BBQ sauce

Had some of my brother's spares awhile back that he used a 50/50 mix of sweet baby rays original and sweet baby rays hot.

Pretty dang good.

My family will tell you Sweet Baby Rays original. I like it too in a pinch. My go to from the store is Rib Rack BBQ sauce both original and honey.

My go to commercial is Kosmo's competition, and now Yes, Dear BBQ's #NotJuice Competition sauce.

....And of course, I'm always working on my own!!! :becky:

• Thanks
Reactions: cpw
Head Country and Trader Joe’s KC style are really tasty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want sauce that is not thick, and not too sweet. Usually I will pick Gates or Blues Hog regular mixed half and half with the tennesee red so it is thinner. Blues hog mustard sauce is also full of flavor. IF you are going to get the popular sticky sauces my wife likes (baby ray, masterpiece, ok joe), I say thin it out with some white vinegar, to make it better for brushing or mopping on food and cut the sweet.

My new BBQ store favorite, which is a little sweeter, is Yes Dear-Red.

Not a big fan of most sauces. My ideal sauce doesn't detract or overpower the smoked meat or the rub I've made. In terms of commercially available, the one that makes me feel like my time is better spent doing other things than making sauce is Blues Hog TN Red as a sauce for pulled pork (I'm in Lexington country)

Best for me, you, people in general? Sweet, smokey, hot, vinegar based, tomato based? Sorry, I just had to complicate things. :doh:

A general gate say but almost all purpose that I can have in my cabinet to use impromptu.

Back story my wife bought some spareribs. Cut tips off, wife’s not a huge fan of sauce on bbq but does likeon burnt end so was going to make the tips with sauce and shamelessly admit had no sauce in house

I like the Heinz Pitmaster sauces. $2 at Walmart and Target. No junk with minimal doctoring. I personally think they all need to be heated and thinned out with some apple juice. I usually grab Kansas City or Texas.

I keep the Carolina Mustard around all the time.

If I saw Head Country more, I'd buy that. The Apple Habanero is great!

My family and coworkers are fans of Head Country so always have it on hand. Myself, I'm a fan of Blues Hog Tennessee Red.

Not a big fan of most sauces. My ideal sauce doesn't detract or overpower the smoked meat or the rub I've made. In terms of commercially available, the one that makes me feel like my time is better spent doing other things than making sauce is Blues Hog TN Red as a sauce for pulled pork (I'm in Lexington country)

Boy do I ever agree with ncmoose on this. Most over-the-counter sauces have artificial smoke flavorings in them that tend to conflict with rub and frankly overpower the taste of the meat. I'd said it many times before, most sauces you could put on a piece of cardboard and you couldn't tell it from the taste.

I pretty much never use them as a result. I mix in Blues Hog Original and Blues Hog Tennesse Red in my sauce, and every once in a blue moon I'll just use the Tennessee Red when I'm feeling the need for vinegar. Neither BH Original or TN Red have smoke flavorings in them.

I do mix in Head Country Original (it has artificial smoke in it) in my Brunswick Stew. I've tried other sauces in it (the stew) and HCO just seems to fit the bill the best.

No love for any Kraft? I know it's not going to be popular, but I take original Kraft mix it with vinegar based Prosser's (local brand) and doctor it up from there. I haven't found a huge difference in Kraft and Sweet Baby Rays. This is my sauce I like for chicken and ribs. The result of it is a Memphis style sticky sweet sauce.

Not to hijack the thread, but do people have favorites for chicken versus pork? I almost included beef, but that would be sacrilegious.

Sweet Baby Ray's Honey is what we use 90% of the time in our house. The kids like it for a quick sauce with nuggets, chicken strips, etc... and I like the way it pairs with my rub on ribs.

I use my own sauces on Pulled Pork, usually keeping a few on hand. I make another sauce for Brisket and Pepper Stout Beef, but usual don't sauce either.

I do try other sauces when I see something that catches my eye, especially different flavors for wings. But, for everyday use, SBR Honey is our sauce of choice...

Ole Hickory Pits Apple Q Sauce....better than anything I've ever had. This is a very subjective question.

Edited to add: Maybe y'all don't consider it store bought...

Not to hijack the thread, but do people have favorites for chicken versus pork? I almost included beef, but that would be sacrilegious.

Very good point...I do like a lil sweeter sauce on chicken and more tang on pork and beef.

No love for any Kraft? I know it's not going to be popular, but I take original Kraft mix it with vinegar based Prosser's (local brand) and doctor it up from there. I haven't found a huge difference in Kraft and Sweet Baby Rays. This is my sauce I like for chicken and ribs. The result of it is a Memphis style sticky sweet sauce.

Actually, good old Kraft original is my favorite to add to bbq chicken at the end in addition to my rub.

I been hooked on Slap's BBQ sauce recently but might be hard to find for some of you but it is awesome living close to Kansas City and a lot BBQ teams have their sauce in most grocery stores .

Attachments

• DSC_0076.jpg
    DSC_0076.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 103
In case people may want to try some sauces BPS has free shipping right now with code WEEK3. I just blew a load there, cash wise, then blew some more with Naturiffic, been eager to try some.

https://www.lilliesq.com/
Lilliesq-09.55.12.png

Nothing touches lilie's (for me at least), I was stunned it was at my local walmart. I'm also fond of Rufus Teague sauces.

Last edited:
Back