High Plains Brisket Shenanigans w/ Pr0n!

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Well, here goes nothing. It's been over a year since I last tried a whole packer brisket. I did some freezer clean-out, and found a 17lb monster from the last $1.77/lb sale at Albertsons back in 2018. It defrosted in the garage fridge for a few days, and today's the day of reckoning.

I trimmed her up and cut out/off all the hard fat (3-4 lbs worth... sheesh). Hit her with some Sucklebusters Hoochie Mama, and fired up the long-ignored offset.

Meanwhile, CINCHOUSE whipped up some of her famous Cauliflower "Mac & Cheese" - Recipe at the link.

tRnsSjfl.jpg

yao08Hel.jpg

qLoYlCMl.jpg

Added the pan to the smoker to join the brisket.

jhRPbprl.jpg

After a couple of hours, the cauliflower was done, and the brisket was ready for a wrap.

ElzFydVl.jpg

Here's where I get nervous. I haven't had a brisket go well in a LONG time... but it really probed nicely all across the flat/point line (avocado-like drag on the skewer). So I pulled it and it's resting on a sheet pan in the oven with the cauliflower. I must admit that it was nice and floppy when I picked it up, so that's a good sign.

Time to whip up some "mop sauce" that CINCHOUSE likes so much... just some apple cider, apple cider vinegar, bourbon, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, and some rub.... heated a bit, then cooled for serving.

I'm pretty sure we have some of Wampus' Peach & Bourbon Beans to heat up, as well. :shock:

More to follow.

Looking good! I've heard rave reviews about the cauliflower dish - thanks for the link 'cause I've been wanting to get that in my life!

Looking good on the brisket too! I'me gonna stick one of those in the WSM tonight.

Looks great, thanks for posting the cauliflower recipe, going back on Keto and need more like this!

Thanks,
Greg

Glad to see that you and I had the same idea about dinner. You will be eating well out west!!

Going out on a limb here but guessing the cauliflower is the pasta in the caulimacncheese.Nothing wrong with that,I make a similar version I call cauliflower au gratin.That brisket is lookin GOOD!

Thanks, guys. It was really nice to finally get this right.

Here's the brisket as she came out from her rest.

KMpmSVNh.jpg

I cut a few slices together, then separated the flat and point, and sliced some more.

Hf6CIHXh.jpg

Here's a quick plated shot with the cauliflower "mac & cheese," Wampus' Peach Bourbon Beans, and the brisket (with a bit of Wicken Yanks Mop Sauce over the top to cut some richness).

T3jiYG5h.jpg

I sincerely appreciate all the information that helped me finally get a brisket right. It was much easier and faster than I've ever done it before. The Boss really enjoyed the bark from the Hoochie Mama, and I think the lower sugar content vs. the Adkins was an improvement with similar flavor.

Thanks for stopping by. Thin blue and kind regards.

Going out on a limb here but guessing the cauliflower is the pasta in the caulimacncheese.

Bingo, Hoss.

I must admit being a skeptic at first, but it really IS good. Putting it in the smoker (with no foil or anything on top) for a couple of hours just takes it to a whole new level.

It's become a family favorite, and an easy way to get more veg into the munchkin.

The brisket looks like it came out perfect! Did you end up likeing how it turned out?

I really did, Scott. Brisket has been my nemesis since we left the UK in '13 (when I had an excellent result from an incredibly cheap offset running charcoal and chunks of all things :shock: :roll: :tsk:).

Most importantly, thank you for taking the risk, or contribution to bbq of posting a cook of a year old brisket. I'm sure the entire thing wasn't perfect, but that is something I long overlooked when thinking about how to cook and serve brisket.

The cutter at the resteraunt has the option of culling imperfect slices for use in whatever, later.

Most of us rednecks just cook our brisket, trying to make it come about as evenly as possible, the plate the whole thing.

Back