• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

The Lure Of The Offset Smoker

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Walked into Walmart garden center to buy some mesquite chunks. There sat a NIB unopened Oklahoma Joe Highland discounted to $125. Stared at it, thought about it- left. Sitting in my easy chair reading Holy Smoke random pages I Youtubed the OJ-H. Anyway decided I could easily have $125+tax of fun. I’ve said before outside of a pit nothing screams bbq like an offset smoker burping TBS.

Went back, was gone.

Good.

not a fan of the highland, too small. the hotspot is almost half the cook chamber. the longhorn is better but retails for $550.

besides you have a stick burner, they are just really really tiny splits made of saw dust

You snooze, you win...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

According to brickseek they’re discounted quite a few locations. I’m good that it was gone. The YouTube vid showed how to seal it up and work more efficiently- tuning plates using existing grates and HD aluminum foil. It wasn’t going to be for long cooks- more like functional statuary that produces food. A chicken-a casserole-SPAM-garlic; the usual short term suspects. Here’s SKU info if anyone is interested

Oklahoma Joe Highland 879 sq in Smoker
MSRP: $288
SKU: 33605961

I've got the Highland. I do want something bigger but this thing works just fine. I used a few ceramic tiles as tuning plates. I get even temps across the entire chamber. I use charcoal and wood chunks mostly. I'd have loved to get that deal. I paid $300 and I'm happy with that.

I liked my offset when I had it- a Meadowcreek 120 Cant stay up at night like I use too I am happy with my Egg

I picked up my OK Joe Highland the same way....deep discounted to $140. Added a few mods and it produces some pretty good food which the family loves. Very happy with mine.

A COS in a back yard can be one of two things:

A well-taken care of tool whose owner knows and has mastered its limitations to turn out envy inducing bbq- the toast of the neighborhood

Or a monument to a once aspiring pit master who has given the hell up and now dumps charcoal into the bottom of the cook chamber for overcooked burgers, hot dogs and his signature burnt ass cheap sirloin that the dog won't even eat.

I'd love to have one to see what mine shows me to be... one day maybe.

"Or a monument to a once aspiring pit master who has given the hell up and now dumps charcoal into the bottom of the cook chamber for overcooked burgers, hot dogs and his signature burnt ass cheap sirloin that the dog won't even eat."

That's kind of what became of my cheapo offset but I did some awesome grilling in the main chamber until I burnt it out. I had a few good pork butt and chuck roast low and slow cooks but it was way, way too hard.

I wish the COS had a bit less "cheap" - AND in the instruction manual, it had a few websites (this one for example) that could help you make the best of your purchase. I would have zero reservations about buying even a Highland using what I learned off this fine site. The Highland IS smaller than I'd like- but I could run it and be happy with the food that came off it.

I wish the COS had a bit less "cheap" - AND in the instruction manual, it had a few websites (this one for example) that could help you make the best of your purchase. I would have zero reservations about buying even a Highland using what I learned off this fine site. The Highland IS smaller than I'd like- but I could run it and be happy with the food that came off it.

You already gots a stick burner your buddy at work made.........

A COS in a back yard can be one of two things:

A well-taken care of tool whose owner knows and has mastered its limitations to turn out envy inducing bbq- the toast of the neighborhood

Or a monument to a once aspiring pit master who has given the hell up and now dumps charcoal into the bottom of the cook chamber for overcooked burgers, hot dogs and his signature burnt ass cheap sirloin that the dog won't even eat.

I'd love to have one to see what mine shows me to be... one day maybe.

Lol...too funny!

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

"You already gots a stick burner your buddy at work made........."

yep... but it's not an offset - Adam16 says there's a difference :grin:

(disclaimer, I enjoy my upright- now that I'm using the right fuel. I'd lurve to try something different- even if it's not "better" in any demonstrable way)

I know. It’s probably the one cooker that kicked my butt the hardest. I’d have to pay attention. Like a good Willie Nelson song, “I let my mind wander”

I love the concept of the offset but I am digging the vertical smokers more. I also live in a very cold place, I would be blowing through wood if it wasn't insulated.

Soooo, this morning my Walmart had two of those smokers in the vestibule tagged at 109.99. I am SO tempted, but keep thinking about the guys who write books ( Meat head and Aaron Franklin, notably ) who say that the metal in those cheapies is so thin that temperature control is very difficult.

It is a good deal, but, IF it becomes something that isn't useful, I'll have spent $110 for a lawn ornament.

What say you all?

Soooo, this morning my Walmart had two of those smokers in the vestibule tagged at 109.99. I am SO tempted, but keep thinking about the guys who write books ( Meat head and Aaron Franklin, notably ) who say that the metal in those cheapies is so thin that temperature control is very difficult.

It is a good deal, but, IF it becomes something that isn't useful, I'll have spent $110 for a lawn ornament.

What say you all?

that's a good price.

Back