MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-26-2021, 10:35 AM   #16
Josh@MAK
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Josh

Thanks for sharing your impressions and congrats on owning two great grills!
Josh@MAK is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2021, 09:40 PM   #17
OakBendBBQ
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Dave

Had both.
Still have the MAK 2-Star.
OakBendBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-28-2021, 11:17 PM   #18
jj13
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakBendBBQ View Post
Had both.
Still have the MAK 2-Star.
Just curious, what was your reason for getting rid of the Yoder over the Mak?
jj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2021, 10:06 AM   #19
Volsfan846
Got Wood.

Now if you could go buy a Memphis and add that to the comparison...lol. Love my Memphis. I think it would end up with the smoke flavor of the Yoder and the temp accuracy of the MAK. That thing will hold temp rock solid as long as you keep pellets in there. It has a center fire box like the MAK and has very consistent temps front to back and right to left other than the very front 2 inches. Personally, I would prefer more smoke, but I have smoke tubes for that.

Old 04-29-2021, 12:56 PM   #20
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Andrew

I have a recteq rt700. Based on your comparison, I'd say my recteq is probably more comparable to the Yoder as far as how it cooks and the smoke flavor. My recteq is very accurate, temp wise though (+/-5*). I've been very happy with everything I've cooked in that cooker!

Thanks for taking the time to do the comparison on these two cookers. Even though I dont have either cooker nor do I plan to get one, I was still interested in the results. I have no doubt that either cooker would satisfy just about anyone who purchased one.
22.5 Crimson Weber Premium
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-Less Turker Fryer
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Black Weber OTG (Happy Hapgood)
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
28” Blackstone Pro Series
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Check out the PBC Appreciation Thread!
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210239[/url]
AClarke44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2021, 02:49 PM   #21
Bob C Cue
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AClarke44 View Post
I have a recteq rt700. Based on your comparison, I'd say my recteq is probably more comparable to the Yoder as far as how it cooks and the smoke flavor. My recteq is very accurate, temp wise though (+/-5*). I've been very happy with everything I've cooked in that cooker!

Thanks for taking the time to do the comparison on these two cookers. Even though I dont have either cooker nor do I plan to get one, I was still interested in the results. I have no doubt that either cooker would satisfy just about anyone who purchased one.
Even though I've heard several people say they do not like the horns, I think your cooker is very cool looking. And that's no bull! SWIDT. (Except for the external grease bucket, oh my eyes, my eyes!!!)

Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

[I]Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast[/I].
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-29-2021, 03:04 PM   #22
Chester
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C Cue View Post
Even though I've heard several people say they do not like the horns, I think your cooker is very cool looking. And that's no bull! SWIDT. (Except for the external grease bucket, oh my eyes, my eyes!!!)

Maybe they need to redesign the bucked to look like a couple of nuts?
UDS home made and ugly
Weber Genesis II SE 330
Breeo X 24
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2021, 05:45 PM   #23
OakBendBBQ
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj13 View Post
Just curious, what was your reason for getting rid of the Yoder over the Mak?
The OP did an outstanding job explaining the differences between the two cookers. For me it really boiled down to maintenance issues with the Yoder; all of which have been beaten to death. I had no issues with the food it produced.

The Yoder is a fine pellet grill, for me the MAK is better.
OakBendBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2021, 09:07 PM   #24
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Except for the external grease bucket, oh my eyes, my eyes!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester View Post
Maybe they need to redesign the bucked to look like a couple of nuts?
Why yall lookin at my grease bucket!

And Edit.....Mine looks better!
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Last edited by AClarke44; 04-29-2021 at 09:12 PM..

Old 04-29-2021, 09:23 PM   #25
Bob C Cue

I just showed the last few threads to my wife so she could see how funny we all are. She just looked at me with with a quizzical face and said "I don't get it."

True story.
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

[I]Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast[/I].
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2021, 10:15 PM   #26
DBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Dennis

I loved your comparisons; I had the original rec tec, mak 2 star, and now Yoder. I have not needed customer service from Yoder yet, but it was most excellent from both Mak and Rec-Tec. The food I cooked on them was probably equal across the 3, though I did discover tonight the Yoder is a high-level chicken cooker.

Old 04-30-2021, 02:11 PM   #27
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Quote:
I just showed the last few threads to my wife so she could see how funny we all are. She just looked at me with with a quizzical face and said "I don't get it."

True story.
Bob, there are some funny guys here but dude! you've got to be the funniest man I know. The jokes and pranks you are always pulling in the forum...That's funny stuff! Its actually pretty hard to pull off some of what you do and make it actually funny with an audience that has to read everything from a forum, but you have me cracking up on a daily basis reading your posts and reply's. Come to think of it, I don't know you well enough to know if you've ever tried stand up comedy or not, but if you haven't, you are definitely missing your calling. Bro, even if you are shy, I would look into writing comedy if I were you. You could probably make some serious money reading some of the stuff you come up with. I'm sure I'm not the only person here that finds your posts hilarious! Matter of fact, I've had conversations with other Brethren about how funny you are! If there were a Brethren Comedian of the Year award, you'd easily win!
Bob, I'm sure your wife didn't read this far down so I hope I posted enough "Bob the comedian" BS for you.....lol
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Old 04-30-2021, 03:33 PM   #28
jkief
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeffry

[/QUOTE]

It does! Maybe I haven’t dialed the Yoder down that far in temp, but I’ve never seen that amount of smoke come from my Yoder yet. There are more experimenting in the future. But 2 rounded shape grease hangers would be off the charts awesome to see!!

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-30-2021, 03:38 PM   #29
rwalters

Name/Nickname : Robb

Quote:
Originally Posted by AClarke44 View Post
Bob, there are some funny guys here but dude! you've got to be the funniest man I know. The jokes and pranks you are always pulling in the forum...That's funny stuff! Its actually pretty hard to pull off some of what you do and make it actually funny with an audience that has to read everything from a forum, but you have me cracking up on a daily basis reading your posts and reply's. Come to think of it, I don't know you well enough to know if you've ever tried stand up comedy or not, but if you haven't, you are definitely missing your calling. Bro, even if you are shy, I would look into writing comedy if I were you. You could probably make some serious money reading some of the stuff you come up with. I'm sure I'm not the only person here that finds your posts hilarious! Matter of fact, I've had conversations with other Brethren about how funny you are! If there were a Brethren Comedian of the Year award, you'd easily win!
Bob, I'm sure your wife didn't read this far down so I hope I posted enough "Bob the comedian" BS for you.....lol

Bob is indeed a certified nut... lol!
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2021, 03:46 PM   #30
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkief View Post
It does! Maybe I haven’t dialed the Yoder down that far in temp, but I’ve never seen that amount of smoke come from my Yoder yet. There are more experimenting in the future. But 2 rounded shape grease hangers would be off the charts awesome to see!![/QUOTE]

Yeah it was on the "LOW" setting which is 180* for the recteq. It smokes pretty good at that setting. Still pretty mild smoke flavor with 100% Hickory pellets from Lumberjack. But it'll turn out some delicious food! I usually kick the temp up higher once I get the bark/amount of smoke I want in whatever I'm cooking.

One thing I've mentioned before is that I tend to get acid reflux type issues when I cook long, low and slow over charcoal. I have no idea why because I've never had any acid reflux or any other stomach issues but if I cook something low and slow for over charcoal more than about 3 hours it gets me every time. I haven't experienced any of that with my pellet cooker. Even a 15 hr brisket cook...Maybe one of my best briskets and no stomach issues.
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco