Brisket on The MMS-60

Mattb82

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Ran Texas style brisket today on a 15 pound prime package. Heavy pepper, salt, little granulated garlic. Used post oak and held around 275 for a total of 10 hours. Bark was awesome and incredibly juicy. I get that liquid spot on the flat constantly, think I need to trim differently

Last edited:
So much for the learning curve you hit that brisket out of the park! ~I'm a fan of what your seeing on the flat because that's what the people I cook for like for tenderness and a juicy bite but I get it might not be what your shooting for to turn in at a comp.

It looks delicious Matt you and that new cooker are going to get along famously I think.

Tenderness

Definitely not a comp style cook. The family loves Texas style so I gave them what they wanted. Next cook I’m separating and doing comp style.
So much for the learning curve you hit that brisket out of the park! ~I'm a fan of what your seeing on the flat because that's what the people I cook for like for tenderness and a juicy bite but I get it might not be what your shooting for to turn in at a comp.

It looks delicious Matt you and that new cooker are going to get along famously I think.

Put a chunk of wood under the brisket and it will keep thr liquid from pooling up on top

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

That is one awesome looking brisket, and I prefer the flavor of that over any of the comp style that I have tasted. Awesome cook!

Flavor

I agree 100% man, I prefer it as well QUOTE=ronbrad62;4181609]That is one awesome looking brisket, and I prefer the flavor of that over any of the comp style that I have tasted. Awesome cook![/QUOTE]

The brisket looks incredible. Man you got me wanting to try my first brisket...come on summer break!!! You gotta knock out a couple more cooks so we can hear your review on the cooker. I'd say from the looks of things it was receive a passing grade.

You fired a MMS 60 up for just one brisket? I don't know that I could have kept myself from filling up most of that extra space!

Brisket looks fantastic, though!

That looks like an awesome Brisket. Did you wrap it in foil, paper, or just let it ride out unwrapped? What exactly would you want different for a Comp style cook? From what I see Ain’t nothin wrong with that meat..something wrong with the judges if they want a brisket like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A "hump" grate works perfectly to keep the pool from happening. And does not block heat from the center section like using a piece of wood or pop can.

Attachments

• hump grates.jpg
    hump grates.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 142
  • hump grate (2).jpg
    hump grate (2).jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 138
  • cryo brskt on grate  (3).jpg
    cryo brskt on grate (3).jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 140
  • 11 hrs 285.jpg
    11 hrs 285.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 138
Thanks.
Scrap 6"X 9" expanded metal and a scrap piece of cooking grate.
Either grate also holds 2 racks of babybacks on a standard weber grate. With ease.

Attachments

• bb ribs grate (4).jpg
    bb ribs grate (4).jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 69
  • bb ribs grate (1).jpg
    bb ribs grate (1).jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 69
Back