MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-19-2009, 10:27 AM   #1
Burk504
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Converting ECB into a mini UDS

I have done the standard mods that everyone suggests for the ECB and find it still needs fuel added every 30-45 minutes, which is a major pain in the arse. I added a charcoal basket to try and fix that (see pic below) but because there is so much air flow in these beasts, I couldn't get below 350 and even broke 415 once!!! Useless!

Now I am considering removing the legs altogether and converting this thing into a mini UDS. Has anyone ever done that? Can't find a thread for it on here.

Update: For some reason the pic didn't come through. here is a link to it.
http://twitpic.com/ib0ql

Last edited by Burk504; 09-19-2009 at 11:50 AM.. Reason: bad pic link
Burk504 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2009, 11:07 AM   #2
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Don't know of a thread about that conversion. It would take a lot of work to seal all the air, IMO. The pic here is a little box with a red x in it.

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2009, 11:54 AM   #3
Burk504
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat Burner View Post
It would take a lot of work to seal all the air, IMO.
If I took the legs off and the 'barrel' sat flat on the ground, wouldn't that seal it? I may need to raise the water pan up a bit, but that is easy.

Also, is it feasible to use a few small air holes in the side to control the air flow? I could block up holes until there was just the right amount coming in.

Old 09-19-2009, 12:00 PM   #4
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'm not sure the effort would be worth the results. The ECB with the mods can turn out some decent bbq. If you want a small UDS, you could just get yourself a 30 gallon drum and build one. The results might be a little more to your liking.

Or in Pirate Talk:

I be nay sure th' effort would be worth th' results. Th' ECB wi' th' mods can turn ou' some decent bbq. If ye want a wee UDS, ye could jus' get yersef a 30 gallon drum an' build one. Th' results might be a wee more t' yer likin'.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2009, 12:01 PM   #5
Meat Burner

Burk, a few brethren on here have build mini drums from actual drums. You might do a search and get some input from there. Just my opinion, but I think setting it on the ground without somehow sealing it better would allow too much air. The door, the top, are all going to create air leaks I am sure it can be done and would be a whole lot better that what you have now. I am just thinking a mini would be real air intake critical. Keep after it, you can get it done!!

NB Bandera with mods
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ

Old 09-19-2009, 12:06 PM   #6
Meat Burner

MOS, I tend to agree with Larry but around here we all like a real challenge. Just a thought, if you could fine something to use as a lit, could you possible take the legs off and somehow attach to the lid for a base for the the barrel part to fit in and create a seal with some mods. It would have to be an air tight fit. Just throwing that out.

NB Bandera with mods
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ

Old 09-19-2009, 12:30 PM   #7
ipls3355
is one Smokin' Farker

Are you using the minion method on your burn? I can get 4 hours out of a pan on mine. And have pretty good results on temp with a full water pan. I start with only 6 lit briquettes in a full load of K.

Crankin out Q on my ECB since 2005
UDS born September, 2007
22" Weber Kettle
18" Weber Kettle
ipls3355 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2009, 12:37 PM   #8
Burk504
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipls3355 View Post
Are you using the minion method on your burn? I can get 4 hours out of a pan on mine. And have pretty good results on temp with a full water pan. I start with only 6 lit briquettes in a full load of K.
Chris, you may have nailed it for me. I did use the minion method for my test but used natural lump (which does burn hotter than K) and maybe started out with too many lit.

I have taken the legs off already, so I am going for a test run. The only airflow in from the bottom will be through the 6 holes that were used to originally mount the legs. Lets see what sort of burn length and temp control I can get out of that.

Wish me luck.

Old 09-19-2009, 12:44 PM   #9
ipls3355
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burk504 View Post
Chris, you may have nailed it for me. I did use the minion method for my test but used natural lump (which does burn hotter than K) and maybe started out with too many lit.

I have taken the legs off already, so I am going for a test run. The only airflow in from the bottom will be through the 6 holes that were used to originally mount the legs. Lets see what sort of burn length and temp control I can get out of that.

Wish me luck.
http://www.randyq.addr.com/ecb/ecbmods.html

Here are the mods I made to my ECB.

Crankin out Q on my ECB since 2005
UDS born September, 2007
22" Weber Kettle
18" Weber Kettle
ipls3355 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2009, 06:36 PM   #10
82muchhomework
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipls3355 View Post
http://www.randyq.addr.com/ecb/ecbmods.html

Here are the mods I made to my ECB.
I just recently made the same mods. It works well with briquettes (minion method). Holds temp well. I'm actually kind of surprised it does so well.
82muchhomework is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2009, 07:07 PM   #11
Beerwolf
Take a breath!

one question. WHY??.. time wise you could have probably built a UDS using many parts from your ECB... go get a weber from Freecycle or Craigs and do it.. I was in the same dillema, stuck in ECB mode and I finally went for it and havent looked back since

Old 09-19-2009, 08:54 PM   #12
mbshop
Babbling Farker

you can just use a weber smokey joe as the coal burner. need to make the legs a little longer on the ecb. i used a weber vent wheel on the lid and you need to use foil made into a rope to seal the lid. works fine after that.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:17 AM   #13
Burk504
Knows what a fatty is.

I ran a test last night with a full basket unlit and 8 lit coals to get the party started. I still had some high temp issues (260-280) but this baby burned for 6 hours. The bottom is sealed pretty well, so only a little air is coming in through the side door. My lid has a very poor seal, so if I seal that up well with gasket or foil, would that help keep the temp down? I still don't fully understand all of the physics behind this concept.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:24 PM   #14
Burk504
Knows what a fatty is.

I did another test today and got 7 hours of 200-250. The trick to keeping the temp lower was stuffing rolled up aluminum foil around the lid to seal it a little better (thanks George!) I also put a brick in the charcoal basket to control the burn a bit. Those 2 changes were all it took to turn this into a much better smoker!

Old 09-21-2009, 02:33 AM   #15
Kickback BBQ on Guam
On the road to being a farker

We used an old fryer basket and put some legs on it for a fire basket. I cut some bigger holes in the bottom for ask to fall. With a little aluminum magic wrap we were able to keep it between 220-280 for about 4 hours Attachment 31496

Attachment 31497

Attachment 31498

The second time we used half as much charcoal and it worked alot better. I have some additional mods for the bottom air vent that should help consistency also.

Last edited by Kickback BBQ on Guam; 03-22-2015 at 11:03 PM..
Kickback BBQ on Guam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ecb, mod, uds