BBQ Coconut Shrimp and Andouille

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
The planned dinner tonight was to include Shrimp, Andouille sausage and rice or beans, semi-Jambalaya but not quite. Plans changed and the shrimp turned into BBQ Coconut Shrimp with the sausage and rice as sides. Last minute changes sometimes work out well. Nothing like a craving for Coconut Shrimp to alter dinner plans. :becky:

The breading stations: Flour, Beer Batter, Coconut, a pound of 16/20 Shrimp -

K3Mf0Ui.jpg

All set and ready for a brief time in the fridge -

LrfYpHe.jpg

I had planned to make this on the Blackstone but was running low on propane so the Lodge Pizza pan on the Goldens' will do nicely -

P1rpcC7.jpg

After grilling for a few minutes on both sides, it's tails up -

j6TAvkD.jpg

Ready for plating -

9O9OQZt.jpg

Dinner is served -

VyFAAAI.jpg

VmQkaJ0.jpg

Almost forgot the Pineapple Mango Salsa -

FrRCLlf.jpg

This was amazingly quick and easy to prepare.

Grilling it on in a thin layer of oil on the Lodge pizza pan was a lot better than losing coconut through the grates. I could have shallow fried it in a skillet but this turned out quite well. And of course deep frying could have been an option, but I dislike doing so.

The coconut toasted up with a nice crunch and the flavors were excellent. Although I've prepared something similar before, this one's a keeper.

Thanks for checking out tonight's dinner!

Regards,
-lunchman

THAT is a beautiful cook!!!

Well done!

Thanks all.

The question came up yesterday when reviewing my recipe and a few others online to make sure I wasn't omitting something - unsweetened or sweetened coconut? I had some sweetened that I'd used in holiday baking, but a few recipes called for unsweetened. Since I needed other items, off to the market for a bag of Bob's Red Mill unsweetened.

When putting this together my wife noticed the coconut was unsweetened and wasn't sure it would be the same as previous cooks I've done with sweetened. So I added a touch of powdered sugar just to be safe. :-D

It turns out that I could tell the difference, preferring the sweetened coconut.

Just wondering what others have used when you make this dish.

Another winner, Dom!

What brand of andouille did you use? Thanks.

That would be a challenge. Maybe I'll start slow with Chef John's bunny bread (recent YouTube video).

Back