MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-17-2020, 08:35 AM   #1
Grain Belt
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Grills as status symbols?

I overheard several people at work talking about grills. They were mentioning Traeger pellet grills and Big Green Eggs. All three people talking were women and they all had common, cheap gas grills. They wanted to buy an upgrade for their husbands. They saw me listening and said, “We’ve had your food at parties, we want our husbands to do stuff like that.” I told them that everything I have cooked for parties (Ham, Turkey, Chicken, Chuckies, Pulled Pork, Wings, ABT’s, etc) has come off of a 20+ year old Weber kettle. They were shocked. I said you can go to a store and buy a Weber kettle for $100-$180, get a few bags of charcoal and a bag of apple or cherry wood chunks and then could get after it. I then said if you want to go cheaper you could also go the craigslist/marketplace/let go route and get a kettle for $20-40 bucks and clean it up with Easy Off oven cleaner. Then grab a few new grates if needed and then wait for the big box charcoal sales this spring and buy ten bags or so and then cut your own hardwood chunks from a local source. The ladies smiled at me and then said, “We love your food but we want a grill that will look nice when we have people over.” I just mentioned that I have had really good food off of Eggs and Traegers and then said I would be happy to share recipes and rubs/sauces if they ever had the need. Oh well. I thought I was giving them the key to BBQ zen but to each their own. The hobby is great fun regardless of what people like and how they get there.
Grain Belt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2020, 08:39 AM   #2
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

No way! People buy more crap than they need!?? Blasphemy!

(See signature line below) vvvvvvv
Lang 36 Deluxe, Pit Barrel Cooker, Weber: 26 w/ Rotisserie Ring, MasterTouch 22, & 18, Good One Open Range, Blackstone 36 Griddle, Traeger Junior (retired), Char-Broil Gasser, Thermopop Red, Fireboard

4 Time TD Winner 1 2 3 4

Please consider a subscription!

Brisket is sacred, don't **** with brisket!

On a foggy day with stick burners in front of businesses and at houses burping Mesquite, Pecan, and Oak- the thin blue laying hazily near the ground- outstanding. - 16Adams

Just so happens that outdoor cooking is not only my hobby but also serves as my therapy. - rwalters
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-17-2020, 08:41 AM   #3
4ever3
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I’ve chests are status symbols why not grills?

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

“The cannons don’t thunder, there’s nothing to plunder, I’m an over 40 victim of fate...”
4ever3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-17-2020, 08:54 AM   #4
Mike Twangzer
is One Chatty Farker

Might hold a "cooking class" and invite everyone for a demo. I understand they may be wanting to replace a rusted out beat up gas grill. Point them in weber's direction.
Mike Twangzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2020, 11:27 AM   #5
Lynn Dollar
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Lynn

Well, I've always found it to be true that women really dig men who cook on copper Kettles.
Lynn Dollar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2020, 12:03 PM   #6
drunkenmeatfist
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : chipper

When I bought my Hunsaker I figured everyone would think I was the coolest dude around, but that didn't happen. Someone did tell me that it looks like a meth barrel though.
drunkenmeatfist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2020, 12:12 PM   #7
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

People put a lot of stock in appearance. Seems logical they want a cool looking shiny grill.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The 2020 Texas BBQ Brethren Spring Bash Planning Post! (Link)
The 2020 Texas BBQ Brethren Spring Bash Sign up sheet (Link)
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2020, 12:26 PM   #8
Nuco59
is Blowin Smoke!

People want stuff solely -or mostly- based on looks? Say it ain't so.

Some folks you can't help- the important thing is to know the exact moment you are wasting your time- then stop doing it.

Old 02-17-2020, 12:46 PM   #9
LYU370
Babbling Farker

Yep, I've met a few of those people. LOOK at my shiny 8 burner gas grill. Isn't it impressive?

Yep, sure is shiny. But I'd be more impressed if you could actually cook something decent that wasn't over cooked.

FEC100 - Big Joe - Saber 500 Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us and enter to win great prizes! It's a BLAST!
LYU370 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2020, 12:54 PM   #10
TravelingJ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Justin

I appreciate wanting nice things. I had to "get by" a lot of my childhood, so now that I can-I will often buy a nice version of what I'm interested in. Unfortunately, I have many expensive vices-whiskeys, cigars, cooking, power tools, etc. It's always a balancing act. I will roll my eyes at people that want the expensive grill, but can't use it. I respect the guy that can really work the grill, and gets the expensive one. It's a shift from showing off, to enjoying what you use (maybe with a side dish of showing off)
TravelingJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2020, 12:58 PM   #11
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

Now, here’s the other side.

A few years ago the only grill I had was a cheap gasser. I bought a Traeger on a whim at Costco and the rest is history. If they get the bug those will work fine too.
Lang 36 Deluxe, Pit Barrel Cooker, Weber: 26 w/ Rotisserie Ring, MasterTouch 22, & 18, Good One Open Range, Blackstone 36 Griddle, Traeger Junior (retired), Char-Broil Gasser, Thermopop Red, Fireboard

4 Time TD Winner 1 2 3 4

Please consider a subscription!

Brisket is sacred, don't **** with brisket!

On a foggy day with stick burners in front of businesses and at houses burping Mesquite, Pecan, and Oak- the thin blue laying hazily near the ground- outstanding. - 16Adams

Just so happens that outdoor cooking is not only my hobby but also serves as my therapy. - rwalters
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2020, 03:36 PM   #12
Grain Belt
is one Smokin' Farker

I think some of the posters are right when they mention quality of food earns respect off of any cooking device. My mentality on grills is my own. I have referbished Webers for multiple buddies who have the cooking know how to be very good with them. I have a BIL who is very skilled on his BGE and a hunting buddy who can knock out some excellent food on his Traeger. Both are great cooks in general too. A broker friend once took me to a luxury cabin on a lake. It had a Wolf range worth something around $8000. My friend said it had never been lit by the owner. Only the plumber checking the gas lines had ever fired it up. The owner wanted a “showcase kitchen” but did not cook a lick. So be it. I guess we all like it when people are impressed with our stuff. Sorry if my original post was a “duh” or offended anyone. The world is just very interesting to me, especially as I age.

Last edited by Grain Belt; 02-17-2020 at 04:01 PM..
Grain Belt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2020, 03:37 PM   #13
Mike Twangzer
is One Chatty Farker

Default looks

[QUOTE=Nuco59;4272711]People want stuff solely -or mostly- based on looks? Say it ain't so.

Does apply to the opposite sex ?
Mike Twangzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2020, 05:04 PM   #14
Smoking Piney
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Bottom Line: Pick the cooker you want, have fun, and master it. There is no price point to enjoying the art of BBQ.

Assassin 24
XL BGE
Weber Kettle with rotisserie and Vortex
AMNPS
Smoking Piney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2020, 05:22 PM   #15
Hoss
Babbling Farker

I know exactly what you mean.I would venture to wager that Not ONE of those women nor their husbands will ever cook a meal in their lifetime that can compare to meals prepared by Cowgirl and that Trusty Tractor Rim!
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote