MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-02-2020, 05:04 PM   #31
KevinJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWFokker View Post
They are indeed pretty utilitarian. Cookshacks aren't pretty either. Both are top tier cookers. I think it's funny that Weber took some pretty obvious inspiration from Mak and then gussied it up a bit.
If I didn't have a 1 Star which to me doesn't look like any other grill on the market especially a gasser, I'd own a PG 500. They don't look as cool as the Yoder with comp cart, but utility and performance wise they look fantastic to me.
WGA

:plane: [SIZE="2"][I]All American Moinkballer[/I][/SIZE] 🇺🇸
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2020, 06:57 PM   #32
Curt.P
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokare View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't like the look of the MAKs? They look very... gas grill to me.
I know this doesn't really matter but I am struggling with them visually.
Hold my beer

Last edited by Curt.P; 03-11-2021 at 04:42 PM..
Curt.P is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-02-2020, 07:11 PM   #33
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokare View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't like the look of the MAKs? They look very... gas grill to me.
I know this doesn't really matter but I am struggling with them visually.
Matters to me. That's why I bought the 1 Star.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2020, 09:52 PM   #34
tom b

I'm ok with the gasser look, it was actually a consideration

Old 06-02-2020, 11:56 PM   #35
ASAT
Knows what a fatty is.

Another vote for the RecTec Bull, solid build, great warranty, best value for features and money, and it cooks awesome. Long as everyone is posting a pic.....

Last edited by ASAT; 06-20-2020 at 02:03 PM..
ASAT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2020, 03:20 PM   #36
Barryda
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Name/Nickname : Barry

Hello. This is my first post on this forum. I am pleased that the first thread I've read is asking some of the same questions I have.
I have read about several pellet smoker/grills. I see that the GMG controller is 110V/12V and understand that concept. Just not sure if that is something I would need.
The RECTEC 590 looks like it will fit my needs but the GMG DB is less costly.
Any further info will be greatly appreciated.
Barryda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2020, 06:07 PM   #37
TheFury
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Fury

A buddy of mine just got the Camp Chef Woodwind WiFi 24” with the sear box attachment and is very happy with it. Can’t say I’m not envious! Might be worth a look
TheFury is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2020, 07:28 PM   #38
STLBBQer
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAT View Post
Another vote for the RecTec Bull, solid build, great warranty, best value for features and money, and it cooks awesome. Long as everyone is posting a pic.....
I don’t know...I just love a big, solid counterweight on mine for that big heavy lid with insulator.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0F10D40A-0CF8-480B-B570-1AD00EAF4698.jpg (29.3 KB, 105 views)
WGA Charcoal
Genesis SA-E-325s

BGW Grand Slam
Pit Barrel Cooker
STLBBQer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2020, 07:46 PM   #39
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLBBQer View Post
I don’t know...I just love a big, solid counterweight on mine for that big heavy lid with insulator.
That is a sexy cooker!

SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2020, 07:54 PM   #40
STLBBQer
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
That is a sexy cooker!

Let’s be honest...they’re all sexy. None of us can get enough.
WGA Charcoal
Genesis SA-E-325s

BGW Grand Slam
Pit Barrel Cooker
STLBBQer is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-04-2020, 08:55 AM   #41
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barryda View Post
Hello. This is my first post on this forum. I am pleased that the first thread I've read is asking some of the same questions I have.
I have read about several pellet smoker/grills. I see that the GMG controller is 110V/12V and understand that concept. Just not sure if that is something I would need.
The RECTEC 590 looks like it will fit my needs but the GMG DB is less costly.
Any further info will be greatly appreciated.
Hi Got my Rec tec 590 a few weeks ago..Best $$ I could have spent on a pellet smoker. Did an 10hr over night help temps all night long.Built really good. Customer service has been top notch! I only did 5 cooks on it, only problem could have been more smoke flavor. Spend the extra $$ and thank me later.
DanB

Old 06-04-2020, 09:39 AM   #42
Sooner21
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
Hi Got my Rec tec 590 a few weeks ago..Best $$ I could have spent on a pellet smoker. Did an 10hr over night help temps all night long.Built really good. Customer service has been top notch! I only did 5 cooks on it, only problem could have been more smoke flavor. Spend the extra $$ and thank me later.
DanB

Hi Dan - pellet smokers are designed to be able to hold temps overnight. That's what they do - it isn't 590 specific.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sooner21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2020, 09:45 AM   #43
TosaJake
On the road to being a farker

i owned a Yoder and loved it, but capacity was not big enough at the time, so traded for a Lonestargrillz IVC, If your looking for a pellet smoker only, I would check out Smoke Daddy's vertical pellet smoker, I have seriously considered buying one myself.

http://smokedaddyinc.com/product-cat...pellet-grills/

Old 06-04-2020, 10:04 AM   #44
PatAttack

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
DanB
Dan, have you tried the "smoke" setting yet to see if it gives you more smoke flavor? I haven't had the chance to use that feature.

22" WSM
22" Weber Gold
Weber Smoky Joe
Weber Gasser
Rec-Tec 590
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2020, 10:54 AM   #45
darita
is One Chatty Farker

MAK's controller program is designed to produce tons of smoke flavor, which it does, very well. I had to use smoke generators with my other pellet smokers, but once I got the MAK, the smoke generators were totally unnecessary.
I can't understand why the myth of "all pellet grills produce light smoke flavor" persists, even though many have posted differently.