• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Chili Help?

Swine Spectator

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Reaction score
I got roped into entering a Chili Cook-off in two weeks to benefit local Law Enforcement.

I have made chili, but I am no expert. I do not have a set recipe. Are there any brethren willing to share some tips so I can have a fighting chance (not asking for your secret recipes)?

David

Someone asked a similar question probably 2-3 weeks afo, might want to look for that thread if you havent done so already. A brethern posted a green chili on there that looked really good, and i want to try that one sometime soon... We don't do a lot of chili, especially enough to be able to offer advice. I'll see if i can find the other thread, cant remember if i saved the freen chili recipe anyway!

Below is a basic recipe I've been using for years. Never comes out precisely the same because it's based on fresh peppers and they vary a lot. Fresh peppers are best. I like a variety of them in chili...lends a balance. Taste test each variety for flavor and heat just to see what you're dealing with. They're all different. Not just by type of pepper, but where/when they were grown.

Ingredients:
2# ground chuck
2# ground pork
2 tbl olive oil
½ cup red wine
2 cups beef stock
2 cans crushed or diced tomatoes (28 oz)
1 can tomato paste (6 oz)
2 Anaheim peppers (seed & fine chop all peppers)
6 jalapeno peppers
2 Serrano peppers
2 red finger peppers
2-3 large white onions (medium-fine chop)
8 large cloves garlic (minced)
½ tsp red chili flakes
2 tbl dried oregano
2 tbl dried basil
2 tbl ground cumin
1 tbl gray sea salt
2 cans red kidney beans (19 oz, rinsed)
2 cans black beans (19 oz, rinsed)

Very simple cook:
Brown meat in olive oil, drain. Add remaining ingredients and simmer covered 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Sometimes wait an hour before adding the beans.

Modify the recipe depending on what peppers are at the store...sometimes throw a habanero in. Usually double or triple the recipe. The wide range of peppers adds color, as well as different heats and flavors. Don't sauté them because that causes them to lose both color and a bit of crunch. Same with the onions and garlic. This chili has character.

Usually toast whole cumin seeds and grind them up with a mortar & pestle. Toasting definitely releases more fragrance and flavor.

Prefer soaking dried beans overnight and cooking them separately but canned work fine.

You can substitute ale or stout for the wine but I don't recommend that unless the entire batch will be consumed within 2 days. There's something about beer that makes chili get skanky pretty quick.

The 4 important questions are:

1. What are the rules?
2. Who are the judges? (certified, celebrity*, or people's choice) *celebrity judges would be like the fire chief, a disc jockey, the food editor from the newspaper etc.
3. How many teams will be competing?
4. What is the general profile of chile in your area?

Since it's a community event for Law enforcement, I suspect there will be quite a few entries and judging will be people's choice in which case the portions will be small and people will be taking one or two bites, placing their vote.... then grazing. You goal is not to offend anyone, like turning in something super hot and spicy.... but at the same time having something flavorful enough to get the judges attention in one bite. If allowed, you could have condiments like several cheeses, mexi-crema, raw onions etc. so people can customize their bowl. You might consider decorating your cooking area and serving table. At two of out biggest chile cook-offs there are teams that dress in costumes.

Cruise through some of these WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP cook-off recipes for ideas.

Just about every chili recipe seems to be universally liked if there is a bit of sweetness to balance the flavors, a little brown sugar and/or molasses does a lot to improve the overall flavor.

Just about every chili recipe seems to be universally liked if there is a bit of sweetness to balance the flavors, a little brown sugar and/or molasses does a lot to improve the overall flavor.
I respectfully disagree with adding any type of sugar to chili. Same goes for spaghetti sauce. Onions add just the right amount sugar to both.

My church growing up had an annual chili cook off where bribes were encouraged (and added to the take for the youth group). I have placed high with a Wendy's Chili clone, but I prefer something more unique for myself.

I once got "volunteered" for a contest that I did not want to go to. So I bought canned chili from the grocery store, just to meet my commitment. Got third place... :-o

I guess they spend a lot of money on taste testing for the masses.

Haha. That's hilarious

I once got "volunteered" for a contest that I did not want to go to. So I bought canned chili from the grocery store, just to meet my commitment. Got third place... :-o

I guess they spend a lot of money on taste testing for the masses.

Heheheee. This is why you need to know who is judging and what the regional tastes are. I sent Mrs ~t~ green chile recipe to a friend in Pennsylvania to use in his church cook-off recommending he tone the peppers way down. He confessed they don't even call it green chili, but "pork chili", and some people were hinky just from the color.

I respectfully disagree with adding any type of sugar to chili. Same goes for spaghetti sauce. Onions add just the right amount sugar to both.

Definitely no added sugars to my Sunday Gravy however a proper balance of acid will bring the sweetness out in the tomatoes.

However a good blend of chili powders and cumin does IMO benefit from the richness of molasses or a bit of dark brown sugar, keep in mind the amount is minimal and must be adjusted appropriately for each batch of chili (definitely no white sugar)...:grin:

Back