MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-15-2020, 08:05 PM   #16
sudsandswine
Babbling Farker

There's a fair bit different about the SmokeFire compared to most other grills on the market, IMO.

I like the amount of real estate on that thing....that's the only complaint I have about my Mak...I wish it was wider.

Thanks from:--->

Old 02-15-2020, 08:06 PM   #17
WilliamKY
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : William

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyDick View Post
So do I.

Weber is so late to the game that they didn't invent anything or really add anything to the game.
Exactly. Weber is like the ancient Romans. They took everyone's technology throughout the Empire and tweaked it to call their own. The research was already done. The money Weber spent was ramping up production. I'm watching the reviews closely.
Old Smokey Electric.
Blackstone 22.
Go Cards!
WilliamKY is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:51 AM   #18
norcalniner
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Matt

I'm really interested in hearing/ watching all the reviews after a month flies by. I love my kettle but it's time to upgrade. I've been going back and forth between three smokefire or an offset flight quite some time. Leaning toward a stick burner. My wife says I'll have more fun with it... she's probably right
norcalniner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2020, 03:10 AM   #19
kenrobin
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Backyard Smokemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalniner View Post
I'm really interested in hearing/ watching all the reviews after a month flies by. I love my kettle but it's time to upgrade. I've been going back and forth between three smokefire or an offset flight quite some time. Leaning toward a stick burner. My wife says I'll have more fun with it... she's probably right
Get a well-made stickburner. The best made pellet grill is no match with a good stickburner.
kenrobin is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 02-16-2020, 08:56 AM   #20
mcyork28
is One Chatty Farker

For the most part mine worked fine. There was a little temp fluctuation. I was monitoring it with a flameboss.

The app is worthless. I assume they will improve it.

The hopper design could be better. Had the low pellet alarm go off because they weren't sliding down properly.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Weber Kettle
Weber Genesis
Weber Smokey Joe

Passed on to a new home
Tejas 2040 Deluxe
Humphrey's Long Weekender
mcyork28 is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-16-2020, 09:27 AM   #21
sudsandswine
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenrobin View Post
Get a well-made stickburner. The best made pellet grill is no match with a good stickburner.
I can leave the house and do other things with a pellet grill, check the temp remotely and have someone at the house do something if needed. Every cook scenario isn’t utopia where I can just sit around feeding sticks. So I’m willing to sacrifice a little character for convenience. I cook a lot more often than I would otherwise because I have a tool in the arsenal that is relatively hands free.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:15 AM   #22
SmokerKing
is One Chatty Farker

I bought the IGrill thermos early on and the app was good, price was reasonable, connectivity was good, probes fairly decent.

Weber bought them and bloated the app with a bunch of BS, connectivity can be iffy, price went up, etc.

I'm using a few Smokes now.
SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2020, 11:47 AM   #23
Gimmethecash
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsandswine View Post
I can leave the house and do other things with a pellet grill, check the temp remotely and have someone at the house do something if needed. Every cook scenario isn’t utopia where I can just sit around feeding sticks. So I’m willing to sacrifice a little character for convenience. I cook a lot more often than I would otherwise because I have a tool in the arsenal that is relatively hands free.
This is exactly why I’m thinking hard about getting my stick burner a pellet grill friend. I really enjoy tending a fire, but I also enjoy eating & sharing tender smoky meats even when I don’t have time to indulge in my pyro tendencies, and I’m willing to give up a little of the aforementioned character for it.
Weber Genesis gasser
Otto Wilde OFB
Cookshack Amerique
2 x Sous Vide Supreme
Minipack MV31X
Gimmethecash is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2020, 11:56 AM   #24
Shadowdog500
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsandswine View Post
I don’t trust my pit boss unattended anymore, and am not sure if I would leave the smokefire unattended either after seeing a couple videos of it locking up and several videos or having grease fires like These videos. https://youtu.be/9-xKRvMiSHM. https://youtu.be/Y3j5P7PPfOY. The also need to address the fact that the pellets don’t always feed down the ramped hopper that well like this video. https://youtu.be/cJA1Z9FKwZs

I wound up going back to my WSM with an IQ-110 for all night cooks when I want to sleep. I also use a pit temp alarm to wake me up just in case.

I have no doubt that Weber will address and correct these issues. I just think they should have taken care of these problems before the release. If you look at my cooker list below, you will see that I am a Weber fan.

Last edited by Shadowdog500; 02-16-2020 at 12:03 PM..
Shadowdog500 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2020, 12:28 PM   #25
SmokyDick
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Rich

Its dumb to leave any cooker unattended, even a home oven.
SmokyDick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2020, 12:38 PM   #26
drunkenmeatfist
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : chipper

Quote:
Couldn't agree more. If I am baking a store bought pizza I block off an hour of time so I can sit in my kitchen and monitor the oven throughout the cook. There is literally zero market for any type of set and forget cooker. Probably the most dangerous thing anyone could ever do too.
drunkenmeatfist is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2020, 12:43 PM   #27
SlickRockStones
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Gary

Seems to me that Weber used grease fires to sell the Smokefire when they had everybody over for NY Strips back in November. Now we get briskets catching fire even when set to much lower smoking temps. Should this turn out to be a widespread problem I would love to see how they keep grease from catching fire when there’s an open flame that’s fan enduced.
SlickRockStones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2020, 12:43 PM   #28
rwalters
Babbling Farker

Quote:

Man, by that standard... after 25 plus years of leaving pellet grills, kamados, WSM’s, kettles, sous vides, ovens and crockpots unmanned... I must be the dumbest person on earth! Is there a “Dumbest Brethren” contest? Ready to claim my prize [emoji12]

Old 02-16-2020, 01:11 PM   #29
sudsandswine
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Good thing nobody suggested that

Old 02-16-2020, 05:15 PM   #30
ss4825
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : ss4825

Out of all the negative reviews I have read the only one that concerns me is the hopper design not working as planned.