MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-17-2020, 01:33 PM   #61
travismagee
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyDick View Post
If you seriously left your home with no-one around to tend - then yes you are a very dumb person.

Any device that has a constant fire that is driven by electricity or gas source is something would never trust unattended. Even cooking all night long while I'm asleep. No chance.

Thanks from:--->

Old 02-17-2020, 01:43 PM   #62
Jrogers84
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by travismagee View Post
Any device that has a constant fire that is driven by electricity or gas source is something would never trust unattended. Even cooking all night long while I'm asleep. No chance.
You wouldnt trust leaving your indoor oven on while you slept?
Jrogers84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2020, 04:12 PM   #63
redhawk
Full Fledged Farker

I sleep peacefully all the time with my WSM. I'm going to keep sticking with what works and is super easy to use.
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2020, 04:32 PM   #64
ETOH
On the road to being a farker

Another dummy here... I leave my egg running while I’m away/sleeping. It’s far enough from my house that worst possible case it ruins my meat. 100’s of cooks, never a problem. Monitor with WiFi and cameras when I’m bored. I don’t see the problem as long as you have proper planning and cooker placement.
ETOH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2020, 04:40 PM   #65
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrogers84 View Post
You wouldnt trust leaving your indoor oven on while you slept?
Any device with a constant flame driven by electricity or gas.

He just described my water heater and my furnace. Damn guess I should turn them off.
Lang 36 Deluxe, Pit Barrel Cooker, Weber: 26 w/ Rotisserie Ring, MasterTouch 22, & 18, Good One Open Range, Blackstone 36 Griddle, Traeger Junior (retired), Char-Broil Gasser, Thermopop Red, Fireboard

4 Time TD Winner 1 2 3 4

Please consider a subscription!

Brisket is sacred, don't **** with brisket!

On a foggy day with stick burners in front of businesses and at houses burping Mesquite, Pecan, and Oak- the thin blue laying hazily near the ground- outstanding. - 16Adams

Just so happens that outdoor cooking is not only my hobby but also serves as my therapy. - rwalters
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2020, 05:09 AM   #66
mike243
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
Man, by that standard... after 25 plus years of leaving pellet grills, kamados, WSM’s, kettles, sous vides, ovens and crockpots unmanned... I must be the dumbest person on earth! Is there a “Dumbest Brethren” contest? Ready to claim my prize [emoji12]
I got ya beat on the time by a considerable amount lol. I have had the power go off when using a digital crockpot so I don't use that 1 unless somebody is home, it wont turn its self back on. After almost 2 years my Pitboss hasn't missed a beat, if it does its a cheap repair more than likely , getting the bugs worked out on any new cooker is ugly ,glad mine is bug free

Old 02-18-2020, 11:07 AM   #67
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

Well even Baby Back Maniac had a grease fire in his weber smokefire.
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...278659&page=12

At least weber got the fire part right
ebijack is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2020, 11:31 AM   #68
Jrogers84
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlsportster View Post
Any device with a constant flame driven by electricity or gas.

He just described my water heater and my furnace. Damn guess I should turn them off.
Well played
Jrogers84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2020, 06:58 PM   #69
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Here is another guy that was trying his best to be as fair as possible ended up sending his back.

May have to restart vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d23GYKYdIng
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBT-4XS Bluetooth Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-18-2020, 08:14 PM   #70
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Hapgood View Post
Here is another guy that was trying his best to be as fair as possible ended up sending his back.

May have to restart vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d23GYKYdIng
I like this guy. Seems like he read the manual. Thanks Mike!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The 2020 Texas BBQ Brethren Spring Bash Planning Post! (Link)
The 2020 Texas BBQ Brethren Spring Bash Sign up sheet (Link)
pjtexas1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2020, 10:28 AM   #71
Pedro7
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebijack View Post
Here is a video from Baby Back Maniac
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc0NOKaJ_uQ

After all the hype and thousands of hours of testing they said. I am a bit surprised weber would come to the market this late in the game with a so-so pellet cooker. With lots of problems. Common problems of pellet cookers.
This should hit weber's reputation hard over time.
You shouldn't come to market with a deflated shiny balloon and then try to fix stuff after the fact. Do some real engineering and testing. No copy/paste of other pellet grills and try to make it seem like it is a new and better product than it is. The searing temp is the only thing really new/better that I see. This unit has. If, that even works.
I was hoping this would be something I might try. Never had a pellet grill. But I do not see that happening anymore. Pretty said, after all the hype.
With other brands I would definitely agree with you here. However, Weber sold this thing extensively due to their brand recognition and history of quality and durability. If Weber made a pellet grill exactly like Traeger or the others people would just buy it because it's Weber. They could have put a normal grease/drip tray in it (my biggest issue with the grill), ditched the flavorizers, made a normal hopper with a proper decline, etc. They didn't have to engineer anything new because their brand is so strong. Weber is in a very unique place in that regard.

At least that's how I see it. It was the biggest reason why I was considering buying one of these. Now after seeing it I think it is a very poor design. Not putting in a drip tray is mind blowing to me.

Old 02-19-2020, 10:39 AM   #72
luv2smoke
Full Fledged Farker

Five pages in a thread titled "Weber Smoke Fire first cook" and unless I missed it there was no report on how the food turned out, flavor profile etc? It does appear the OP was one of the rare ones with minimal problems but no feedback on the end results.

Old 02-19-2020, 11:38 AM   #73
SmokyDick
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2smoke View Post
Five pages in a thread titled "Weber Smoke Fire first cook" and unless I missed it there was no report on how the food turned out, flavor profile etc? It does appear the OP was one of the rare ones with minimal problems but no feedback on the end results.

Seems to be a great grill but a dangerous smoker in stock config.
SmokyDick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2020, 11:48 AM   #74
mcyork28
is One Chatty Farker

We had some friends over so never really got back to updating. Also just watching how this post unfolded.

The jalapenos and mock burnt ends were really good. It wasn't my favorite rack of ribs. The bark wasn't what I am used to off my offset or UDS. That is just something I need to figure out with a new type cooker.

I am hoping to do a brisket in the next few days.

Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2smoke View Post
Weber Kettle
Weber Genesis
Weber Smokey Joe

Passed on to a new home
Tejas 2040 Deluxe
Humphrey's Long Weekender
mcyork28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2020, 12:09 PM   #75
sudsandswine
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro7 View Post
With other brands I would definitely agree with you here. However, Weber sold this thing extensively due to their brand recognition and history of quality and durability. If Weber made a pellet grill exactly like Traeger or the others people would just buy it because it's Weber. They could have put a normal grease/drip tray in it (my biggest issue with the grill), ditched the flavorizers, made a normal hopper with a proper decline, etc. They didn't have to engineer anything new because their brand is so strong. Weber is in a very unique place in that regard.

At least that's how I see it. It was the biggest reason why I was considering buying one of these. Now after seeing it I think it is a very poor design. Not putting in a drip tray is mind blowing to me.
The “traditional” grease tray is the biggest hindrance to pellet grills being good at direct grilling, in my opinion. So while I’m not surprised Weber tried ditching that to improve direct heat grilling performance, I’m also not surprised to see there would be grease management and fire issues