Pork Butt

smokedinvt

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Rather than hijack a thread originally posted by Keverthred, I thought I would start a new one.
I am in the same boat as far as what to tackle next. I have done a chicken, turkey, meat loaf, pork chops, chicken breasts.
With a pork butt - you are smoking that for pulled pork, correct? or, are there other recipes/uses for the pork butt. Same thing with pork shoulder?
Thanks for helping a rookie out.
:rolleyes:

Pulled pork for me, a personal favorite. I'd hit the butt or babybacks up next. Can't go wrong either way...ah hell put in a butt they're too darn good and you got me hungry for a good pork sammie now...

Do a butt. One of the best things about a pork butt is that they are almost impossible to screw up. Just make sure you cook it long enough (over 200* til the bone wiggles loose or a proble slides in like warm butter). You can google for Chris Lilly's pork butt recipe which many like. It has a rub and injection. Honestly though, for your first one, try to keep it simple. Pick up some yardbird rub or use your rub of choice. Throw it on and let it go. You can cook anywhere from 225 to over 300. I usually start low and foil around 160* then crank up the heat to get it done. Good luck.

Also, once done wrap on another layer of foil, cover in towels and rest in a cooler for a couple hours. It will keep cooking and will remain hot in there for quite a while.

Great point Colonel. I cook approx 275 for the duration, no foil here. Pull it off around 195 internal and foil it up then wrap in towels, and toss in the cooler for a couple hrs to finish it off. Comes out too hot to handle still, so you have some wiggle room to hit the exact 'serving time'. I always start it as early as I can because you have the cooler as a backup to hold it in. It may sit in the plateau longer than expected so get it on early and you won't be disappointed. Its like butter everytime.

My personal and the family's fave - either whole shoulder or butts smoked until 190 or 200 F - makes the greatest sandwiches. Pulled pork is also amazing on nachos.. mother-in-law even specifically requested the nachos last visit... I do about 17 lbs a shot and freeze leftovers - also makes a great southwestern soup with some beefstock and corn and taters... Just ran out of it, going to smoke two butts next weekend overnight while I sleep.... You gotta try out the butts - you won't regret it!

Back