Observations of an old dude

lastmajordude

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Forgive me of my Sunday night observations.. I’ve had a lot of smokers and grills through my may years. But now in my old age I think I have settled on what I need to finish my years on this incredible time we call life. In my limited space I think I need a GREAT grilll, two stage charcoal lift on both left and right sides to be able to to sear on both or either sides..
front doors to be able to clean either or on with or both sides. An exhaust on sides.

Than the smoke side. I want vertical offset high quality stick burner. Something compact but like what shirley, boathouse or lsg offer. Ease of ash cleaning is importance. In short a great quality charcoal grill and a compact quality stick burner smoker.........Just my take on all this.......hopefully one day I can make it happen.....Just my take on a sunday night...Peace my brethren.

Another old dude here with another take. For me I've whittled it down to a serviceable propane grill for quick hot dogs, quick burgers and quick steaks; and a topnotch offset with cowboy firebox/grill for everything else. (The PK300 is going to my son now that I'm doing all my charcoal cooks on the 1969.)

Another old dude here with another take. For me I've whittled it down to a serviceable propane grill for quick hot dogs, quick burgers and quick steaks; and a topnotch offset with cowboy firebox/grill for everything else. (The PK300 is going to my son now that I'm doing all my charcoal cooks on the 1969.)

this is the direction I'm going. I really like the old school weber genesis i've had since 2002. its a great grill and part still available. at the moment I've got an OK Joe longhorn but a 1975 with cowboy firebox is a goal of mine. consolidate to a single smoker (still have a WSM also) and have a blackstone 36 as well. its a great combination to have the grill, flattop and the offset. who could ask for more??:clap2::clap2:

Good luck Dude. I hope you can make that happen. There are too many different types of meats and other food out there, and a guy needs to have options on how to cook them to enjoy all of the flavor options produced by different cookers.

while not exactly a vertical offset the Shirley patio model does offer a relatively small footprint. alongside a charcoal grill there should be plenty of room on. a standard patio.

Ain't it funny how every situation is different? I know this is a bbq forum and I absolutely love grilling and smoking however the most important piece of equipment on my patio is the big wood fired pizza oven.

I designed, then poured the concrete, built the gazebo, chose the fire pit table and furniture all based around "The Pizza oven is going here" lol. My wife has spent years perfecting her dough and nothing brings the whole clan together like pizza night. Vegetarians, young and old, everybody loves a good pie and we'll bang out a couple dozen large pies on a Saturday night, pizza night, easily. I even take pride in it as imho a couple dozen large Neapolitan pies is more of a challenge than a brisket.

Frankly I'll take ribs over pizza 95% of the time myself but when the kids are willing to drive for hours and they want pies, I'm making them! :)

Hope you don't mind another old guy musing along with ya :)

Dude, may your wishes come true. :-D

I'm retired and I think my current lineup of cookers will serve me well until I shuffle off this mortal coil.

I live with other rigs vicariously through this forum. :-D

I'm an old dude too. Live alone, cook for one with an occasional few friends. I don't need much. A good gasser and an electric smoker suit my needs. Way too old to stoke a fire and tend a 7 hr. cook nowadays. That'd interfere with nap time :mrgreen:

Well I am 74yo so I guess that classifies me as old and also retired. I am happy with my Egg, Gasser, and Flat Top. I do enjoy reading about other peoples cooks. Good Luck

77 here and I rarely think about it. (Except, maybe, when I try to put my socks on.) LOL the back yard is littered with cooking, grilling, smoking and pizza baking appliances and I use them intermittently.

Last edited:
I'm a few months over 40 and am still in the 'accumulation' phase of my journey. Glad you've made it to the mountain top.

I'm not old, at least that's what I keep telling myself, ailments argue with me daily also(47). I know when retirement hits and we make our final move farther south that I may not have room for 4 different cooking apparatuses. I believe 2 different size eggs could get me by, a medium and an XL. Or maybe a Weber charcoal and an XL. But I would be hard pressed to get by with just one.

Back