MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:55 PM   #1
gambler
On the road to being a farker

Default Anyone else ever wondered what happened to Stubb's Charcoal Briquets?

Lowe's stopped carrying the Stubb's all natural charcoal briquets...which I absolutely loved! Very low ash content, and hight heat and fairly long cook times. Not to mention a very clean burn. Added bonus was you could re-burn leftover coals.

I've been searching for a replacement and heard that Cowboy Charcoal was the manufacturer of Stubb's. So I wrote them an email, and this was their reply:

"Hi,

Thank you for contacting us. Lowe’s and some other retailers are currently transitioning from Stubb’s to our Cowboy Hardwood Briquets. The hardwood briquets are the same, just with different branding. This change was made to consolidate to a unified brand offering at Lowe’s.
Aside from Lowe’s, you can also find the Cowboy Hardwood Briquets at Kroger, True Value, and other grocery stores.
Cowboy All Natural Hardwood Briquets provide long-lasting, even heat while adding the authentic, smoky flavor of hardwood, just like the Stubb’s briquets that you currently use. They are all natural – no fillers, chemicals, or additives. You can find them here on our website.
I hope this information was helpful. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me further.

Thank you,
Jessica Ledesma
Consumer Affairs
Cowboy Charcoal, LLC"

So if anyone else out there is looking for Stubb's, keep an eye out for the Cowboy All Natural Hardwood Briquets. It's the same product.
gambler is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.

Old 05-20-2019, 10:20 PM   #2
mikemci
Babbling Farker

Default C

I see Cowboy lump at Costco, I wonder if it is the same as Stubbs lump?
red Thermapen

There are two kinds of countries in the world, those that use the metric system and the one that sent men to the moon and back.
mikemci is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2019, 10:20 PM   #3
4ever3
somebody shut me the fark up.

AWESOME!!!

Thanks for posting this!

Stubbs was my favorite until Weber came along, now that no one is carrying Weber anywhere local I’ve started looking for Stubbs but to no avail...

I’ll be looking for this stuff!

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
GMG TREK (Greta Thunberg)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

2x “Unfortunately nothing wrong with that” Bob C Que…
I must be living right (somehow…)
4ever3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2019, 11:23 PM   #4
Duey
Knows what a fatty is.

I posted a similar reply from Cowboy a few weeks back. Funny thing is, all the Lowe's around me sold out their Stubb's AND Cowboy at the same time. Plus, any Cowboy I've found around here has been ridiculously priced compared to last summer. Glad that I drove 60 miles and bought 20 bags at a Lowe's that had it on clearance in March.
Duey is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-21-2019, 12:04 AM   #5
gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duey View Post
I posted a similar reply from Cowboy a few weeks back. Funny thing is, all the Lowe's around me sold out their Stubb's AND Cowboy at the same time. Plus, any Cowboy I've found around here has been ridiculously priced compared to last summer. Glad that I drove 60 miles and bought 20 bags at a Lowe's that had it on clearance in March.
The Lowe's out here in Southern California never sold them both at the same time. They stopped stocking Stubb's months ago, and haven't gotten any of the Cowboy charcoal in yet. So I'm still waiting. But in the mean time, Ralphs Supermarket and some ACE Hardware stock it. Probably a little more expensive there, but I plan on picking some bags up soon. Best charcoal briquets I have ever used.
gambler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2019, 01:20 AM   #6
Duey
Knows what a fatty is.

Totally agree.
Duey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2019, 07:10 AM   #7
AussieMatt
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Matt

We got in a skid of Royal Oak briqs last night...haven't unloaded any Cowboy yet.

Weber Original 22" - RIP
UDS
Fiskgriddle
Weber Kettle Premium - Copper
AussieMatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2019, 10:36 AM   #8
Mike in Roseville
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

I really liked Stubbs. My Lowes doesn't carry Cowboy Briquettes in-store. You have to get them mailed.
Mike in Roseville is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2019, 10:42 AM   #9
TC Smoke & Que
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

Used Stubb's for many years, but here in So Fl they are no longer being sold, So I am trying the Royal Oak All Natural briqs this weekend. I may try the Cowboys to see how they do.
TC Smoke & Que is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2019, 10:59 AM   #10
SonnyE
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Sonny

In a pinch, try Wally World.

https://www.walmart.com/search/?meth...hProductResult

But sadly enough, manufacturers sometimes do consolidate into one line like your email said.
Hopefully they don't sell out to China.

Old 05-21-2019, 11:23 AM   #11
Pulmah Finger

I grabbed a bag of Cowboys a few weeks ago and have had 2 separate cooks with it.

This is anecdotal and only a single bag but I was not impressed. most of the lump was rather small, it burned pretty quick, moderate ash. I would have preferred some kingsford to be honest.

I had about 5 pounds left after my mothersday cook and i left it out uncovered, I wasnt even mad when the 3inches of rain came through last weekend.
Pulmah Finger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2019, 12:32 PM   #12
upStomp
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulmah Finger View Post
I grabbed a bag of Cowboys a few weeks ago and have had 2 separate cooks with it.

This is anecdotal and only a single bag but I was not impressed. most of the lump was rather small, it burned pretty quick, moderate ash. I would have preferred some kingsford to be honest.

I had about 5 pounds left after my mothersday cook and i left it out uncovered, I wasnt even mad when the 3inches of rain came through last weekend.
They're referring to the briqs, not the lump. I've had similar issues with their lump.

I've used the Cowboy briqs quite a bit and can confirm it's the same as Stubb's. Unfortunately it hasn't been stocked at my local Lowe's since maybe January. I hope it doesn't go the way of Weber.

[B][SIZE="3"]:yo: [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]BBQ Brethren 2018 Tri-Tip Master!!![/COLOR] :yo:[/SIZE][/B]
upStomp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2019, 12:39 PM   #13
EricD
is One Chatty Farker

I've used the cowboy lump I found at the local grocery store, had no idea it was the same as Stubbs though (which the same store never had).
A couple people mentioned Weber Briqs....Are they not making them anymore? I got a bunch of bags when HD had them for a $1 or something like that. I've only used it once, but not sure I'm a fan of it yet. It seemed to burn cooler.
22" Weber Kettle black, 18" Weber Kettle black,Weber Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Weber Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza Oven, The Big Easy, Anova Immersion Cooker, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotisserie, Infrared temp gun, Maverick ET-732, ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mats
EricD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2019, 01:21 PM   #14
Springram
is One Chatty Farker

Acuired hal a dozen of the Cowboy briqs on sale about 3 months ago at Lowes. When I finish my stock of Royal Oak briqs I will try them out. I also have heard like the posts above that is is the same as the Stubbs.
Weber 22.5 Master Touch
Hunsaker drum
Weber Smokey Joe
Blackstone griddle
PK Grill (original)
Springram is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2019, 06:55 PM   #15
Pulmah Finger

Quote:
Originally Posted by upStomp View Post
They're referring to the briqs, not the lump. I've had similar issues with their lump.

I've used the Cowboy briqs quite a bit and can confirm it's the same as Stubb's. Unfortunately it hasn't been stocked at my local Lowe's since maybe January. I hope it doesn't go the way of Weber.
My Bad...saw cowboy and assumed lump.
Pulmah Finger is offline   Reply With Quote