lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
For the Fast Food Throwdown here -
https://bbq-brethren.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283023

My entry: a White Castle Slider replication. White Castle website pic -

QZ8EpzM.png

First thing to mention - there are no White Castle fast food restaurants here in New England. I grew up in New York and there were none near me, although there was one in Queens literally across the street from where my aunt lived. We'd always make a trip across the street anytime we visited. Sad to say, the last time I had a White Castle Slider was when I was a teen. A long, long time ago. :tongue:

I'm not attempting to authenticate taste as I can't recall what they taste like. But they're still popular and many sites on the web try to recreate them as best as possible. Not my intent here. I'm going more for technique.

So here goes. I seasoned some 80/20 beef, rolled it out between two pieces of waxed paper super thin and attempted to poke the dice pattern holes in it while the meat was still soft with a straw. It didn't really do the trick other than mark where the holes go. For those not familiar with White Castle, the slider patties are steamed over a bed of onions. The holes allow the steam to pass through and allow the patties to cook through without being flipped.

I placed the patties in the freezer for about 45 minutes to firm up, then poked my holes -

hpi88Ul.jpg

using the end of a beater which worked well -

umC707O.jpg

So far, so good.

White Castle uses dehydrated onions for their sliders, rehydrating them with water so they steam. I wasn't about to buy dehydrated onions, so I went with the real thing, diced very small and out onto the Blackstone to steam with a lot of water. We want these to steam, not fry -

BXFCLyP.jpg

Gotta have Fries, and White Castle serves Crinkle Cut so I will also -

S7YECiJ.jpg

Once the onions start steaming sufficiently, place the slider patties on top (yeah, that one in the right front is ticking me off too) -

OnZVBQD.jpg

Slider buns go on top of the meat, to help trap the steam. I simply used some Hamburger buns I've had in the freezer cut to size. (And some hot dog buns since I only had a pack of 8 buns). As a reminder to myself, frozen hamburger buns pretty much suck once they're thawed no matter what you do to them. But since this is an experiment I figured it won't matter.

BTW, I'm the only one eating these since the Mrs won't touch anything with onions. No road trips to White Castle for her. :tongue:

THOrvMV.jpg

tijWHKZ.jpg

After about 6 to 8 minutes, they're done. Since I like cheese, I've added a piece of Cheddar, the obligatory Pickle and Ketchup -

EmMMWmB.jpg

KrIId5D.jpg

CXmTFHK.jpg

OK, so how were they?

Pretty darn good. Steaming a burger isn't my ideal method of cooking one, but since the slider is so darn thin, it works well. Taste was good, the onion wasn't overpowering at all. About the only thing I'd do different is buy or make actual slider buns. The ratio of bread to meat was a bit too much.

Anyway, that's it. Dom's take on the famous White Castle Slider. And for those wondering, Harold and Kumar did not show up in my backyard today. :mrgreen:

Thanks for reading through this post, hope you found it as enjoyable as I did making these.

Regards,
-lunchman

Nailed it! You’ll know it’s authentic if you’re burping up grilled onions all night long...

Nicely done! :clap2:

There aren't any White Castles in KC anymore, but there's one in Columbia MO off i70, so I always make a point to stop and grab a briefcase of sliders on my way to St Louis. They make for good late night hotel room snacks to soak up the booze :becky:

Looks great. They now sell a plastic tool that puts the holes in the burgers. These have become quite the rage on the Blackstone forums.

Looks great. They now sell a plastic tool that puts the holes in the burgers. These have become quite the rage on the Blackstone forums.

Interesting. I had a crazy thought of using a template I have which pokes holes through a quarter sheet of sandpaper for dust collection. Thought quickly abandoned. :tongue:

Love it! And loved those as a kid growing up in STL!

Nice Dom, I'll take half a dozen to go san's pickles just like I used to get them at 3am a long time ago.

We have Krystal down here, same type burger sans the holes, and I can eat those by the sack full. I never thought I would see White Castle in a TD, my hat is off to you for the uniqueness. I'd say that was an accurate cook!

Looks good from here. The big question is did they perform the same as the famous Rectal Rockets?

Looks good from here. The big question is did they perform the same as the famous Rectal Rockets?

Hopefully not. :grin:

Two things I wish I'd done:

(1) Used better rolls. I did find slider rolls in the market but went with what I had on hand.

(2) Watched a video on how to get these off the griddle beforehand. I pulled them off, flipped them onto a cutting board and then put the top bun on. Not efficient and quite messy.

A WC video shows the cook pulling them off the griddle and placing the top bun under the spatula, then sliding the burger off the spatula in one motion. Then they're turned over right side up. I guess I need to go to WC School.

Still fun to make and I'm glad folks enjoyed the post. For those who are longing for WC sliders, give these a try. Blackstone not absolutely necessary.

Dom,

Wow did you nail that!!! You put some serious effort in there.
We have the castle all around us.... I'll go once a year...

Thanks
Greg

Nicely done! :clap2:

There aren't any White Castles in KC anymore, but there's one in Columbia MO off i70, so I always make a point to stop and grab a briefcase of sliders on my way to St Louis. They make for good late night hotel room snacks to soak up the booze :becky:

I've actually never admitted it to anyone before...but I also stop at this White Castle on my I70 road trips.

We have Krystal down here, same type burger sans the holes, and I can eat those by the sack full. I never thought I would see White Castle in a TD, my hat is off to you for the uniqueness. I'd say that was an accurate cook!

Of all the fast food options I'd have expected...I'd have never expected this. Highly amused, it's going to be hard to top this one from a cleverness factor alone.

Interesting. I had a crazy thought of using a template I have which pokes holes through a quarter sheet of sandpaper for dust collection. Thought quickly abandoned. :tongue:

I had the exact same thought. I was using my sander yesterday..for actual sanding, though.

Back