of Midwest hops vs. PNW, there is an element of terroir. Your "pueblo's", canoncitos, ghost peppers etc grown over there will tend to be consistently different than mine grown over here. weather, soil, temp flucs etc all are factors

Breed em and call em whatever u want, just support the open seed initiative and dont think about patenting crap lol..

unfortunately it looks like wildgardenseed no longer carries Canoncitos, but a quick Google search showed a couple "we originally got this from wildgarden canoncito seed stock"'s.

as a very old landrace there is a LOT of diversity in them. You get phenotypes similar to all its/NM chiles decedents.. that includes bell peppers, jalapenos, poblanos.

like grapes in wine, or IMO much more noticeable, the variation of Midwest hops vs. PNW, there is an element of terroir. Your "pueblo's", canoncitos, ghost peppers etc grown over there will tend to be consistently different than mine grown over here. weather, soil, temp flucs etc all are factors

I know all that's true.
For many years I've been buying seeds from Sandia Seed. I get the seeds that are used to grow Hatch peppers in the Hatch valley of New Mexico...I know I can call em what ever the F I want as long as I don't try to market the peppers or the sauces that I make from em.

I buy the seeds. nurture the seedlings, give em the best organic soil I can, and harvest peppers in Kansas that will match any actual Hatch peppers I have ever paid for. Call em what you want...

I'm good. It's my favorite time of year...

My son grows shi****os. He thinks they’re the perfect pepper for lots of things. He blisters and puts on sandwiches, sautés and serves on charcuterie board and makes a really tasty salsa. He eats them fresh from his garden and when gone they’re gone. He doesn’t store any.

We’re planting shi****o, NM Big Jim and another NM that evades me, it’s a number not a name. No really hot stuff though Ive got a pretty serious Hot Sauce collection. And I’ve got multiple milder hot sauces as well.

I know all that's true.
For many years I've been buying seeds from Sandia Seed. I get the seeds that are used to grow Hatch peppers in the Hatch valley of New Mexico...I know I can call em what ever the F I want as long as I don't try to market the peppers or the sauces that I make from em.

I buy the seeds. nurture the seedlings, give em the best organic soil I can, and harvest peppers in Kansas that will match any actual Hatch peppers I have ever paid for. Call em what you want...

I'm good. It's my favorite time of year...
It looks like my point didn't come across, which was "does it matter?", lol. I am a little confused by your reply when why your original post was "can I call them pueblos in kansas".

As for matching Hatch chiles, for all intents and purposes sure. The differences are subtle on chiles. Whether or not things like the elevation, temp fluctuations etc. have a noticeable effect on plants isn't really up for debate, though.

How much sand and other amendments r u mixing into what brand of soil to match Hatch ? :p I don't go all out like that anymore, but I used to when & where possible.. Double-potting my canoncitos with the other being used for cooling :laugh:

another NM that evades me, it’s a number not a name. No really hot stuff though Ive got a pretty serious Hot Sauce collection. And I’ve got multiple milder hot sauces as well.
https://aces.nmsu.edu/pubs/research/horticulture/RR763/
9, 6, 6-4, RG 21.. and that list is definitely not entirely inclusive lol

I like scorpions flavor for that scotch bonnet-y side of habanero/ghost family, but there are a ton of cool milder and landrace habaneros ive tasted. white habs are super flavorful. personally i like a lot of habs better when they're still green, was thrilled to find bulk green habs the other day at a fancy grocery store i never go to. naturally i made some good salsa, froze the other few ($3!) lbs to ferment for sauce soon

It looks like my point didn't come across, which was "does it matter?", lol.

Oh I get yer point. But I've dealt with too many folks over the years that wanna make a big thing of it. I get it.

I used to grow Walla Walla onions to sell at the farmers market. Not the same as what's grown in Washington. Also a patented name. Just called em sweet peppers. Cause they were.
Same with my Red Savina habs. Another protected name. I respect that.

As for matching Hatch chiles, for all intents and purposes sure. The differences are subtle on chiles. Whether or not things like the elevation, temp fluctuations etc. have a noticeable effect on plants isn't really up for debate, though.

I do recognize the differences that soil and climate make in growth and flavor. My chiles are what they are. And they are mine :thumb: Not claiming any more than that.

Sorry Adams. No intent to hijack...

Chile and Chili are grand topics I enjoy the points of view. Like the first time I received a green chile slopper in error at a restaurant. A beautiful mistake. All good In
Scoville-ville

Side note a part of my day today I’ve been reading on Civil War Generals who transferred to the Indian Wars. Sheridan-Custer etc. have you read how Custer “may” have been treated. Damn. Peppers are light reading

Carry on

Last edited:
Back