What's your tips for putting pulled pork over the top?

ThePerfectBeard

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm just curious if anyone has come by any techniques that have truly separated their pulled pork from the rest of the pack?

Personally, I don't like to wrap. I've played with tons of rubs, but I've never injected. I want to pull off a banging butt for memorial day, but I need some ideas.

Thanks all!

I wrap and inject....if youre cooking commodity pork at least half the butt is bland boring white meat and it needs help IMO. I wrap to reserve the juices to reintroduce after pulling if necessary, and to preserve a certain color...and also because they take way too long to cook compared to other meat and I want to speed up the process.

I wrap and inject....if youre cooking commodity pork at least half the butt is bland boring white meat and it needs help IMO. I wrap to reserve the juices to reintroduce after pulling, and to preserve a certain color.

What do you inject with? I love the idea of adding the reserve juices, but anytime I wrap, the bark kind of sucks.

I've done a ton of PP and no matter the rub or wrap vs. no wrap....it tastes about the same everytime.

I've done a ton of PP and no matter the rub or wrap vs. no wrap....it tastes about the same everytime.

Agree....the biggest difference I see between rubs is some give me a color I like better than others. My palette is not refined enough I guess.

IMO when I started smoking free range Duroc and Berkshire pork that made all the difference in the world. Just simple SPOG or Salt is the only seasoning needed to make incredibly tasting pork.

There's a place down the road that sells Berkshire, I think I might spend the extra for it.

IMO when I started smoking free range Duroc and Berkshire pork that made all the difference in the world. Just simple SPOG or Salt is the only seasoning needed to make incredibly tasting pork.

Agreed, I went back to Kosher salt and 16/20 mesh pepper on pork as much of it as I can get to stick. ~Hard to beat the flavor.

Usually something along the lines of the "Chris Lilly" injection. I like those sort of injections because they seem more natural to me and complement the meat well.

This ^. I can't do his rub though, I burp the cumin for hours after eating it. I change it around a little. I set mine in foil for the last 2-3 hours to catch some juice and grease to pour back over it after I pull it.

Slit it multiple times and insert garlic slivers. Never fails no matter the chunk of meat.

I make an injection with apple juice, salt and a rub of some sort. Hit with whatever rub I have on hand. I pretty much always wrap.

In my opinion, pulled pork needs an awesome vinegar sauce to put it over the top. There is a recipe in Tuffy Stone's book I really like.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I just pile on as much of my Dynamite(tm) pork rub as I can and smoke for 6 hrs, then put in a pan and cover for the rest of the cook.

Yea, some of the bark gets a little mushy, but once you mix all the meat together it won't matter much. The caked on rub turns into a paste that gets mixed up with the meat and some reserved drippings.

Finishing sauce is the single biggest difference I've found. Mine's pretty much the same as linked above but without the ketchup and subbing Tony's for white pepper.

1 Cup Cider Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
1 Teaspoon Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning
1 Teaspoon Coarse Black Pepper

I keep it simple up front by just hitting the shoulder / butts with a healthy coating of SPOG + some extra salt to work on the base of flavor. Some times, I do this a la John (Sir Porkalot)'s NC BBQ tutorial that's about as close to Lexington BBQ as I can come (Oh, how I miss Honeymonk's)!.

I cook the butts until about 150/160F, then I pan them separately and wrap them. This catch the juices and fats for future use.

Once the bone (in each) wiggles, I pull the butt / shoulder and rest it in the oven for about... an hour or two (or as time allows).

When ready to chop, I pull the bone(s), and chop the 'cue in a box / on a big-arsed cutting board... adding rub, apple cider vinegar, and a touch of hot sauce (as needed), tasting as I go until I'm happy with the results. Need more moisture? I add the de-fatted juices from the butts/shoulder(s) back to the meat here. Save what you don't use!

It's a little labor-intensive, especially towards the end, but Lord, it sure produces good results.

All above just for your consideration and discussion.

Hope that gives you some thoughts and ideas.

Kind regards and thin blue.

I do wrap but don’t inject. When I wrap I use White Grape juice. I know of several teams that also inject with the grape juice.

Cook a whole shoulder.It will take 24 hours or so at 250 f.If you cannot find that,cook a butt and a picnic and add them together,same thing.Just keep it simple,salt,pepper,garlic,,whatever rub you like.They are very forgiving.Good Luck.

Back