MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-17-2020, 05:44 PM   #16
kickedaside05
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Flash

I'm in the same boat as TravelingJ. I never went hungry as a kid but there wasn't extra for sure. Now with good budgeting and saving I like some of the nicer stuff. However it doesn't matter how fancy it looks if you can't produce good food. Start slow and figure out if it is even something you enjoy doing before buying that shinny new thing. I can't stand wasting money or time.

Thanks from: --->

Old 02-17-2020, 06:55 PM   #17
Grain Belt
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
I know exactly what you mean.I would venture to wager that Not ONE of those women nor their husbands will ever cook a meal in their lifetime that can compare to meals prepared by Cowgirl and that Trusty Tractor Rim!
Hoss=truth
Grain Belt is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-17-2020, 07:10 PM   #18
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

These might have the look the wives are looking for.

https://www.norcalovenworks.com

http://azbbqgrills.com

Maybe I can sell my wife on one of these - "see how aesthetically pleasing they are, honey? I just want you to be happy"
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
SPFP
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2020, 08:47 PM   #19
Smoke on Badger Mountain
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Josh

Fancy looking cookers don't make great BBQ. Great bbq cooks do! I would never be without a Weber kettle. I do have pit envy sometimes especially here in Qtalk. But I am very happy with my kettle(s) homemade stick burner and my UDS. However, if I had a Jambo J5 parked in my driveway that might be a bit of a status symbol. HAHA!

24"x48" Custom Offset, 22" Weber Kettle , Camp Chef 2 burner w/ griddle. One very ugly drum, Nice drum coming soon.
Instagram @lumberjacksmokestack
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIa...0Zcup0pvXobQlQ
Smoke on Badger Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2020, 06:15 AM   #20
LordRiffenstein
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Yoeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlsportster View Post
Now, here’s the other side.

A few years ago the only grill I had was a cheap gasser. I bought a Traeger on a whim at Costco and the rest is history. If they get the bug those will work fine too.
THIS!
I started with a simple charcoal grill, learned about smoking and L&S and bought a Traeger. The rest is history and in my signature

Old 02-18-2020, 07:22 AM   #21
Grain Belt
is one Smokin' Farker

Another factor that the women at work mentioned is that the grill would often be used for burgers, hot dogs and chicken breasts. It looks like pellet technology might be heading this way but doesn’t seem to be the strong suit for many pellet grills currently in the market. A $170 Weber Q grill might be better than their current grill but wouldn’t be much of a smoker. Just like good tools, you need to pick the right one for the job. And tools can be status symbols too!
Grain Belt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2020, 07:59 PM   #22
JWFokker

Name/Nickname : Anon

Many people fall into the fallacy that more expensive = better. They really believe the more they spend the better the end result. Drum smokers prove this to be completely false. Unfortunately a lot of the industry relies on this to sling overpriced cookers.
JWFokker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2020, 08:09 PM   #23
Bigpappa1

Name/Nickname : Zachary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grain Belt View Post
I overheard several people at work talking about grills. They were mentioning Traeger pellet grills and Big Green Eggs. All three people talking were women and they all had common, cheap gas grills. They wanted to buy an upgrade for their husbands. They saw me listening and said, “We’ve had your food at parties, we want our husbands to do stuff like that.” I told them that everything I have cooked for parties (Ham, Turkey, Chicken, Chuckies, Pulled Pork, Wings, ABT’s, etc) has come off of a 20+ year old Weber kettle. They were shocked. I said you can go to a store and buy a Weber kettle for $100-$180, get a few bags of charcoal and a bag of apple or cherry wood chunks and then could get after it. I then said if you want to go cheaper you could also go the craigslist/marketplace/let go route and get a kettle for $20-40 bucks and clean it up with Easy Off oven cleaner. Then grab a few new grates if needed and then wait for the big box charcoal sales this spring and buy ten bags or so and then cut your own hardwood chunks from a local source. The ladies smiled at me and then said, “We love your food but we want a grill that will look nice when we have people over.” I just mentioned that I have had really good food off of Eggs and Traegers and then said I would be happy to share recipes and rubs/sauces if they ever had the need. Oh well. I thought I was giving them the key to BBQ zen but to each their own. The hobby is great fun regardless of what people like and how they get there.
I totally get it and I'm guilty as well. I started with an 18" Weber kettle, an oven thermometer, and a dial meat thermometer. I didn't have a clue what I was doing, but I loved doing it. I "graduated" to an el cheapo smoker that I modified the hell out of to get to work well. It wasn't until my wife and I got married that she got me my WSM. Now I'm looking at stick burners and I have a hard time settling for anything less than the best, partly due to the fact that I want bragging rights. I get wanting a good looking unit on your deck or patio when company is over. At the same time, I hear what you are saying. I still have my 18" Weber kettle. I feel like food cooked from the heart, made with what you have because you want to do it, is far better than food turned off of the most fancy and up to date rigs out there. Nothing beats food made with love.
Bigpappa1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2020, 08:45 PM   #24
BGEChicago
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Greg
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordRiffenstein View Post
THIS!
I started with a simple charcoal grill, learned about smoking and L&S and bought a Traeger. The rest is history and in my signature
This kinda rings true for me, I bought a Brinkman gasser and a weber, I used to "smoke" my ribs for 30 minutes then transfer to the oven to cook (please don't hate) I knew I wanted to expand and up my game. When I went to look for my permanent vessel I wanted a company that would stand behind their product, see I'm a kid from the 70's when sh!t actually lasted even if it wasn't cheap. This drew me to the BGE, look I have seen the cooks here and the rigs, I realize I might be a outsider but any company that sells ceramics and offers free replacements is kinda great to me... Hell I'd buy a pellet pooper or stick burner, truth is I'm too damn lazy

Thanks,
Greg

Elmhurst, IL
BGEChicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2020, 11:40 PM   #25
Bacchus2b
is one Smokin' Farker

I was building an outdoor kitchen in my last house and found a Grill Shop going out of business and liquidating their inventory of real Lynx Grills for 50% off of retail.

I bought one of course along with an infrared side burner and loved them to death, but not a single visitor over the next five years recognized that I had a $5,500 built in grill. I did get kudos for well cooked food, but no love for the Lynx.... It made me extremely happy and that was enough.
Cookshack FEC-100
Weber Summit 420 Gasser
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber 26" Kettle
PK Classic Grill
Bacchus2b is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2020, 11:56 PM   #26
FLHX
Knows what a fatty is.

been using a weber kettle for ever. built a uds after burning out a cheap stick burner. my buddies all got yoder and treager pellet poopers...they look great on their decks, but they are all still pissed when I show up to a gathering with various meats I've prepared on the "cheap" pits.

Old 02-20-2020, 06:57 AM   #27
Turkey Shack
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : BEN

I started on a WSM knockoff that I had gotten 3rd hand and a 2nd hand Weber gas grill. They both came to the end of their life / my wife didn't like them uglying up the background of the pictures of the kids. I used it as an excuse to get a Weber Genesis and a Green Mountain Pellet cooker. After 2 years of consistent food from a pellet cooker I tracked down a reverse flow and I'm loving it when I have the time to babysit it. I would love to get a fancy unit from Shirley or one of the many other amazing pit builders but that is strictly for my vanity.
Turkey Shack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2020, 07:04 AM   #28
TxQGuy
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Big C

It's funny how the definition of a "status symbol" pit/grill varies from person. Some want fancy, state-of-the-art pellet rigs, or ones that can be left to set and forget, with the temperature monitored over WiFi.

For me personally, my status symbol pit would be an OBSCENELY massive offset. 3/4" pipe steel with a smokestack taller than my eaves, all sorts of cool custom designs welded on. It could fit 6 briskets, 12 racks of spares, and 10 whole chickens at a time. A monster that weighs in at several thousand pounds and can only be moved by trailering it up to an F-350.

Yes, dear Brethren...that would be a status symbol pit indeed. I'll likely never get it, unless I hit the Lotto. Which is fine, really, because I do love my stick burner. She is a stout, custom made rig that has a lovely state of Texas welded to her 7' smokestack cover, and a shelf made from the same red oak that I use to fuel her. Ol' Reliable...you can still turn my head, honey.
#22 Jumbo Old Smokey Charcoal Grill - "Long Tall Sally"

Red Oak is still Oak
TxQGuy is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2020, 08:45 AM   #29
TC Smoke & Que
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

Its All About The Cook!
I started years ago on a Weber Kettle, worked to learn the unit and produce the best I could with it; and then went to the ECB when they came out. I have used it untill I could see the smoke through the walls, then got another.
The ECB became a limited unit as I wanted a better cook ( which is all I am really after) and knew that it really was too much work to babysit it. Its limitations became frustrating to the point I almost quit.
I have been in love with my "Dream Smoker", the Meadowcreek BX50. When I first saw it, it was the smoker I built in my mind, but reality dictated that it is too expensive right now.

I decided the next best for me would be the WSM 22, and I did shamelessly drop hints, which my wife took to heart and surprised me this past Christmas with it. And Yes, I do Love it and am enjoying the learning it.

But, as always straight to the point, I just want to produce the best cook I can, and I will take what I have and hone my skills with it. After all, isnt that what it is all about?
TC Smoke & Que is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2020, 08:47 AM   #30
Baychilla
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

I'm not sure if the people mentioned in the OP were looking for a status symbol as perhaps more interested in form over function. Possibly more concerned with looks than how the thing works.
Baychilla is offline   Reply With Quote