MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:19 AM   #16
Lone-BBQ
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Thanks for all the great posts guys, I found some scraps that I can use for the stack and the baffle mods and am really thinking that the charcoal basket is a really good idea for less maintenance on long cooks.
I should have a fun weekend!

Old 04-01-2010, 11:28 AM   #17
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Nice, I want one.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2010, 11:44 AM   #18
Konrad_Haskins
Knows what a fatty is.

That brings back memories. I bought my first real pit smoker a NB Cattleman from Home Depot. Smoker mods has been the number one most hit page on our website since 2002.

http://www.bbqinstitute.com/SmokerModifications.pdf is very specific to what you have
http://www.bbqinstitute.com/smokermods.htm more general stuff

Shoot me a PM if you have questions.
Konrad_Haskins is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-01-2010, 11:55 AM   #19
Lone-BBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartstop View Post
I don't want to rub it in (OK just a little) but I got mine given to me. Your handles look like they're about the same shape mine were in. They will crumble soon. I had some left-over 2X2 CCA deck balusters that I cut down to make replacements. I sanded the edges to round them, it worked pretty good.

Compared to some of the junk offset smokers being sold today, $50 is a steal. My buddy just spent $250 on one from Sams (AKA China), that's stamped from sheetmetal. He'll be replacing it in 2 - 3 years I'm sure. Our NB's should last for decades.

Be sure and post some pics of the maiden voyage. This is the only one I have of mine.

Bartstop
I gotta do that shelf; that you have your charcoal chimney on. That will end up saving my deck in the summer. Right now I put mine in an old fire pit I keep by the Q. Dangerous!
Will do on the maiden voyage, I am thinking Ribs.
J

Last edited by Lone-BBQ; 04-01-2010 at 12:21 PM..
Lone-BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2010, 02:01 AM   #20
Bartstop
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone-BBQ View Post
I gotta do that shelf; that you have your charcoal chimney on. That will end up saving my deck in the summer. Right now I put mine in an old fire pit I keep by the Q. Dangerous!
Will do on the maiden voyage, I am thinking Ribs.
J
I noticed yours didn't have that shelf. Slightly different model maybe?

Anyways, one thing you'll notice is that you can't put your meat anywhere near the firebox, it get's way too much heat on that side. I'm going to do the baffle described in the PDF posted above. Hopefully that will give me a little more useable cooking surface.

It doesn't seem like the other 2 mods (chimney and thermometer) would make much difference.

Anyhow, let us know how the ribs turn out.

Bartstop
Bartstop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2010, 04:03 AM   #21
RoyzRoyz
Found some matches.

Congratz with your new score!

Old 04-03-2010, 04:25 PM   #22
Nick@ParkAQ
Full Fledged Farker

Lovely. I'm sure you'll enjoy. I've had mine for 10 years or so and found that the only mod I needed was the tray but seems like yours has one already. Other than that its been a very steady and reliable smoker from butts to ribs to chicken to smoked jerky. May it be low and slow and long lasting.

Old 04-03-2010, 05:00 PM   #23
denverdanchiefsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town View Post
What you have there is similar to my offset. Here is a link for mods that will make it a great cooker! Have fun... Is that a New Braunfels? I'd bet a search of the forums will get you help also.

http://www.deejayssmokepit.net/Downl...GrilleMods.pdf
Thanks for the link - I have a NB also.
denverdanchiefsfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2010, 10:43 AM   #24
Lone-BBQ

So, I had a pretty rainy weekend but got a chance to use the new Q. I did some short ribs with a cherry balsamic glaze and sauce. The temps were still off from one side to the other but I think with some tweaking I can dial it in.
Meat was still really good!
J

Old 04-06-2010, 04:46 PM   #25
Nick@ParkAQ
Full Fledged Farker

cool. Send pics

Old 04-06-2010, 05:25 PM   #26
Derek
is Blowin Smoke!

Love your new Braunfels.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2010, 05:49 PM   #27
Nick@ParkAQ
Full Fledged Farker

I do and use it a lot. Here's Easter goodness

Old 04-06-2010, 06:00 PM   #28
bam
is One Chatty Farker

I got one and it made me buy a wsm. After I got the wsm I learned about the mods. With the charcoal ring from wsm works great. Looks like you need a temp gauge (tel-tru).
bam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2010, 06:25 PM   #29
Nick@ParkAQ
Full Fledged Farker

The temp gauge on my NB is on the outside of the chamber see prior picks. I don't use temp gauges on the meat - I don't subscribe to that practice. I like parked WSMs too as they seem to be easier to consistently put out goodness. Truth is... you will find me near anything that smokes grills and is parked... I found that each smoker/grill has its own learning curve and versatility comes from practice so I aim to practice.... again.... tomorrow...... as the song says..... "I got my smoke On.. I got my smoke On!""

Old 05-04-2010, 12:22 AM   #30
Lone-BBQ

Default Finally some mod pics

I Finally have these mod pics to show. I added some thermostats at grate level.
I think they look awesome, now to use them!!

photo 2.jpg

photo 4-1.jpg

Tags
new bbq, offset smoker