Cubano Y Mexicano Fusion Tacos

deguerre

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
OK, so there's this little throwdown going on all about tacos, and the vote thread is now up. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132453 (Go vote!!!)

I decided to try making my own flour tortillas this time. Seemed easy enough, until the rolling pin came into play...:shocked:

Anyway, I made enough for nine tortillas and by the time I did the last two, they were fairly circular. I also made several thicker than normal, for sort of a not quite gordito style shell which I presented in the finish photos.

tort.jpg

tort2.jpg

tort3.jpg

Need practice...

taco8.jpg

Moose has inspired me to try an asada, but I added a twist.

So, several days ago I took a 2 LB flank steak, sliced half a sweet onion, three green onions and a hefty bunch of cilantro chopped. This was then marinated in a Cubano style mojo:

1/3 cup evoo
2/3 cup bitter orange juice
2 tbs minced garlic
1/2 tsp (rounded) cumin
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 to 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper

The garlic was sauteed in the evoo (medium high heat - only takes a minute), the OJ and other ingredients were added and brough to a boil. Turned off the heat and allowed to get back to room temperature. Actual marinade time was about 4 1/2 days.

Also for the grill were a yellow bell pepper, a sweet yellow onion and 5 jalapeno peppers, all coated with evoo, S&P and a little cumin and garlic powder.

Freshly made pico de gallo (Three small tomatos, half a small white onion, three green onions, four serranos and a jalapeno, lime juice, S&P) and sour cream added as wanted. Also served was some home made Mexican rice, home made guacamole salad (Guacamole over finely chopped romain with lemon juice, EVOO and S&P) and some refried black beans.

Moose uses The Rub Co. Original, but I was out so I substituted Big Ron's Hint Of Houston.

marinade.jpg

marinade1.jpg

taco7.jpg

taco1.jpg

taco.jpg

Grilled Hot and fast, rested and sliced

taco3.jpg

You can see the color better in this shot

taco2.jpg

Tacos!

taco4.jpg

taco6.jpg

OK. I admit that I've never made a real (Sort of) Mexican dish before but I was extremely pleased with the outcome. Redhot agreed, and my Stepson Shawn couldn't comment as he was busy wolfing it down. So, these WILL get made again.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Awesome tacos, Guerry! That meat is cooked beautifully. :clap:

Glad everything worked out. :thumb:

I found your entry vote-worthy Deguerre! looked right tasty, and that beefiness put it over the top for me.

P.S. Deguerre is "gaming the system" by putting all those incendiary pron pictures in Q-Talk!

P.S.S. I voted for him before I looked at that hardcore stuff posted above.

P.S.S. This is all sarcasm for those unable to translate my sometimes incredibly dry humor!

Wow!

I've bookmarked this one for trying out when I get my press in!

They look great Guerry, an even number of tacos would've probably tasted better though. :)

Guerry! Don't you know that I haven't had dinner yet!! Dude l bet you don't get a 0 this time!! Love it!

Back