Budget Friendly Knives

I like the Victorinox fibrox knives. My meat slicer was the expensive one at about $50, but I just love the non-slip fibrox handles.

I have several Wusthof knives, which were Christmas presents, including a 7" Santoku Hollow Edge, a 9" double-serrated bread knife and a 3" pairing knife. All are fantastic knives, however, most of their knives don't qualify as budget friendly

Lately, I've bought several Dexter knives, as well as a few Victorinox knives, all from the Restaurant Store. I've been very happy with both brands and would recommend them without hesitation.

I've been happy with my Henckels Classic set. Added a a Victorinox brisket slicer that I love as well. Oh and I started using one of the 7" Bubba Blade filet knives as well. So much better handle. Definitely don't get as fatigued as if I were using my Henckels.

Last edited:
Victorinox Fibrox for me - I have their 8" chef's knife, two 6" boning/filet knives (one straight, one curved), a 12" cimeter, a serrated slicing knife, and a granton slicing knife. I could do pretty much everything with just the chef's knife and a boning knife.

I've been happy with my Henckels Classic set. Added a a Victorinox brisket slicer that I love as well. Oh and I started using one of the 7" Bubba Blade filet knives as well. So much better handle. Definitely don't get as fatigued as if I were using my Henckels.

How does the Bubba hold up? I've heard that once they lose an edge, it's tough to keep them sharp? I do a ton of fishing, but I've held off buying one for that reason.

However, I've heard so much about them in the fishing world that I'm tempted to try one.

How does the Bubba hold up? I've heard that once they lose an edge, it's tough to keep them sharp? I do a ton of fishing, but I've held off buying one for that reason.

However, I've heard so much about them in the fishing world that I'm tempted to try one.

So far so good on it, but I've only had it since the summer so not sure if I'd be able to give you a good "long term" review. I give it a few passes through the sharpening steel in my knife block from time to time, but that's it. The grip alone, especially when trimming a ton of meat at once, makes it worth it. After a couple pork butts and a brisket with my Henckels boning knife my hand wants to cramp. The Bubba you can cut all day.

No need for high dollar knives for trimming if you cook a lot.

I use the cheap filet knives for meat prep - they're razor sharp, cut well, and are expendable at around $10 each. They get used, abused, and ready to replace.

As for a finishing carving knife, invest in a good one......but no need to go uber high priced. I have a Wustof that works well.

I don't own a set of knives- no real point. I have a chef knife, a boning knife and a paring knife - all Victorinox- not sexy, not pricey but completely serviceable. I also own a granton blade slicer as long as my forearm- no idea what the hell I was thinking.

If I can't get it done with those- I can't get it done.

I don't own a set of knives- no real point. I have a chef knife, a boning knife and a paring knife - all Victorinox- not sexy, not pricey but completely serviceable. I also own a granton blade slicer as long as my forearm- no idea what the hell I was thinking.

If I can't get it done with those- I can't get it done.

I concur ^^^^^^^

Love my Victorinox. Have used Dexter, Wustof, and several more expensive Euro and Japanese brands. Lots of good stuff to there, but the Victorinox and Dexter are as good as any others and so much less expensive. I got the Victorinox competition BBQ set at Webstaurant.com a few years ago, then added an additional 8” Chef’s knife for the kitchen. Very Happy.

Unless I've used someone else's knife, I would go to a store and hold some. For only occasional use, it doesn't matter, but for everyday use, the handle makes or breaks a knife, for me. We have a very nice carving knife someone gave us for our wedding. Doesn't get used much, because of the handle. I use our chefs knife all the time, my wife hates the way it fits her hand, so uses the butchers knife for chopping.

This thread got me googling around looking at knives as I'm looking to finally buy some decent ones. Williams Sonoma appears to have all their Wusthof's and some other brands on sale at the moment. I'm not familiar with what the street price normally is but might be worth checking out... their 6 piece BBQ knife set is $279.

This thread got me googling around looking at knives as I'm looking to finally buy some decent ones. Williams Sonoma appears to have all their Wusthof's and some other brands on sale at the moment. I'm not familiar with what the street price normally is but might be worth checking out... their 6 piece BBQ knife set is $279.

Walk on. Not as good a deal as you might think it is.

I received a set of Miracle Blade 2 knives as a gift about 10 years ago and they still work well.

Ive got a few Cutco knives. I know there like the infomercial mall brand knives but they are sharp and I like the handles. I use the boning knife the most but I am looking to get a good slicing knife for tri tip and brisket. I have the Cutco carving knife but dont really like it for slicing.

FWIW, as a guy who spent ~$250 on a set of Wusthofs....I'd do something else instead, especially since the BBQ set is from the Gourmet line which has stamped blades, the Classic set I got (which included a block, 8" chef knife, 8" bread knife, 6" utility knife, 3" paring knife, sharpening steel, and shears) has the higher end forged blades. They're really nice knives, but they're not the best bang for the buck. I'm going to get my mom a good set of knives for Christmas this year, and here's what I plan on buying ::

Knife - brand/line - model/part number from Webstaurantstore.com
8" Chef's Knife - Victorinox Fibrox - 47520
5" Chef's Knife - Victorinox Fibrox - 57552
6" Flexible Boning Knife - Victorinox Fibrox - 47517
10" Wide Bread Knife - Mercer Millennia - M23210
10" Sharpening Steel - Mercer Genesis - M21010
3" Paring Knife 3-pack - Mercer Millennia - M23900

With shipping that set is ~$130. If you want a carving/slicing knife too, get that ~$22 11" Mercer Millennia I posted earlier.

There are nicer knives. But I think something like ^^ that set can't be beat without spending more than twice as much.

Love the Ontario/Old Hickory knives, but they are best used by someone who also cooks with cast iron. Because the care is similar and both rust quickly if not cared for correctly. the Mercer line is almost unbeatable in price/Stainless/great handle... I started using some high end knives recently in my restaurant kitchen, and I love them. But I have Mercers almost exclusively for the prep cooks that don't bring their own knives.

I really like the Ergo Chef knives, I've been using mine for about 10 years. The Ergo handle is comfortable, the blade keeps an edge good & sharpen real well. They offer several different lines- Pro series to Prodigy. Ergochef.com. The company is a small & family owned & they support BBQ.

I own a Victorinox and some more expensive knives... the Victorinox is hands down my favorite for everyday use.

Back