• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Thermometers and Temperature Control

bbqfred

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Hi All,

I need to get a better handle on my grill and smoker temperatures so I can reliably recreate meals when guests come.

To that end, I started looking on Amazon.com for probes and thermometers.

NONE of the grill thermometers got good reviews.
None of the probes including taylor, polder, etc got universally good reviews.

And so then I started looking at automatic temperature controllers ...
The iQue 110 seems to be easy to install on Weber Kettles.
The Stoker is really neat and cost more than my WSM! It seems to have gromets that fit where my standard screw holes for the WSM are making running probes inside easy.
And the BBQ Guru is out there too.

But I don't necessarily need the automatic temperature controllers yet. I just want to know what temperature my meat is at and what the grill temperature is. I wouldn't mind having a good thermometer at the top of my kettle either. None of the reviews on amazon are very good for those either.

I see two more options --
The laser infrared heat guns which got reasonable reviews.
And the thermapens which get rave reviews.

Any suggestions? I can't seem to decide on anything.

I think you would be fine with a Maverick ET-732, some of the Brethren here sell it. Infrared thermo is not what you want, only reads surface temps. I have one, but only use it to read the temp of my pizza stone. Thermapen is a fantastic tool, but sounds like the Maverick should be your first purchase.

+1 on the Maverick. Got mine from 5-0 BBQ - great place to get stuff.

You might also want to get in the habit of sticking your hand over the exhaust vents, feeling the heat and getting used to gauging heat that way as well. :thumb:

I think you would be fine with a Maverick ET-732, some of the Brethren here sell it. Infrared thermo is not what you want, only reads surface temps. I have one, but only use it to read the temp of my pizza stone. Thermapen is a fantastic tool, but sounds like the Maverick should be your first purchase.

+1

I own 2 - Mavericks. An ET-73 (older model) and a ET-732
I also own a Thermapen
Because I am somewhat anal - I also own several Taylor oven thermos (CHEAP - LIKE 3.99 EACH) that sit on the grate in my smoker ( to monitor temp zones across the smoker)

The Maverick's are great for all night cooks and i want to get some sleep, as they have dual probes and set points & alarms.

The Thermapen is best at what is is designed for: Accurate, superfast temp checks.

I just bought the RT600C Super-Fast Waterproof Pocket Thermometer, from thermoworks. 58 to 302°F in 6 Seconds. We did a group buy at work. Buy 5 and they are $15 each. Rated #1 on Americas test kitchen TV show, for low cost thermometers. Couldn't get myself to pay the price for the thermapen.

I also just purchaed the pitmaster IQ 110 controller. Going to try it out on some spared this weekend.

I already have Maverick ET-732. It works great.

Love my ET-732. Looking at purchasing two more actually. Now have two thermapens as well. Both are money well spent.

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

As many have already said I love Maverick 732 Going to order a second one !! my second best BBQ item to date....after my UDS !

pwa

I agree with all the above. The Maverick 732 is a must have in my book. I also have the IQ 110 and for the price and what it does is hard to beat.

Owned two Mavericks, last one a 732 - threw them both away. Changed probes, etc - but always wi d up with some kind of error message. Just unlucky with thermos.

+1 on the Maverick. Got mine from 5-0 BBQ - great place to get stuff.
Thanks for the kind words. Brethren dont for get to use your coupon code when ordering stuff bbq-brethren2011 to save another 5% off.

We have the ET-732 $59.99 plus free shipping and save another $3.00 with your coupon code.

I just bought the RT600C Super-Fast Waterproof Pocket Thermometer, from thermoworks. 58 to 302°F in 6 Seconds. We did a group buy at work. Buy 5 and they are $15 each. Rated #1 on Americas test kitchen TV show, for low cost thermometers. Couldn't get myself to pay the price for the thermapen.

I also just purchaed the pitmaster IQ 110 controller. Going to try it out on some spared this weekend.

I already have Maverick ET-732. It works great.

what he said. I've been saying this for a while... but I don't understand buying a Thermapen. The RT600C is great... at almost 1/4 of the price of a Thermapen. I don't get to argue about which Thermapen color is the best or fastest, but I can live with that.

I have a Maverick ET-7 and an ET-73. The range on them did not impress initially, until I did the extended range mod by soldering in antennas for each unit. The range is now beautiful and I can monitor temps on my UDS or other grills anywhere in the house (2 storeys, brick walls). I am using my orginal probes which have seen about 4years of moderate use (about once a week).

I think many folks have screwed in an Old Smokey type thermometer into the lid or even dropped a turkey thermometer in through a top vent to get grate temps.

Thanks to all who replied. I'll give the Maverick and Thermapen a try and see how that improves things.

In a somewhat related question, I'm finding that I have a much harder time controlling temperature on my new 22.5" Weber Kettle than I do on the 18.5" that I inherited. The 18.5" I've been using now for 3 years and I find I get awesome results on it. I don't know if it's because it's seasoned with a layer of grease on the inside, or if it's because of the difference in size?

I use mesquite lump, I have a lot of different sizes. I'm wondering if a single layer of kingsford might give me more consistency on the 22.5.

In a somewhat related question, I'm finding that I have a much harder time controlling temperature on my new 22.5" Weber Kettle than I do on the 18.5" that I inherited. The 18.5" I've been using now for 3 years and I find I get awesome results on it. I don't know if it's because it's seasoned with a layer of grease on the inside, or if it's because of the difference in size?

I use mesquite lump, I have a lot of different sizes. I'm wondering if a single layer of kingsford might give me more consistency on the 22.5.

Are you asking about cooking indirect or direct on the 22.5" kettle?

Maybe this link will help out:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114896&highlight=cooking+indirect+weber+kettle

22.5"

Are you asking about cooking indirect or direct on the 22.5" kettle?

Maybe this link will help out:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114896&highlight=cooking+indirect+weber+kettle

Mostly, I'm having trouble controlling temperatures with direct cooking on the 22.5". When I close the bottom dampers down, and put the lid on -- I nearly extinguish the fire.

When I open the bottom dampers half way or even closed, I get a super hot fire.

Mostly, I'm having trouble controlling temperatures with direct cooking on the 22.5". When I close the bottom dampers down, and put the lid on -- I nearly extinguish the fire.

When I open the bottom dampers half way or even closed, I get a super hot fire.
It's the small changes that make a difference.

Try opening your vents wide open on the lid, and barely cracked on the bottom of the bowl.
Start with a half chimney of charcoal or use the minion method.

You should settle in about 250- 275 like this after about 1/2 hour.

I love my yellow Thermapen:-D and can't live without my Maverick ET-732:cool:

Back