MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:34 AM   #12541
blockhd
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Rok

Darn, with all intakes open, I don't get it hot enough :-( I guess I messed the starting procedure :-)

Old 09-09-2015, 12:08 PM   #12542
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockhd View Post
Darn, with all intakes open, I don't get it hot enough :-( I guess I messed the starting procedure :-)
Find N8Man's thread on this. This is your starting point.

ETA: Here it is: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh....php?p=1682070

The BigMista mod is to fill your chimney halfway, instead of the 10-15 N8Man uses.

The pyro Mod is to leave the lid off after putting the fire basket in. I don't recommend this because you can burn up your fuel too fast (and possibly your surrounding areas), and lose control over your temps.

But depending on the wind conditions, you may have to use the SmokinJohn mod. Place one or two chimneys over the exhaust port.

One of these three will get those temps up.

Last edited by SmokinJohn; 09-09-2015 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: adding link
SmokinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-09-2015, 01:20 PM   #12543
blockhd
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Rok

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJohn View Post
Find N8Man's thread on this. This is your starting point.

ETA: Here it is: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh....php?p=1682070

The BigMista mod is to fill your chimney halfway, instead of the 10-15 N8Man uses.

The pyro Mod is to leave the lid off after putting the fire basket in. I don't recommend this because you can burn up your fuel too fast (and possibly your surrounding areas), and lose control over your temps.

But depending on the wind conditions, you may have to use the SmokinJohn mod. Place one or two chimneys over the exhaust port.

One of these three will get those temps up.
Thanks, man! I'll look into those!

I must admit, despite heavy problems, my chicken drums had a nice smoke ring around them, but i had to put them on a grill for a few minutes to finish. I was happy, but I know this is not what i am shooting for. There was pretty strong wind blowing... When the wind settled, my UDS settled aswell. I think i will be practicing more and more, and cook better and better food. Chicken drums are cheap starting point.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:25 PM   #12544
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

Great pics. Good to see this thread is still going.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:53 PM   #12545
ghatman
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Howdy! I am working on my 2nd UDS and found a great closed -lid organic coconut oil drum (unlined). I don't want to use a Weber lid, but want to fabricate my own. I am considering a 16 ga plate with a welded 1" ring around the edge and another ring about 10" diameter to add some stiffener near the center.
Does anyone have some advice for fabricating the lid? My friend tried the same concept, but there was a lot of smoke escaping out the side and could not get the temps to drop, even with most of the intakes closed.

Thanks!
ghatman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2015, 04:16 AM   #12546
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghatman View Post
Howdy! I am working on my 2nd UDS and found a great closed -lid organic coconut oil drum (unlined). I don't want to use a Weber lid, but want to fabricate my own. I am considering a 16 ga plate with a welded 1" ring around the edge and another ring about 10" diameter to add some stiffener near the center.
Does anyone have some advice for fabricating the lid? My friend tried the same concept, but there was a lot of smoke escaping out the side and could not get the temps to drop, even with most of the intakes closed.
Thanks!
Using another section of a drum would be easier and should fit very well if done correctly. The smaller ring welded inside the top would take away from the 1" ring you would be using for height. And not give you much extra space if that make sense. I don't think you would need a stiffener. If you have a beading tool, you could roll stiffeners into the top with the raised section on the top/out side of the lid. Just a thought
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:50 AM   #12547
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghatman View Post

Thanks!
http://turnerbiodiesel.com/8_gallon_55_gallon_drum_cone
SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2015, 03:47 PM   #12548
wdpope1
Got Wood.

built my cousins UDS w/2 racks high lid fom 2nd drum and painted it last weekend fired it up last saturday season burn with wild cherryat 350 for 3 hrs then backed down to 250 tried to go lower but it wanted to hold at 250 so threw on 2 fatties 1 naked 1 bacon wrapped seasoned the MOINK BALLS have to say best MOINK~s I have done yet. it held 250 like a champ.
friday night smoked 21 ponds of butt sauced 1/2 other half sliced had 27 people at uncles for bone fire and hay rides no one left hungry
UDS rule
wdpope1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2015, 04:13 PM   #12549
wdpope1
Got Wood.

here is some pron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0487.jpg (92.6 KB, 742 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0488.jpg (116.1 KB, 745 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0490.jpg (74.8 KB, 737 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0491.jpg (61.6 KB, 744 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0492.jpg (73.4 KB, 742 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0494.jpg (58.5 KB, 743 views)
wdpope1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-22-2015, 03:10 PM   #12550
The Smok'n Barrels
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default UDS Newbie

New to the UDS Forum. Been Smok'n for about a year. Have built 2 UDS. Look forward to learning and sharing. Added some pictures of this past weekend's cook.

The Smok'n Barrels
I'm just a simple man, trying to make my way in the universe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uds.jpg (72.0 KB, 706 views)
File Type: jpg uds-2.jpg (80.2 KB, 704 views)
File Type: jpg uds-1.jpg (70.2 KB, 703 views)
File Type: jpg uds-3.jpg (85.8 KB, 703 views)
File Type: jpg uds-4.jpg (29.1 KB, 706 views)
File Type: jpg uds-5.jpg (41.8 KB, 699 views)
The Smok'n Barrels is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2015, 10:06 AM   #12551
RT
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Smok'n Barrels View Post
New to the UDS Forum. Been Smok'n for about a year. Have built 2 UDS. Look forward to learning and sharing. Added some pictures of this past weekend's cook.

The Smok'n Barrels
I'm just a simple man, trying to make my way in the universe.

Looking good!
RT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2015, 11:08 PM   #12552
CharlieAlphaMike
Got rid of the matchlight.

Ok ... Time for my first serious UDS post ...

Looking at building my first UDS... One small problem I've encounted is that all the 55's I've found are from scrap yards and beyond repair but I have located a plethora of 44's.

Has anyone tried a 44 build and is there any difference between the two in regards to cook times ...
Obviously sizing is going to be a factor with space for racks and fire pit size ...

Thanks for the input !!
CharlieAlphaMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2015, 04:17 AM   #12553
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieAlphaMike View Post
One small problem I've encounted is that all the 55's I've found are from scrap yards and beyond repair but I have located a plethora of 44's. Has anyone tried a 44 build and is there any difference between the two in regards to cook times ...
Obviously sizing is going to be a factor with space for racks and fire pit size ...

Thanks for the input !!
As long as you can either build or buy grates to fit and make a coal basket, no problem at all. From 16 gal/30 gal on up.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2015, 04:22 AM   #12554
Tharg
Found some matches.

Going to make my first UDS, got a 200 Litre Drum with a removeable lid and clip. Im in the UK so are there any threads specific to the UK folks with regards to sourcing parts available here?
Im hoping to get it ready for new years eve so everyone can bring in the new year with pulled pork barms and loads of beer
Tharg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2015, 01:18 PM   #12555
Tharg
Found some matches.

Burned it out last night. Going for as easy as possible build using kiss method. It's winter here in uk so I managed to find a 57cm kettle bbq for £20 which I plan to use the parts for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (36.8 KB, 658 views)
Tharg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker