Might be last time buy.....

Smokin D@wg@77

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Thermoworks products , im sure some of you guys got same email few weeks back saying 30% off signals open box items temp controllers. Well i was in market for one so i bite the hook. So bought on 9/19 , it arrives 5 days later not bad. So get home excited to play with new toy , unboxed it all looked good, go to get it hooked up ...cant APP is tells me this serial # belongs to another user. So get on phone blah blah they answer really quick get me to tech dep, they say oh this wont take long our mistake this should been removed before shipping.

Get that part done , now im free to use this signals under my name. Go to hook up billows control fan well i must do firmware update now for this to work:mmph:, so try to complete that ..no go signals litterly shuts down just shows dashes on screen. Call em back , oh yea it supposed show those dashes till update is complete , well its been 15 min , oh no it shouldn't take more than 2 min. They walk me through numerous steps restart it , rebot it , do this to ypur phone do this try this.

Well after almost 2 hours tech says call back tomorrow , ill get with manager ive never experienced this kind of problem , call back after work next day go through half of same steps with manager on phone another almost hour on phone , just to say at end well you need send it back to us , we will do firmware update here send back to you...

Use there prepaid UPS took 8 days to get from Florida to Utah ! So it gets there they send me email that its "fixed" and there sending back to me ....so now been 20 days since i bought it ! Wife text me at work your package has arrived ...oh boy finally here right , head home so confident its going to work put charcoal in WSM hook all up...GUESS WHAT SAME FREAKING PROBLEM !!!! Go to hook up to app all dashes across the screen its trying to update again.

Call again , not near as nice as before because im just over it. No one can understand how this can be , hour on phone again come to the conclusion just need send back AGAIN ! So now its on its way back for 2nd time. Email them asking whay is this reply i get is best they can think of its my phone... all though we tried all 5 PHONES IN MY HOUSE THE 1ST NIGHT trying get it to update. I ask will i get any compensation for all this hassle ....no reply ....ive emailed sales , tech dept , customer service ....no reply

So once this is resolved if ever resolved ....im prob done with thermoworks cant believe company like this , being this way

No excuse for that. Looks like they shipped you one that was returned.

Yea i bought open box item , but with full warranty as a new one. I just cant believe all can say is well prob your phone ....

Doesn’t matter how good their product is if their customer service sucks.

My Gateway still does not work even after I sent it back to Thermoworks which had it for over two weeks. They tested it and said it worked for them. I get it back and it still will not hook up to my Wifi or to my Smoke alarm. I probably won't be buying anymore Thermoworks products either.

May I suggest you guys try Inkbird products. I don't know about their customer service but I like their products. I have not needed their customer service.
They use bluetooth to connect. Much simpler. Surprisingly they get a much better range then advertised.

By now you would think they would have stopped the ping-pong and just send a new, unopened replacement.
Maybe it was an open boxed unit because the Chinese used defective parts, and the previous owner could not get it to work either?
I've had plenty of experience with that. Not with ThermoWorks, but with Chinese electronics.
My TP-08 has worked great from day one.

Chinese Electronics = As good as, usually is not. Crappy components are still crappy components.
And it damages good reputations.

sure seems like these stories keep coming. Never needed to use their customer service but their seems to be a common narrative here

Tracking says due to arrive back there Thursday , another 7 day trip !! through UPS have no idea why takes 7 days , Also emailed them said i need it back by weekend , they said they would pay for overnight shipping to have it to me by this weekend ....will see, update when and if it works this time ...we will have hit 1 month since purchase date IF it arrives Friday....STILL UNREAL shouldn't be like this

I don't know what has happened to Thermoworks.

They used to be very well respected for their products and customer service.

Seems as though in the past couple of years the quality of the products have dipped and customer service is in the chitter. Sad. Very sad.

I had a similar experience with a thermapen that was faulty. After 3 months, they finally refunded my money. I bought a Lavatools Javelin and never looked back. In my experience equal quality to the thermapen and half the price.

I don't know what has happened to Thermoworks.

They used to be very well respected for their products and customer service.

Seems as though in the past couple of years the quality of the products have dipped and customer service is in the chitter. Sad. Very sad.

I know exactly what happened : they bit off a bit more than they could chew by getting into the router / app / wifi department. My Dad just retired after 30+ years STS (Systems Technology Support) and the stories he tells me about his frustration with routers and networking are hilarious. Stuff will work perfectly for 10 hours and then bam : stop working altogether for no apparent reason.

Grilla Grills has been pushing back against adding Wi-Fi to their smokers because of these types of reasons. Reality is that a lot of people have no idea what they are doing and it's not their fault as it can be extremely complicated.

Imagine trying to troubleshoot this stuff over the phone when people can't even tell you if they're using Android or iOS. haha I am not saying that's the problem in this instance with SmokeDawg, but instead just mentioning that maybe all this extended stuff isn't worth it. Themoworks worked perfectly when it was just the Smoke and had its own receiver.

I know exactly what happened : they bit off a bit more than they could chew by getting into the router / app / wifi department. My Dad just retired after 30+ years STS (Systems Technology Support) and the stories he tells me about his frustration with routers and networking are hilarious. Stuff will work perfectly for 10 hours and then bam : stop working altogether for no apparent reason.

Grilla Grills has been pushing back against adding Wi-Fi to their smokers because of these types of reasons. Reality is that a lot of people have no idea what they are doing and it's not their fault as it can be extremely complicated.

Imagine trying to troubleshoot this stuff over the phone when people can't even tell you if they're using Android or iOS. haha I am not saying that's the problem in this instance with SmokeDawg, but instead just mentioning that maybe all this extended stuff isn't worth it. Themoworks worked perfectly when it was just the Smoke and had its own receiver.

Your right on money i think... They were almost saying that over the phone "we never seen this problem before " , " can hold please while i ask another tech " , " can you call back tomorrow while we research this " .....On and On basiclly saying ....WE DONT KNOW whats going on

Tracking says due to arrive back there Thursday , another 7 day trip !! through UPS have no idea why takes 7 days , Also emailed them said i need it back by weekend , they said they would pay for overnight shipping to have it to me by this weekend ....will see, update when and if it works this time ...we will have hit 1 month since purchase date IF it arrives Friday....STILL UNREAL shouldn't be like this

In my experience (My wife would point out considerable experience) FedEx has the slowest shipping, with UPS coming in next.
Fastest has always been USPS. And often after FedEx has bumbled and fumbled a package along, they give it to the USPS and it arrives quickly.

But in the world of the Internet, these dings have to be avoided at all costs.
Because they become the death knell for a business.

Back