MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-03-2020, 07:16 AM   #1
SO42N8
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Peter
Question Do you cover your pit?

Many of the great pics I've seen are of peoples' cookers that are either under some sort of cover or rolled out of their garage when it's time to cook. There are very few (though they do exist) of people who keep their pits exposed to the elements. I'm curious if people who can't protect their pits inside a garage or under a roof cover them with a tarp or custom cover.

I've finally bit the bullet and decided to place an order on an LSG 24x40 (though I may change to the 24x48 before they can start the build in 3 months) and I'm trying to decide if I should invest in a cover. I've seen some youtube videos (Babyback maniac in TX) that suggest the LSG paint is very resilient and can stand up to the elements. I live in Virginia where we get snow and rain on a regular basis.

If you have a pit that lives outside, do you cover it? If you have an LSG offset smoker, do you feel like the paint is hardy enough to withstand rain and snow or would you recommend a tarp or vinyl cover?

Thanks for any advice in advance!

Old 10-03-2020, 08:50 AM   #2
jzadski
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

I am lucky enough to have a garage addition and a rubbermaid plastic shed. Not sure if you could swing a small plastic shed to store it in or perhaps a lean-to

Old 10-03-2020, 08:54 AM   #3
TC Smoke & Que
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

I have always been of the mind set that the better you take care of your "Tools" the better they take care of you. I keep mine in a covered Patio here in Fl. because of high heat / sun, Humidity, and excessive amounts of rain No snow Thankfully!!, (but I grew up in Norfolk so I know).
My new to me B X 50 may be too big for the door, so I will build it it's own little storage unit after I am finished cleaning off the rust and re-painting, from the previous owner allowing the weather to get to it.
So yeah, if you can not put it "away" I would get the cover, worth it in the long run.
TC Smoke & Que is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2020, 09:02 AM   #4
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

Not covered often. I live at 3700ft in a historically arid environment climate wise. In fact in the edge of highest drought classification and expected to be included shortly. Mine are seldom covered. I have covers-and if I know it’s going to GO Postal ie:rain hail sleet snow gloom of night and all that I will cover them. I keep my Black Stone 17” Griddle top inside the SOB and base unit inside patio Rubbermaid shed. Perhaps I would do it differently in a different climate however the sentence usually starts,” I took off my cover open the lid and found mold”. I also leave vents cracked for airflow

Last edited by 16Adams; 10-21-2020 at 07:06 PM..
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 10-03-2020, 09:12 AM   #5
RemoGaggi
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : RemoGaggi

Any cover is better than no cover to protect your investment. Nothing defeats mother nature over time!

Old 10-03-2020, 09:22 AM   #6
mcyork28
Babbling Farker

Mine are typically covered or kept in the garage. The LSG covers are expensive. I had one of their 20x42s and I cheaped out and bought a motorcycle cover instead of the LSG cover. The one I bought turned out to not actually be waterproof. The outside was fine but places on the inside were rusting. I had to take a wire brush to remove it. If I were spending that kind of money I would make sure I had a cover of some sort.
Weber Kettle
Weber Genesis
Weber Smokey Joe

Passed on to a new home
Tejas 2040 Deluxe
Humphrey's Long Weekender
mcyork28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2020, 09:26 AM   #7
halfcocked
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : George

I got a cover for the OK Joe but am disappointed in that after about one year in the Florida sun/rain, etc. it has become very brittle and breaks/rips readily. I now have a cover with several gashes in it. Still use it though. I called Joe and was told that the result is to be expected (thank you very much).
halfcocked is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2020, 09:36 AM   #8
tom b

winter yes, summer not so much

Old 10-03-2020, 10:23 AM   #9
drunkenmeatfist
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Sammy

I have too many cookers and not enough space. I keep my Hunsaker in the garage and a couple of grills on a small porch that is mostly covered. I keep a couple of pellet grills strategically stored in an area of my house.

The only two that have to face the elements are a kettle and my Lang 36. I live in the same dry area as Adams so neither of them really look like they have been hurt by being uncovered outside. I only paid $400 for the Lang. I think if I spent the money on a new LSG I would probably make other arrangements for storage.
drunkenmeatfist is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2020, 10:37 AM   #10
Killa J
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfcocked View Post
I got a cover for the OK Joe but am disappointed in that after about one year in the Florida sun/rain, etc. it has become very brittle and breaks/rips readily. I now have a cover with several gashes in it. Still use it though. I called Joe and was told that the result is to be expected (thank you very much).
That’s happened to all of my covers in Louisiana too. A real pain in the butt. Ruined my Chargiller Akorn - it got brittle and had a small hidden tear where I couldn’t see it. Over the winter when it didn’t get used for a long time, it rained and filled the bottom section with water. Rusted the bottom part out, could no longer control temperatures.
Killa J is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2020, 10:40 AM   #11
104timberwolf
Full Fledged Farker

I just received my custom made cover for my Assassin GF17 from The Cover Store and I’m pleased with it. Uploaded the measurements, chose color and material. I opted for the lightest and least expensive material, as my 17 is stored in the garage.

https://www.the-cover-store.com/
104timberwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2020, 10:45 AM   #12
ssv3

Name/Nickname : Sako

Uncovered. Especially my LSG offset. At first I covered but I had more problems with it covered with condensation or moisture being trapped under the cover and causing rust. I haven't covered in years and have zero issues. I know Chris puts 3-4 coats of paint on the LSG's and it shows I have no rust issues other than the firebox of course.

Here she is at 5 years old when I repainted the firebox last year. 6 years old now and looks good as new

After the firebox repaint

Literally day after the firebox repaint Just covered the fb section since paint was new. Otherwise it stays under storms like this with no issues.

Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)

Last edited by ssv3; 10-03-2020 at 11:00 AM..
ssv3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2020, 12:50 PM   #13
Speeed
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Speed

My Rec Tec, Primo and Blackstone are all covered. My LSG however lives outside uncovered.
I wipe it down every once in a while with oil and water. Its been outside exposed to the elements for over a year now without any issue. light rust on some other wear areas like the door hinges but nothing I'm worried about.

I do not cover it (despite buying the $200+ fitted cover) because I do not want the cover retaining moisture and rusting my smoker.

Old 10-03-2020, 01:03 PM   #14
jham0077
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : jham0077

Covered for sure in the Florida sun. The CampChef cover for my flattop barely lasted a year. I have covers from https://www.the-cover-store.com/ . They seem to be pretty good. My Weber cover is almost 4 years old, UDS cover about 3, and recently replaced the flattop cover with one from there. And I got a generator cover from there too, but it's in the garage away from the sun. Got it to keep the dust off it. We'll see how long the Recteq cover last.
RecTeq 590 - Woodhouse
XL Big Green Egg(lite basket case, bringing it back)
jham0077 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-03-2020, 01:08 PM   #15
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Uncovered here.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Tags
lone star grillz offset, LSG, maintenance