Dumb friends that want to cook like you?

RemoGaggi

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Just a little venting here, but just wondering if you've got good friends that are completely clueless as to smoking/grilling, that want to produce great food like you, but never listen to any advice/tips you give them nor do they work at learning.

One of my best friends is a licensed civil engineer. I've known him since we were in high school (33 years). He wants to cook brisket and ribs like me. Last year he buys himself a 14" Smokey Mountain. He used it maybe twice last year (summer 2016) and each time he calls me asking me how to light the charcoal. Yesterday, he texts me asking if the vents need to be opened or closed when lighting. Really? I should have told him "closed" and let him fumble around it until he figured it out. But I went over the starting procedure again, like a good friend would.

He calls me this afternoon at 1pm, all excited about just buying a brisket and he's going home to smoke it. I asked him how big is the brisket and he says 5#. (Turns out he bought just a flat). He keeps asking me how long and what temp to cook at and I swear I've told him (and all my friends) that its difficult to cook brisket to a certain temp, every piece of meat is different, etc. They never listen and its frustrating to repeat myself about basic techniques. They all want treat the meat, whether it's ribs or brisket, like a meatloaf that they can bake for an hour.

I tell my friend that it's already 1pm (he's not even home from the store yet) and that he really needed to start the meat earlier and give it time to rest. But, nope, he insists that it will be done by dinner. He texts me at 1:30pm that it's in the smoker. I told him good luck with that. At least he got the fire started....

Send them to Amazingribs.com to read. Lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OhMyFriggunGoodness!!! This is my dear friend Matt! I love him to death, but I want to strangle him when he calls/texts several times a year, asking the SAME. FARKING. QUESTIONS. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME!!!! You literally had me ROLLING with sympathetic laughter from this thread! I read the thread title to my wife, and she exclaimed "MATT"!!!

EDIT TO ADD; Matt in Madison, not Sauk! Fantomlord is a BBQ Jedi!

My friends know better than trying to smoke anything.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Think Beentown is on the right track. If he's an engineer send him to a site (maybe one with graphs and charts lol) that he can read and reference. Then he can ask you the questions that the site doesn't answer.

Well, at least he respects your knowledge. Tell him each time he calls he is charged a sixer of your favorite brew!!! Consulting Fee!!!!!

And if he decided not to listen, please have him take pics along the way for my enjoyment... I mean his education :laugh:

Then he'll take it seriously, read up/listen and make a brisket he can be real proud of

Most of my friends want to cook like me, but they are unwilling to put in the time or effort needed. I let them cook their one brisket or rack of ribs every year and take a polite bite, but just one!

I usually lose people when they are at our house eating dinner and I tell them I was up at 3 am to put the brisket on that they are eating.

Usually that’s enough to turn people away

I have a nephew like that. He asks me how to cook something, then he tells me how HE is going to do it. Yet, he says he's asking because he really likes the way mine comes out. ?????

Just send him to YouTube. It will save you the aggravation and he may actually pay attention to the videos, especially when they are all pretty much the same procedure.

Now he just texted, "What do you do with the smoker when u pull the meat?". Again, OY VEY!

You need to throw it out and buy a new one each time. Doesn't he know that?!?!? :crazy:

LOL That is just uncalled for but funny as hell. I too work with people who are so mis-informed.

They are friends for a reason.... have patience brother.

Back