MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old Yesterday, 03:45 PM   #1
BBQscott
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Scott
Default Oaklahoma Joe Highland

Hey Brothers I wanted to get your opinion on this... I’m beginning to save up on getting a nice offset stick burner. I’ve been looking at JH smokers around the L.A area. Looking at the prices ( which are very fair) its going to be quite some time before I get to place my order (Probably 2 years). Here’s the thing, Lowes has the Highland on sale atm for $270. I know they are COS cookers but I figure with a couple mods it would hold me over for the next few years while I save up for a real offset. My wife thinks I should just continue to save and save, but the itch is hard to bare... What are your guys opinions?
BBQscott is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old Yesterday, 03:52 PM   #2
BillN
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Bill

A lot of good Que comes off the Oklahoma Joe's, sounds like a good plan.

Old Yesterday, 04:02 PM   #3
SmokyDick
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Rich

Don't go overboard with mods, unless there's extreme issues it will run fine stock and you'll just get annoyed trying to make it perfect.

Throw it together and season it and do a few cheap cooks before you bother investing into mods just because people on the internet say you need to.
SmokyDick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Yesterday, 04:06 PM   #4
Pulmah Finger
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Mike

I have the very unit you are speaking about. It is very serviceable and at a great price.

I bought it because i had moved into a new house and hadnt built the outdoor kitchen yet so i wanted something that i could grill with and smoke occassionally. I now have a gasser that I use for the grilling so the OK Joe has been rendered to smoker only.

Think of it like training wheels on a bike, you got to start somewhere and learn a little bit first.

I have done ribs, turkey, pork butt, and brisket. I am still learning and will one day get a "nice" smoker, but i have other priorities first.
Pulmah Finger is online now   Reply With Quote

Old Yesterday, 04:16 PM   #5
BBQscott
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Scott

The only mods I was thinking about is getting a high temp gasket for leaks and maybe have my neighbor cut me some pieces of metal for tuning plates. Other then that I don’t think it needs much. I think by using this smoker it will make me appreciate the other one that much more...
BBQscott is online now   Reply With Quote

Old Yesterday, 05:03 PM   #6
ToOTHroTT
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I have one and used it for about 2 years before I ordered my new LSG. The OK Joe works good and I have made sum great food. The metal is a little thin but if your in cali like me your fine. I used mine with mostly charcoal and wood chunks not strait wood burner because I was afraid the fire box would burn out. Your plan is about the same as mine was. I got my OK Joe to see if I would like smoking and found I enjoyed it and wanted to move to a high end stickburner so I ordered the LSG. The OK Joe will help in learning for when you do step up. As for the mods all I did was the high temp silicone and the fire tape. I say go buy it you will enjoy it!!!!
ToOTHroTT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Yesterday, 05:03 PM   #7
angryelfFan
is one Smokin' Farker

I found a used OK Joe to learn on before I found a used Shirley. It worked out great for me. I absolutely say go for it. Also, I agree with using it a few times to see which if any mods you want to do.
Weber Smokey Mtn 18.5"
Weber Master Touch 22.5"
Humphrey's Battle Box
Shirley 24 x 50 Cabinet Model
angryelfFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Yesterday, 05:22 PM   #8
ColoradoSmoke
Full Fledged Farker

Other options: Brazos or Pecos - bit more money but thicker steel

https://www.academy.com/shop/browse/...mokers/smokers

Old Yesterday, 06:33 PM   #9
Tannhauser42
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Scott, which Highland are you looking at? The standard one, or the reverse flow version?
Tannhauser42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Yesterday, 06:44 PM   #10
16Adams

Even if you never master the art of the 12 hour brisket you can cook chickens turkeys pig parts and most of all fattys in reasonable time frames. You can also grill reverse grill bake and have a ton of fun. Many years of fun under 3 Benjs. Hell Yea. Buy the Bride something nice and go get your cooker.

Previously Owned OG-PBC, BGE-Mini,New Braunfels Black Diamond,Tiernan SOB 24&48, Akorn, 2 WSM 18.5, 3 Jumbo Joes, Weber Kettle 18&22, Blackstone and others.
16Adams is online now   Reply With Quote

Old Yesterday, 07:00 PM   #11
smoke ninja

while serviceable I'd go a bit bigger if you can. a budget of $500 will get you there. who knows, you may decide its enough smoker and you can save the money for a future cooker.

I only say this because I got the longhorn (the larger ok joe) and it has been good to me. I bought it used for $250 as my starter offset. I have used it for years and would only upgrade for what I consider my dream smoker.

Help us raise funds to feed our Veterans and Homeless HERE

www.gofundme.com/2s8fv5qs
smoke ninja is online now   Reply With Quote

Old Yesterday, 07:04 PM   #12
West River BBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

I say go for it. I had one and learned a lot about how things work in a smoker. It leaked a bit but I didn't change anything. Because I live in a cold climate, it went through a lot of fuel - I was using charcoal and wood. Mine had a worthless temp gauge, so you might want to invest in a thermometer with probes. After I bought an insulated smoker I sold the Ok Joe for about 2/3rds of what I got it for.
West River BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Yesterday, 07:34 PM   #13
G'Daddy
Full Fledged Farker

GO FOR IT!!!
Most people started off with a PITA - COS and still fell in love with smoking. So, go for it.

Old Yesterday, 07:49 PM   #14
Mikhail
is One Chatty Farker

The only caveat I would offer is it is not a stick burner, and I get the impression that is what you want. Do you have a good charcoal grill you can smoke with now? A Weber Kettle or a PK? My point is you can smoke some damn good food with either and then when you get your dream stick burner you still have a great charcoal grill. With the Highland you have only a smoker you may want to get rid of. You will learn just as much about smoking meat too.

PK Classic Grill
Broil King Signet 320 Propane
Good One Open Range over & under
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Yesterday, 08:12 PM   #15
weave1499
Knows what a fatty is.

Do it. I had a COS for 10 years. Didn’t even realize there were mods to make or that the better pits were even available for the first 3 or 4 years. Loved it, learned a ton, and fed a whole bunch of really good food to a whole bunch of people. It will make your wait easier, and you’ll appreciate your new pit even more when you get it.
2 Daughters who love ribs
weave1499 is offline   Reply With Quote